www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 28-10-18, 17:16   #91
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

That was a chain around his neck? Tbh I had always thought he'd puked something nasty down his chest, but I prefer the chain interpretation I must say.
Old 28-10-18, 19:19   #92
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Tell me about it! I'm really keen on doing the same thing to Lara's TR4/5 models and I know how difficult it will be. I'm planning to make a map of textures in order to know where what goes...
The only way I found to redo the characters texture was the following:

1. Extract the models using TRViewer.

2. paint the 3D model on Substance Painter and export the texture.

3. The UV map of the model from TRViewer doesn't correspond with the UV map from the game. So I put the HD Texture bellow the layer of the original texture in Photoshop so I can see how it looks, and then I look at the game textures files to see where every piece fit, marquee select the piece, then is all CTRL+C / CTRL+V.

It is really a nightmare!
But I think is the only way...
Old 28-10-18, 21:35   #93
Dustie
Relic Hunter

How odd that the UV map does not match... I'm not sure if this is an issue with TRViewer, or Substance Painter's map? The model is the same and each texture on each mesh face should stay the same too... Gosh I hope I will find some convenient way.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 21:44   #94
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
How odd that the UV map does not match... I'm not sure if this is an issue with TRViewer, or Substance Painter's map? The model is the same and each texture on each mesh face should stay the same too... Gosh I hope I will find some convenient way.
I Know! It makes no sense right?!

This is the mess I'm talking about:

Want to know the worst part?
EVERY level the textures tiles is in a different location... So for each level of the game I'll have to do all the same steps again and again...
Old 28-10-18, 21:47   #95
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

That is probably a cause of classic TR's way of handling the "UV" map. If a texture has a trapezoid shape instead of a squarish format, it will distort half the texture. Here's a link explaining it a bit better: http://www.glidos.net/retext.html?lang=en#correct

EDIT: oooh right, that's what your talking about. Yeah unfortunately, there is no other solution. It is a big pain in the ass but there isn't any solution to that problem. That setback is one of the things that made me take so freaking long retexturing TR2.

Last edited by VictorXD; 28-10-18 at 21:49.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 22:12   #96
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Ah that

That is the result of dealing with just the model textures versus all level textures. Game level files contain textures of all level meshes and objects and the texture map is built by assembling them this way. Since you're using a texture replacement solution of some sort which replaces textures as the game is running, there is no other way than replace those texture pages with mixed textures, sadly...
Old 29-10-18, 02:27   #97
Kirishima
Explorer

They look like tile sheets for making sprites, which wouldn't be surprising to me considering when the game was made.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-18, 09:44   #98
Dustie
Relic Hunter

They're texture sheets, or pages to be specific. Tomb Raider used the old approach of keeping all textures together on texture pages. Newer games moved away from this cumbersome approach. Level files contain all data including objects and each level has a different set of them, and they're all "packed" from biggest to smallest to fit everything in as little pages as possible. That's why the pages change from level to level.
Old 29-10-18, 18:27   #99
Heartache
Professor

lara looks so beautiful
Old 29-10-18, 20:04   #100
TRJTA
Professor

Looks great! Wouldn't it be possible to import higher poly trsearch models into the game? Would improve the project more then added higher res textures to the existing models I think.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote