www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-07-19, 16:16   #1
LuckyEdge10
Archaeologist

Default Should campfires return in the next game?

In the entire trilogy we always had campfires, in which we could improve our skills, upgrade our weapons, create new objects, change our outfit and travel into the game's world.

But...did you actually like this new campfire system introduced with Tomb Raider 2013? And would you like it to return in the next game, or would like to return to the "classic" system with non-upgradable weapons, no new equipment and outfit changing only at the beginning of each level (like Underworld)?
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:31   #2
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

No
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:32   #3
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I wouldn’t mind it. They either do that or something similar, but it can be anywhere instead of pre-decided locations.
Old 16-07-19, 16:33   #4
Samz
Relic Hunter

No.

A real inventory system like the older games for me, where you had more than 4 guns with a bunch of different mostly inferior stat changes.

You never even created new objects you just got minor stat changes like an grindy RPG and I dislike those, let alone when you put it in my adventure game where I'm supposed to be rewarded for exploring.
Old 16-07-19, 16:33   #5
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

I like the idea of campfires honestly, but for Tomb Raider, I think all the upgrade systems are too much and not necessary. Moving forward I prefer a more simplified system that harks back to the classics, not every game needs a million upgrades or skill points. The focus should be on traversal and puzzles, with acrobatic combat.

However, if they made the campfires simply a place to save/ fast travel/ change outfits then I am cool with that. Or maybe make them blue crystals again like the old days ^_^

In a perfect world for me, the focus would be more on supernatural stuff and the game would feel scary again. Making the campfires, or blue crystals or whatever, the only save points without auto-save brings a lot more intensity to not only the combat but traversal and traps as well, making every step an important one and not just breezing through it knowing auto-save has your back.

I would hate this system if the focus was on human enemies too much though. I think what makes is almost horror-like is the supernatural creatures that are flat out terrifying, and knowing you will die to one will make you go way back to your last save makes it even more scary.

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 16-07-19 at 16:37.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:34   #6
Aikon
Explorer

No.

Mainly because:
- I don't want to see recycled content/ideas.
- I would like a modern setting. And campfires are out of place.
- I don't want RPG stuff, skills or weapons to upgrade.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:35   #7
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Personally, I liked it, though I think they went overboard with how many different types of the same weapon and how many different materials there are that can be used for upgrades in RotTR and SotTR. I feel that the simpler system present in TR2013 (or something between it and RotTR's and SotTR's) would work the best.

But, possible unpopular opinion, I would not have outfit changes at all during the game, at least outside of a "new game +" or a chapter or challenge tomb replay. Mostly because I really liked how Lara's outfit got damaged and reflected how much she endured during TR2013, helping in selling the story. I thing details like that would really be cool to have back, but after the first playthrough let players have fun.
Old 16-07-19, 16:36   #8
Rai

I did like the campfires. They work quite well as check/save points for the game. And I liked the idea of Lara needing to camp out for a bit. I mean that's what you do in the middle of nowhere, you build a camp for rest stops. I'm not overly keen on weapon or skill upgrades any more, but they still could be used for weapon and outfit choices, viewing documents and relics if they keep them and fast travel. They work well for the kind of environments we've seen in the origin trilogy and for future wilderness, out in the middle of nowhere locations. However, should Lara ever visit more modern urban locations, even if in the backstreets or rooftops or just a modern building, then no, campfires wouldn't work so well. If camps stay then in such environments, there'd need to be an alternative.

Last edited by Rai; 16-07-19 at 16:37.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:38   #9
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I did like the campfires. They work quite well as check/save points for the game. And I liked the idea of Lara needing to camp out for a bit. I mean that's what you do in the middle of nowhere, you build a camp for rest stops. I'm not overly keen on weapon or skill upgrades any more, but they still could be used for weapon and outfit choices, viewing documents and relics if they keep them. They work well for the kind of environments we've seen in the origin trilogy and for future wilderness, out in the middle of nowhere locations. However, should Lara ever visit more modern urban locations, even if in the backstreets or rooftops or just a modern building, then no, campfires wouldn't work so well. If camps stay then in such environments, there'd need to be an alternative.
I think in Urban landscapes, they should use ATMs!

Urban environments: ATMs or Computers! But the computers have to have a special thing on them so you know it's a save point.
Fire can thingies (like the hobos?)
Old 16-07-19, 16:40   #10
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

No. I like the core of the system but I think campfires, as the look of them, are out of place sometimes. Especially if we are in urban or technologic settings.
I would like another imagery than campfires. It fits the actual theme of the origin era : hunting and surviving. I would feel tired if all of this will return again.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote