Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 14:53   #602
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
How were lara's sassy replies overdone
I think they were overdone in LAU.

Thinking of Lara's encounter with Rutland at the beginning of Ghana. Major cringe.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 15:02   #603
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
She never had a moment of assertiveness in Rise or Shadow. Especially in Shadows case she was far more passive and subservient to those around her then she ever was about following her own desires.

She lacked passion and desire to fulfill her goals

This is more true in Shadow then Rise, but there were instances in Rise that would also go along with what I describe
WHAT?!

ROTTR - she spends the WHOLE GAME obsessed in reaching her goal. Dismisses Jonah in the process, and wants to do it by herself. Requests him to not follow her. She gets threatned by Sofia, and advised multiple times by Jacob to not go after the DS, and instead change her goal. She refuses it. Tells him she will help them against Trinity, but her goal remains the same, with or without their help - eventually Sofia is the one who decides to help Lara.

SOTTR - she spends again the whole game going after her goal. She's the one who goes after the dagger. She's the one who takes it, despite the warnings of not to. She then argues she's the only one capable of preventing the apocalypse. She incites Jonah and the pilot to keep going, despite the storm, resulting in a plane crash. She continues. Gets along with the locals, respects their culture, but is still laser focused in reaching her goals. People try to talk her out of it by telling her it's too dangerous and many people died, and she insists she is capable and willing to try, regardless of the risks. She's the one who motivates Unuratu to fight. She gives Amaru a chance to change his mind despite the pain he has caused her. She continues until the end.
Throughout the game she displays her amusement MULTIPLE times about the stuff she's doing, and finding - the game literally starts with her gazing in awe and taking pictures. She comments of how amazing the places she finds are, and so on. How did you miss this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
How were lara's sassy replies overdone
They simply were. Every conversation, every confrontation always resorted to sass/sarcasm. This was overdone by CLara and LAUra to the point of, in CLara's case, making her a monotoned character to me - LAUra didn't come out as monotoned because, yes it was a bit overdone, at least she displayed other sides of her character, like anger, sadness and happiness

Last edited by Vaskito; 03-07-19 at 15:06.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 15:14   #604
scremanie
Tomb Raider

Sass is the way someone presents or directs a response or emotion. It’s not just talking back to someone. Lara has a lot of sass across all 3 games, and not just when she’s talking back. I’d agree with Vaskito with pretty much all of those scenarios that Lara was giving a lot of sass, and sure, they may have been delivered differently by someone other than Camilla, but it’s still sass nevertheless. I find most of those lines rather memorable and exuding a lot of sass and confidence from the character. The way I see it, Lara in TR13 was naive and cocky in some ways, especially later on in the story. However her attitude shifted from the events on the island and brought her to a sense of maturity rather fast, and we got a character that was numb and unhinged in place of naive and cocky. She had gone through some ****, survived it, and lost a big piece of herself in the process, so she was looking to fill it with whatever means necessary. The Lara in Rise was essentially a shell of her former self, and was just using any means necessary to make herself feel like she was herself. It’s typical behaviour with someone that’s just gone through trauma, essentially fake it til you make it. As the game progresses and she’s starting to find “closure” she’s starting to switch between 2 mindsets; reserved, held back, focused - then we see the other side; unhinged, obsessed, cocky, sassy. The thing is, when this happens, a lot of the cockiness and sass is fake. It’s just a mask to hide her insecurities and show everyone that she is her former self. We see yet another shift in her character later on during the final chapters of Rise, where she no longer can fool herself so she just stops trying at all. Both mindsets meet and she becomes more focused and less cocky, yet still somewhat obsessed, but on a level she feels is in her control. Then later in Shadow, she goes through another traumatic experience (the tsunami) and this completely shifts her yet again, this time she’s obviously triggered and goes into a state of complete obsessiveness and is the most unhinged we’ve seen her, and her emotions roller coaster throughout the entire story. She hits her emotional climax at the oil rig after going through yet another trauma thinking her best friend has just been killed, and we see yet another shift in her character. By the time Shadow has ended, I believe we get a Lara Croft that is mostly focused, somewhat hinged, doesn’t give a ****, and will use sass and snark as a pure defence/coping mechanism because her former self is buried deep inside herself now.
Old 03-07-19, 17:05   #605
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Tbh, sometimes sass only works when that person already has a certain level of fierceness/feistiness and maybe even a competitive nature that shines in their sass and their voice or just because of who you know them to be as a person imo.

Reboot Lara more or less lacks this imo. I’ve realized that reboot Lara possesses a lot of classic Lara’s traits, they’re just massively watered down or they’re portrayed in a different light. Example chart or whatever you want to call it:

Strength - Classic Lara: fierceness and a raw fire that presents itself in her words/voice and sometimes in her nature | Reboot Lara: ability to endure through trials and harsh situations

Resourcefulness - Classic Lara: an instinctive nature that can analyze a sudden situation in moments and make a move | Reboot Lara: a crafty and cunning swiftness to slowly but surely learn an environment, master it to work in her favor, and make the best of any mistake should that happen

Badassery - Classic Lara: remains cool and collected in every situation where she can disarm a guy and command any situation to her advantage | Reboot Lara: similar to her classic counterpart, she can work any situation to her advantage, but she might get gritty and “down in the dirt” to wipe out any enemies should they tick her off

I’ve never been able to explain it, but I’ve always felt like reboot Lara has a lot of “Lara” in her. It’s just portrayed under a different light and it hits different notes. Both Lara’s have a warrior inside her, but they aren’t the exact same kind, which is okay. Some people, including myself most of the time, just want to see some of classic Lara’s side of these traits and the traits that are, in fact, watered down make a comeback.
Old 03-07-19, 18:41   #606
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I think they were overdone in LAU.

Thinking of Lara's encounter with Rutland at the beginning of Ghana. Major cringe.
Legend is a big reason why I'm honestly not pressed for Lara's sass to come back. That game had enough cheesy one liners to make up for the next 10 games.
Old 03-07-19, 18:55   #607
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

For me, Legend just makes me hungry for some good, not overdone sass. I like that reboot Lara’s sass is used more sparingly, but it’s almost too sparingly imo.
Old 03-07-19, 19:05   #608
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
For me, Legend just makes me hungry for some good, not overdone sass. I like that reboot Lara’s sass is used more sparingly, but it’s almost too sparingly imo.
Yea, I can agree
Old 03-07-19, 19:08   #609
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

I think they should go in the direction of TRC.

"I've got the cash, but I don't deal with the monkey"

"Luckily I'm in a generous mood, ah crawled out from under your rock I see?"

"Easy come, easy go".

"Switch roofs? Easy to say from the ground floor, wouldn't you agree?"

"I can't tempt you to jump down and take a look?"

"On your head be it."

"What exactly am I hiring you for?"

etc...
Old 03-07-19, 19:21   #610
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

^ that’s overdoing it to me. Literally the whole convo is sassy/sarcastic replies