www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 10-06-20, 08:05   #1
_Seth
Archaeologist

Question Engine Curiosity

Does anyone happen to know about a certain engine oddity where Lara will seemingly transport somewhere else? It happens when entering and exiting the large windmill in Old Mill, and at the start of the slide in Gallows Tree just before you meet the hanging poet. I can't remember if it happens elsewhere, but it seems Lara's position resets. What is going on here?
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 08:14   #2
ReH_
Student

It is a null-mesh object called "Teleport" this item makes Lara teleport to the point where this mesh is located. I don't remember if was used somewhere else, i only recall Gallows tree and Old Mill.

Not sure why they used it though, if you check the level files you will see the rooms aren't connected, maybe it's related to the cutscenes somehow and how it works (room position, object position, etc)

Hope it helps.

Last edited by ReH_; 10-06-20 at 08:21.
ReH_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 08:35   #3
_Seth
Archaeologist

Thanks, I wondered if otherwise some rooms would overlap with each other if they didn't teleport, but considering the gym ceiling goes into Lara's library in TR3's Lara's Home, I thought that couldn't be a limitation.
Old 10-06-20, 09:26   #4
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

They very obviously used the teleporter in the VCI section where Lara enters a teleporter and then gets transported to a different location. In that case they even added a flash effect to make the teleporting even more obvious. And I guess that since they already had a working teleporter because of that section, they just used it in Ireland to avoid overlapping rooms. The teleporters at the old mill are underwater, so I guess that if they would've made overlapping rooms, the water particle effects would be visible in another room that's not underwater. Years ago I experimented with water rooms in the TRLE and figured out that if you overlap a water room with a non water room, the particle effects will be visible in both rooms. Also teleporters were rather common in 90s games, which actually makes it a bit surprising that Core didn't implement them in an earlier TR game.
Old 10-06-20, 10:44   #5
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Thanks, I wondered if otherwise some rooms would overlap with each other if they didn't teleport, but considering the gym ceiling goes into Lara's library in TR3's Lara's Home, I thought that couldn't be a limitation.
The overlapping only becomes a problem if there are any active objects still left in the room with which, the room you're currently in, overlaps.

This is why, for example, that one wall inside the UFO in Area 51 can seemingly kill you - that room technically overlaps with another, where there's a laser trap (which Core never bothered to de-trigger) which passes by the same tile.

As far as I understand it, if the overlap is simply one of geometry and no (non-static) objects are involved, then it shouldn't be problematic.

Last edited by tomblover; 10-06-20 at 10:46.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 11:12   #6
_Seth
Archaeologist

Interesting stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
The overlapping only becomes a problem if there are any active objects still left in the room with which, the room you're currently in, overlaps.

This is why, for example, that one wall inside the UFO in Area 51 can seemingly kill you - that room technically overlaps with another, where there's a laser trap (which Core never bothered to de-trigger) which passes by the same tile.

As far as I understand it, if the overlap is simply one of geometry and no (non-static) objects are involved, then it shouldn't be problematic.
At the end of high Security compound you can see the open-back truck object overlapping inside the room geometry of the part of the warehouse that opens into the back of the truck.
Old 10-06-20, 13:16   #7
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
At the end of high Security compound you can see the open-back truck object overlapping inside the room geometry of the part of the warehouse that opens into the back of the truck.
Is this when you're on the threshold between the rooms? Like, standing outside, but looking inside?
Old 10-06-20, 14:48   #8
_Seth
Archaeologist

Yes.
Old 10-06-20, 14:52   #9
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

This also happens in the VCI elevators. Lara is just teleported to another area, so the elevator doesn't really move
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 15:08   #10
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
This also happens in the VCI elevators. Lara is just teleported to another area, so the elevator doesn't really move
Maybe this has something to do with the infamous save game glitch?

Although that one occurs all over the level