www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-11-22, 10:09   #901
tlr online
Administrator

Reposting from dedicated thread.

Quote:
Phil Rogers, head of Embracer Group's 12th Operative Group, says Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are exploring remaster opportunities of classic games and mentioned the studio's participation at Unreal Fest discussing transitioning from Foundation Engine to Unreal Engine 5 during Embracer Group's presentation of their Q2 interim report.

"On the creative side we're also exploring a number of opportunities from remasters of some of our classic games to exploring new opportunities and new experiences on platforms such as VR. In April we announced the future of Tomb Raider is on Unreal Engine 5 and at Unreal Fest the Executive Producer and a few of our Tomb Raider Directors took to the stage to discuss switching from our proprietary tech to Unreal Engine 5."

"To us fundamentally this is about the deep routed partnerships that we're creating for the future of Tomb Raider as a beloved franchise across games and all media. Our partnership with Epic Games and our integration of Unreal Engine 5 into our development tool-chain really lets us push storytelling to new levels. We've not released any details yet of our franchise plans but the team are excited to show where we are headed as soon as we can next year."

Phil Rogers is head of Embracer Group's 12th Operative Group comprising Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal. Both studios were acquired by Embracer Group along with a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and more than 50 back-catalogue games from Square Enix earlier this year.

Crystal Dynamics is an award-winning video-game studio responsible for creating and developing a formidable catalogue of games including Mad Dash Racing, Soul Reaver, Whiplash, Project Snowblind and more recently Marvel's Avengers and Tomb Raider. The studio is currently working on a new Tomb Raider game powered by Unreal Engine 5.

Eidos-Montreal is a Canadian-based video-game studio who previously developed the Deus Ex franchise, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and Thief series and worked alongside Crystal Dynamics on Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines4539.html
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-22, 10:10   #902
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Uh weird. For me the writers are the ones pushing the stories, the engine can't do much.
Yeah I don't get it either. How is UE5 allowing new levels of storytelling? What is it doing that couldn't be achieved before?

A good writer tells a good story. The engine doesn't do that. But Gameplay needs to be priority as we all know, except them.
Old 17-11-22, 10:12   #903
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Yeah I don't get it either. How is UE5 allowing new levels of storytelling? What is it doing that couldn't be achieved before?

A good writer tells a good story. The engine doesn't do that. But Gameplay needs to be priority as we all know, except them.
I guess in terms of cinematography, camera work, blendness between gameplay and cutscenes. They mastered that before, I don't see how they can do further than what they have already done before.
Old 17-11-22, 10:20   #904
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post

WellI suggest you try to watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRLnR4Kot2M&t=

Gameplay will be revealed as soon as possible but I don't expect a big change from the others but we'll see.

Plus you get it all wrong since the main appeal was the switch from their own house engine to Unreal 5 so of course they are going to talk about the big main change wich is mainly about the graphical enhancements. They are not going to talk about gameplay and other stuff in a video conference about their entreprise. This is not a video made for gamers but for their sponsorship and stock markets.
Old 17-11-22, 10:27   #905
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

^^^

That's all relating to Graphics. You missed my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I guess in terms of cinematography, camera work, blendness between gameplay and cutscenes. They mastered that before, I don't see how they can do further than what they have already done before.
Exactly. I would have thought storytelling would be the least affected by UE5.
Old 17-11-22, 10:35   #906
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

A little meme about how Eidos still survive and in charge after all this time