www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 27-09-20, 22:49   #41
SSJ6Wolf
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Why does everyone hate quicktime events?
I generally hate having to repeat sequences in a game, so when there's a quicktime event where failure means just starting over to try again, the repetition is irritating. It feels like cheap padding and I'd rather be spending my time doing something more meaty in terms of gameplay.

Of course there are quicktime events implemented in a more interesting manner. For instance, narrative games where the outcome is impacted based on not avoiding certain attacks, or based on which split-second decisions you make. Or an action game where the event doesn't fail you but you start with lower health if you didn't perform the quicktime well. Those things I can live with.

Last edited by SSJ6Wolf; 27-09-20 at 22:52.
SSJ6Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 23:07   #42
Ashnod
Professor

1. Games where the player and the character are given the knowledge to suss out the plot ahead of time and yet have no ability to influence the narrative's outcome. Specifically, what I mean are when journals, letters, or other conceits allow the character to learn things should exploration and curiosity occur. The most glaring example of this I have is Dishonored, where the character can find the journals of the conspirators, use the heart to learn their feelings and secrets, and yet, has to walk knowingly into the betrayal scene without any means to avoid it.

2. Games that give the player agency and choice, then ignore that agency and choice in subsequent titles. I don't want to harp on Dishonored 2 here which is absolutely guilty of this, so I'm instead going to harp on Metro 2033 and Metro Last Night, where it is possible to take a merciful route in the first game, but the narrative of the sequel demands the other route was taken instead. What was the point of allowing me to make the merciful choices in the first game if the second game is going to make me out to have been a monster?

3. On that front - the reverse of this is taking decisions into account but not really acting upon them. I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 3, not for the endings, but the lazy Rachni story (I don't care how difficult it was to come up with an alternate story based on the choice in Mass Effect, that the result of that choice was literally you encounter the Rachni Queen or a fake Rachni Queen....? UUUUUUUUUUGH. On the same front, I had one Shepard tell Mordin Solus to destroy the Krogan fertility research in Mass Effect 2 because she was appalled at how it came into being, but in Mass Effect 3, her explanation for her actions is limited to "the Krogan weren't ready for a cure" which was absolutely not the reason I destroyed the data. If you're going to act upon my prior choices, this can't be hand-waived away for convenience.

4. Boss fights. I don't like them. There's a difference between a fight that is supposed to be challenging, and one that is shoehorned in because gamers expect a boss fight in a game and that boss fight has to be hard as *#%$ because otherwise it's not a boss fight. I'm looking at you, Bloodrayne 2, which had so many gimmicky boss fights and bullet sponge boss fights that really, that's all I remember about it.

That's enough for now.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 23:12   #43
tomblover
Legend

Unskippable cutscenes. Holy ****, you guys. There's nothing that annoys me more.

I'm fine with not being able to skip a cutscene if it's my first time seeing it, and to be fair, my issue has more to do with poor checkpoint placement (i.e. before boss fights), but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
I'm looking at you, Bloodrayne 2, which had so many gimmicky boss fights and bullet sponge boss fights that really, that's all I remember about it.
It's been a while since I last played BR2, but don't most of the bosses have a puzzle element to them?

That's not to say that BR2 isn't a game of gimmicks, because it is ("throw X amount of minions into Y device for gibs = profit") - but I wouldn't say the bosses were all bullet sponges...

Last edited by tomblover; 27-09-20 at 23:16.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 23:16   #44
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post

It's been a while since I last played BR2, but don't most of the bosses have a puzzle element to them?

That's not to say that BR2 isn't a game of gimmicks, because it is ("throw X amount of minions into Y device for gibs = profit") - but I wouldn't say the bosses were all bullet sponges...
Yep, hence why I said gimmicky.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 23:26   #45
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
Yep, hence why I said gimmicky.
Fair enough.

(I hope we get some news about the remasters soon, ugh - would be a great excuse to replay the games)

As far as QTEs are concerned, I mean, I don't know.

I hated the way they were implemented in Legend and Anniversary (which is also what I think a majority of this forum has based their opinion on), but there are plenty of other games where I've had fun with them.

Legend and Anniversary, with their overly generous slow-motion effect and single (often nonsensical) button prompts, weren't really challening.

On the flipside, say in RE4 - the QTEs were a lot more arcade-y, requiring twitch reflexes, and missing one input (often consisting of several buttons to be pressed simultaneously) didn't necessarily mean you would die.

I think an approach like that would suit a TR game much better. That is, if QTEs were to return at all, which, to be fair, I don't think is necessary. TR is not that kind of game at its core (leave the pun at the door, pleathe).

Last edited by tomblover; 27-09-20 at 23:27.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-20, 00:47   #46
Lord Lulu
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post

On the flipside, say in RE4 - the QTEs were a lot more arcade-y, requiring twitch reflexes, and missing one input (often consisting of several buttons to be pressed simultaneously) didn't necessarily mean you would die.
Resident Evil 4 is the first time I encountered the QTEs. I have been hating them ever since. There is no skill involved with them. If you don't like unskippable cut-scenes, then this is worse. As you are forced to watch them for a button prompt. Oh you want to enjoy the story, to bad you have to be on alert for a QTE. If you miss it one time you have to start it all over. I'm looking at you knife fight with Krauser.
Old 28-09-20, 08:20   #47
TR FAN 18
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
Unnecessary and empty open worlds. Maybe its just my open world fatigue but I swear half these games would be better experiences if they didn't pad them with large empty spaces from point A to point B
ReCore comes to mind. My God, the whole world is just so empty. I got so bored that I deleted the game from my hard drive. Thank goodness for Xbox Game Pass, I'd be so annoyed if I had bought the game!
Old 28-09-20, 09:01   #48
indigo1993
Student

- There's only ONE open world game which I love despite/because of its emptiness, and that's Shadow of the Colossus. The game was supposed to be this empty and it helped sell the feeling you were really in a forgotten middle of nowhere. I just remember finding it so enjoyable to roam around sometimes for no reason. However, any other game trying to replicate that has fallen flat. MGS5 I'm looking at u boo. I may love you but I can see your copy&paste little villages with nothing to do.

- Medieval games bore me
- online modes that don't work properly and then have their servers shut down for good.
- characters choosing to split up when clearly that means someone will die. I don't mind people getting separated like Lara and Jonah on the beginning of Rise (actually, thank god they got separated), but it's just a dumb scooby doo thing when they do it intentionally like on the original resident evil for example.
- unresponsive controls. There's few things I hate more than seeing the path, KNOWING what I have to do, but failing miserably every damn time because the character just won't move as intended.
-Strangers giving me side quests. Bit#@ I got stuff to do, I'm not interested in beating up your cheating husband (Assassin's Creed), and I DEFINITELY don't wanna collect your lost toy in Paititi either, stupid kid. The world is ending, get over yourself

Last edited by indigo1993; 28-09-20 at 09:07.
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-20, 14:22   #49
Felix Kroft
Student

Forced Walking

Unskippable Tutorials [Almost wrote Tortillas ]

Too much subtitles, icons, and HUD's on screen

Bloated storylines, like why almost everything has to be epic?

Lack of gameplay freedom.

In TR's or Silent Hills, or in most older games, the player can just explore the world, roam freely, with very little, or no interruptions at all.

I just love how in TR1 You can just play level after level, and then important cutscene happens afterwards, not during level, or every few steps.
It really makes You want to watch those cutscenes when they are so rare, and it's something interesting, as opposed to being constantly spammed with "epic" setpieces or dramaticly forced dialouges.

A game is a game, not a movie, not a book, just another medium that tells a story, but it should just focus on what it is. A game.
Gameplay comes first, because even if the game has a good story, i rarely replay it because of the plot, i like to play, explore, and have fun.
Old 28-09-20, 19:55   #50
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Nothing related to a specific game but when your controller stops working properly making playing a game impossible, a controller I bought on sale last Christmas but didn't use until recently because my controller I had at the time lasted longer than I thought it would.

The other controllers right thumbstick was malfunctioning making the camera continually pan upwards making playing any game unnecessarily harder than it had to be, I eventually had enough and just got a new one red camo pattern for anyone that's wondering what the pattern is.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote