www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 15-01-19, 16:40   #21
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Not unless it went to a publisher/developer that actually cared and had respect for the classics. Crystal isnt interested in anything related to the classics, they have their precious fartboot Laura and thats all they care about anymore.

Plus even if it did happen, Im sure CD would just self insert fartboot Laura into it or make it apart of the reboot timeline some how, just like they did with Anniversary. Tbh Id prefer them to stay far away from the classics, theyd do nothing but ruin them, just like they have done to the rest of the franchise.
Old 15-01-19, 16:49   #22
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Aiming a Jump with precision is actually part of the charm the classics had. It is part of the fun and the challenge. You were really Lara, and you had to think like her, move like her and breathe like her. I think a succesful remake of the classics should not ditch the manual grab. The games should be remade 1:1 ala Spyro and Crash

I disagree with those saying classic TR doesn't sell, I disagree very strongly!!!

The first 4 Classic TR was on top sales in the PS3 store not so long ago and it was posted in the TR general discussion.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 15-01-19 at 16:53.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 00:15   #23
Portugalraider
Professor

Gonna say what I've already said in other similar threads: it could happen, but I think it would also be much more of an hassle to do when compared to the Crash and Spyro Trilogies.

First, and perhaps the easiest thing to do, animations should be quicker and response to inputs more immediate.

Second, some QoL improvements have to be implemented, like quick access to both heath packs and weapons (something similar to anniversary, where we have both quick access and the ring inventory), and maybe replace the "holding a button" manual grab for something similar to how AoD and axe-climbing works on the reboot, aka "only have to press the button to first grab a ledge" (maybe have it as an option between the two).

But now the biggest challenge the remakes would have: the GRID system. The GRID system is what allows for the environments in the classics to be as interactable (aka grabbable) as they are. However, a consequence of it is that environments are really blocky. And blocky environments would be a big no-no for an HD remaster in the same vein as Crash and Spyro.

Those games had it easy, their environments weren't as interactable as Tomb Raider's environments were, which helps a lot with remaking the games. Of course that it is possible to do environments as interactable as the classics were and have the game have proper-looking environments. But it is much harder to do it. Not impossible, but probably a really big challenge for converting just one game, let alone three at the same time.

I still would like to see them remake one of the classics in the same vein as those games though. Perhaps Tomb Raider II would be the best option, since we already have TRA. Mostly for SE to test the waters with a game with the same design mentality as the classics would be well received and sell well regardless of nostalgia.
Old 16-01-19, 01:16   #24
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Tbh, I have a feeling that people who hated Anniversary might like a remake with controls similar to LAU. I think one of the reasons Anniversary leaves a very bad taste in peoples mouths is due to how watered down Anniversary is in comparison to the original, overall.

But maybe Im wrong. Regardless, I dont think its too hard to find an enjoyable, somewhat modernized sweet spot between the grid system and more fluid controls.
Old 16-01-19, 06:19   #25
fondantcookie
Professor

I wish
Old 16-01-19, 10:55   #26
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I don't think the grid and blocky environments are that big of a problem, they can be hidden. Even the classics, I think, hid them well enough. With current tech, it can be even better hidden. The game doesn't need to look like a game made from the ground up with current gen in mind, everyone will know it's a remake and there are limits to what's achievable. Crash is composed of narrow alleys and no one complained it's not more open and the devs didn't need to open it more. Being blocky underneath is not that big of a deal IMO. Many TRLE levels look less blocky than the originals, if I'm not mistaken, even though beneath the coat of paint they're the same thing.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 12:36   #27
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I don't think the grid and blocky environments are that big of a problem, they can be hidden. Even the classics, I think, hid them well enough. With current tech, it can be even better hidden. The game doesn't need to look like a game made from the ground up with current gen in mind, everyone will know it's a remake and there are limits to what's achievable. Crash is composed of narrow alleys and no one complained it's not more open and the devs didn't need to open it more. Being blocky underneath is not that big of a deal IMO. Many TRLE levels look less blocky than the originals, if I'm not mistaken, even though beneath the coat of paint they're the same thing.
Exactly. This is why having polished AoD gameplay, and maybe a similar art style too, is pretty much the way to go imo. AoD had basically the same gameplay, with some improvements and upgrades, but with a nicer coat of paint.