Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 20-03-24, 15:04   #1
despairslament
Inactive

Default being scammed

why do people do this? as a disabled person on a fixed income i dont have much. and they love instill so much trust before running off . i was already suicidal before this just made me actively suicidal. i promised myself if it happened again i'd do it this time, that's looking more true than ever before. can trust no one
despairslament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-24, 12:12   #2
Dennis's Mom

I'm so sorry to hear this. Yeah, people are dicks. Please don't harm yourself.

Can you report these individuals? Scamming someone is theft.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-24, 14:10   #3
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

despairslament, I recommend reporting this incident to your local authorities. If you want to reach out my PMs are always open.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-24, 01:17   #4
despairslament
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
despairslament, I recommend reporting this incident to your local authorities. If you want to reach out my PMs are always open.
I did. I kept all the info. The game dev legue discord has bunch crawling in it, I had to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. Yeah, people are dicks. Please don't harm yourself.

Can you report these individuals? Scamming someone is theft.
I'm try not too, but whenever I hurt I hit my head repeatedly. it is my fault for falling for it, ignoring red flags. but lots of them like to instill trust and pay upfront.
Old 22-03-24, 06:43   #5
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by despairslament View Post
I did. I kept all the info. The game dev legue discord has bunch crawling in it, I had to leave.

I'm try not too, but whenever I hurt I hit my head repeatedly. it is my fault for falling for it, ignoring red flags. but lots of them like to instill trust and pay upfront.
I used to do this. If you can, please stop! You definitely deserve better for yourself.

As for falling for scams, you're certainly not alone. You're not the first, and you're definitely not the last. All I can say is, you'll become more experienced, more wise. You'll be able to take this experience and make better judgements in the future. But just know that you did nothing wrong. Only that your good will and trusting nature was taken advantage of by someone who's life doesn't have as much meaning as yours.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-24, 08:54   #6
Matie

Scammers are truly sad individuals, please don't hurt yourself. I recommend kitboga's content on YouTube, he usually explains what to look out for, and it's fun watching him waste their time. He always ends his videos with a positive message as well.
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-24, 12:14   #7
despairslament
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
I used to do this. If you can, please stop! You definitely deserve better for yourself.

As for falling for scams, you're certainly not alone. You're not the first, and you're definitely not the last. All I can say is, you'll become more experienced, more wise. You'll be able to take this experience and make better judgements in the future. But just know that you did nothing wrong. Only that your good will and trusting nature was taken advantage of by someone who's life doesn't have as much meaning as yours.
I was taken off the meds because it was such a high dose, to risk of overdose again.
I have sodium nitrite saved as my main method if it gets too much.

I try not to do upfront anymore after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
Scammers are truly sad individuals, please don't hurt yourself. I recommend kitboga's content on YouTube, he usually explains what to look out for, and it's fun watching him waste their time. He always ends his videos with a positive message as well.
i may not been able to get what i lost back. but i did give it one more chance.
Old 22-03-24, 12:43   #8
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by despairslament View Post
it is my fault for falling for it
Abso****inglutely NOT your fault.

You are a victim. The only thing you are guilty of is not leaping to the conclusion that the person you think is your friend is actually a thief trying to do you harm.

But if this is a pattern, you are going to have to change how you do things and while I have no idea the specifics of how people are scamming you, I think (and people here can confirm or deny) that MOST friends don't need your money and aren't going to question you about your finances.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-24, 16:40   #9
Cat Woman

Just had a call from Walmart saying my preorder was ready. I didn’t order anything. I did ask for verification of my phone number which was correct. Said no, not me. Then, she started to ask my name - I had to stop and think…….. no, this is a scam. Really sounded legitimate.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-24, 17:06   #10
despairslament
Inactive

see, the legitimacy can be hard to tell many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Abso****inglutely NOT your fault.

You are a victim. The only thing you are guilty of is not leaping to the conclusion that the person you think is your friend is actually a thief trying to do you harm.

But if this is a pattern, you are going to have to change how you do things and while I have no idea the specifics of how people are scamming you, I think (and people here can confirm or deny) that MOST friends don't need your money and aren't going to question you about your finances.
I was hirign a programmer, and do get started he needed to be paid upfront. is that how all do it?