Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-09-20, 11:21   #1
Chamayoo

Default Was that essential to abandon the adventure/puzzle aspect for TR'13 to be a success ?

I really believe that if the first game was more loyal to Tomb Raider roots, it would keep a great success.
I mean, the game had already everything to be successful. Here strong points :

- A full origin story, everyone wanted to experience the very start of the young Lara Croft
- A massive marketing strategy
- A 5 years gap : enough to make people miss the franchise
- Overall a very fresh and polished gameplay

... That I felt neglecting the core aspect of the franchise and catering to TPS fans might not be as essential as we thought ? I guess if at least the gameplay was already like Shadow, we won't lose that much from casual gamers ?
Maybe between 8M - 10M instead of 11M. Imo would have been worth, still great figures.

What do you think ?
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 16:36   #2
Kapu

Nah, I think TR2013 is great the way it is. I would have preferred more puzzles on the main path instead of hidden away in side tombs, but they're still there. And there's plenty of exploration too, but again, it's off the main path. They didn't abandon those gameplay pillars, they just retooled them. Personally I think the reboot is one of the most replayable games of the franchise. The progression is just right to keep you engaged, and the gameplay is balanced well, too (assuming you go for 100% completion). Rise and Shadow have way too many collectables for my taste. It becomes tedious and boring after a while, whereas the collectables in TR2013 always feel like fun, rewarding exploration. The story is very summer-Hollywood-blockbuster also. Not terribly well written, but still fun and exciting. Meanwhile, Rise and Shadow aren't light or fun enough to capture the same spirit.

I don't think TR2013 would have sold ~3 mil fewer copies if it had gameplay more in line with Shadow. IMO Shadow could have sold as well as TR2013 if marketing had been better. A huge part of TR2013's success came down to a broad, well executed marketing campaign. Like, TR was on the radar of my friends who had never played TR. There was hype and excitement. Didn't happen for Rise or Shadow. Didn't help that Shadow's campaign was built around Lara "becoming the Tomb Raider," as if we didn't already see that happen in TR2013? Dumb.

Also the gameplay of Shadow is practically identical to TR2013, which probably didn't help it much sales-wise, either.

Last edited by Kapu; 04-09-20 at 16:39.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 17:05   #3
Chamayoo

I noticed "abandoned" isn't the right word at all, I should put "downplay" instead !

Personal opinion of course, but I don't agree it's great the way it is.
Mandatory puzzles and exploration, with traps and tombs in the grand of Shadow would make the game only better imo ! Though you agree it would not have hurting the sales very much.

I also strongly believe that what makes Shadow a little less successful than the previous two was mainly the staled formula, and its lack of polish.
Old 06-09-20, 07:20   #4
Heartache

tomb raider 2013 brought a lot of new players but not new fans which made it hard for the other games to change the formula more to cater to the older fans.

many people cried when combat was reduced because they were used to what the new tomb raider game gave them and they didn't care for traps and puzzles and exploration. they wanted to shoot stuff and that's it. and tomb raider should never be only that.
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 12:03   #5
LNSNHGTDS

I feel like they didn't mean to just drop the adventuring and puzzle-solving aspects of the game. And they didn't drop them completely, they're still there. They're just not the main focus which I think in the context of the game make sense. I mean the fact that Lara is still interested to raid tombs and uncover relics in the midst of trying to survive and save her friends kind of illustrates her passion for adventure and archaeology which I think was cool.

Tomb Raider did good both critically and commercially so I think it's fine as it is.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 17:07   #6
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
I feel like they didn't mean to just drop the adventuring and puzzle-solving aspects of the game. And they didn't drop them completely, they're still there. They're just not the main focus which I think in the context of the game make sense. I mean the fact that Lara is still interested to raid tombs and uncover relics in the midst of trying to survive and save her friends kind of illustrates her passion for adventure and archaeology which I think was cool.

Tomb Raider did good both critically and commercially so I think it's fine as it is.
That is a totally fine view.
I totally understand there is no need to change a game that gain a lot if fans and success, but I can't help to think they could do better to satisfied the fanbase.
It depends of the view of everyone I guess, I'm kinda bias because I don't likeTR 2013 as much as the others. I think the same game with mandatory tombs/puzzles (size of Shadow), good chunk of traps, underwater swimming and health management would makes me like the game much better and closer to the roots ! (Oh and animals/supernatural enemies as much as humans)

Oh and "abandoned" was an error of mine, "downplayed" would be much more appropriate !

Hmmm I guess I just have to get over it, like Sir JackRaider would have said. This is history now.
However like Heartache, I'm also baffled that now the gaming public complained of complicated puzzles and slow pace in a Tomb Raider game. I mean, that is what defined the series for me. I guess it's the side effect after the great success. Oh well, hope the next installments will regain the reputation of the franchise to be action and adventure game.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 07-09-20 at 17:13.
Old 08-09-20, 09:44   #7
larafan25

They could make TR1 today and it could be a big success like TR2013.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 17:45   #8
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
They could make TR2 today and it could be a big success like TR2013.
I fixed this. My personal dream.
Old 10-09-20, 02:56   #9
Bridge
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I fixed this. My personal dream.
I finally got around to playing TR2 since I got it on GoG and it's a very solid game.
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-20, 22:33   #10
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
They could make TR1 today and it could be a big success like TR2013.
Not with them tank controls hennie
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote