Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-02-19, 21:58   #30241
Lara_Fan1

I wish they would allow mods on the PS4 & Xbox. Some of these mods are just too good.
My favorite one so far is Mr X being changed into Nemesis.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 21:58   #30242
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

The mods keep getting better
Good, now its like the Darkside chronicles bonus mode.

Also ghost survivors comes out this Friday!
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 22:58   #30243
tpboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

The mods keep getting better
lmao.
tpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 04:05   #30244
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
No, it's the baiting that people don't like.

Several of her comments about the game were just to stir the pot and see what causes her article to spread like wild fire. It didn't seem like a genuine article the whole way through. Had she just focused on her EMT bit entirely, THAT would have been interesting.

The fact she only played till after meeting Marvin was another issues for some. She judges the whole game without giving it a real chance. She wants to rescue people? She'd have gotten her chance when Sherry was introduced.
What about it makes you think it's "baiting" people.

Also, you're incorrect. The author doesn't say she isn't giving the game a real chance. She says she's still early on in the game at the time the article is written. That implies the opposite of what you're saying, that she actually intends to finish it.

It looks like fanboys can't appreciate people looking at their game and making critiques. Just because you don't agree with criticism don't mean it's "baiting" people.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 04:14   #30245
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
She says she's still early on in the game at the time the article is written. That implies the opposite of what you're saying, that she actually intends to finish it.
Wouldn't you argue it was then too early for her to write the article? Especially if elements she speak against get specifically addressed or improved further into the game? Why would one write such extensive arguments and paragraphs about something he/she just scratched the surface of? Wouldn't it feel unjustified, biased, or invalidated right off the bat?

Unless of course she wanted to give an "early impression" article, but by the look of the title and the general statements/assumptions she made, it doesn't feel like an early impression but conclusions made from the beginning of the game.

... Which bring us back to the fact some people are a little bit triggered by that. She's free to write what she wants, when she wants and have the opinion of her choice. But it's just a basic etiquette that if you're to speak of a product in such depth and bring arguments "against" it, the least you can do is to know all its content, otherwise your statements become unfounded. We get taught this very basis at school and it remains true in everyday life: to do your researches and know your subject before talking about it. It's just the normal thing to do. IGN had to update their review specifically because of that: they misunderstood something they spoke against.

If it was an early impression she should have stressed it more (including the title), but she briefly glossed over that.

I'm not affected by her opinion nor her article, but she short herself in the foot. When your article is titled with "I Wish 'Resident Evil 2' Let Me Be a More Compassionate Hero" yet you spend half of the game saving Sherry or Ada, your credibility gets instantly thrown out of the window before even the content is read. It's unfortunate, but that's on her.

She should have waited to be done with the game first.

Last edited by Isaac; 12-02-19 at 04:54.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 05:09   #30246
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:

Also, you're incorrect. The author doesn't say she isn't giving the game a real chance. She says she's still early on in the game at the time the article is written. That implies the opposite of what you're saying, that she actually intends to finish it.

It looks like fanboys can't appreciate people looking at their game and making critiques. Just because you don't agree with criticism don't mean it's "baiting" people.

Oh, I don't know:

Quote:
Early on, protagonists Claire and Leon hear a radio message instructing all citizens to head for the station.

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?
You don't see the problem with this random statement in this article about being a different kind of survivor? There is literally no reason to bring this up in the article other than to try and stir **** up and get a reaction out of talking badly about cops as a whole. Literally nothing in the game even alluded to any type of racism for this to be a point of mention.

Also at the time of writing this article, that is where she had played the game. So there is nothing factually incorrect about my comment. She didn't finish Claire's scenario, which has her trying to help several people to varying degrees:

- Convenience store guy
- Arklay Sherriff
- Elliott
- Marvin
- Sherry
- Annette

So her article ends up falling flat because it's not true.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 05:11   #30247
trfan16

Quote:

But some of the problems she points out with the game makes no sense at all. Not being able to treat Marvin's wounds has nothing to do with lazy writing. Marvin has already been infected with the T-Virus 2-3 days prior to Leon and Claire entering the RPD. And then he turns into a zombie that same night. Even if you were able to treat Marvin with FAS and Herbs, you still would not be able to save him since those items do not stop virus progression. Maybe they could've allowed the player to treat Marvin and have him appear later in the game similar to Richard in REmake.

Claire riding into Raccoon City with a loaded weapon is simply a gameplay mechanic. In the original game, she arrived into Raccoon City with only a knife before Leon gave her the gun from his cop car. Since the knives in the REmake are meant to be for defensive purposes and can now actually break, it would make little sense for that to be her starting weapon. Hence the reason why she uses a gun for the gas station scene. I doubt the writers were trying to be insensitive with her riding around with a loaded weapon.

With that being said, I will admit I was harsh with the pretentious writing comment and I take back that statement. Maybe she's not familiar with the Resident Evil lore, but as Isaac mentioned some stuff like basic research or waiting to finish the game first before would've answered some of these questions before writing the article.

Last edited by trfan16; 12-02-19 at 05:16.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 06:36   #30248
Daft Raider
Inactive

With RE3 having more environments from the streets of Raccoon City, I’m a little worried if Capcom can make those environments actually feel like a real city, because honestly, all the outside segments that take place in the streets in the RE2 Remake didn’t really feel that well done in therms of realism, like come on, the street beside the gun shop being COMPLETELY gone, that was a bit silly, what kind of construction like that would be allowed so close to a police station? Also, what kind of construction were they doing exactly? It’s such a massive empty space, it’s just not believable.

Also the area just before the Orphanage, the way that street is set up literally doesn’t make sense, there’s two lanes of traffic for each side, coming and going, and it leads into a right turn with a big ass intersection for the right turn, but there’s no traffic lights in the intersection at all, it’s just empty. I noticed it when I was playing through my last Claire run and was so dumbfounded.

This combined with the very basic block letter signs for each store doesn’t help. there’s a cute reference to Mikhail with one of the store front signs that looks really simple but nice, I’m not sure why they couldn’t do more like that, most are just big block letters that say “RESTAURANT” on the building, it’s a very video gamey and uninspired thing to do, specially when photo realism was such a major thing for them, the street environments feel very fake. I hope they can improve this in the re3 remake and make RC feel more like an actual realistic functioning city.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 07:51   #30249
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
the street beside the gun shop being COMPLETELY gone, that was a bit silly, what kind of construction like that would be allowed so close to a police station? Also, what kind of construction were they doing exactly? It’s such a massive empty space, it’s just not believable.
You've never been to Montreal, haven't you? our streets are constantly in construction, main streets get constantly blocked for renovations and so on. It's a mess.

Maybe that's why they took inspiration from the city!

But seriously yes, it felt weird. In retrospection I don't like the outside sections of REmake2, the idea of venturing out in the streets to reach the next location.

When the car crashed at the beginning of OG RE2, the city was in chaos, in complete fire. Wreckage everywhere, corpses all around, zombies at every corner. Even in RE3 when you walk around it's a complete mess and you always hear zombie moans in the distance. None of that transitioned in REmake2. The original games managed to make the city feels "alive" despite being inhabited by deads, but REmake2's city feels actually dead lol. Would explain why Chief Irons managed to drag Sherry to the orphanage just fine, something I wouldn't have dared to do in the classic RE games.

More so, in OG RE2, we were trapped in the RPD and every exits we found only brought us deeper and deeper underground until the lab. Going back outside was never an option. Yet in REmake2 we can enjoy our evening night outside under the rain.

The streets didn't feel chaotic nor dangerous. I killed all the dogs and I was completely safe, even when I came back from the sewers. It was way too quiet and clean for my taste. Raccoon City didn't feel wrecked. Doesn't help that most cars had low-res texture. smh.

Last edited by Isaac; 12-02-19 at 08:13.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 09:06   #30250
Daft Raider
Inactive

Lol, trust me even in my little American town our streets are always under random construction, but I’ve never seen literal several stories deep sized chunks taken out of the middle of the road for whatever the hell they were doing, lmao.

Gosh, the entire intro to the original will always be such a rush, I honestly don’t like the whole beginning of the remake, I love everything after you get to the RPD tho, but the gas station, and the car crash was re created very poorly imo.

Yeah you really hit the nail on the head with the rest of your post. They didn’t do a very good job of conveying the feeling of a city that’s in shambles because of a viral outbreak, the outside sections with Leon and Ada feel like they went on a brisk walk at 1am lol. It’s really disappointing, the original made the city so intriguing, we got to see just enough of the city that it left me craving more, I always loved the atmosphere of the areas within the gates of the RPD, but were outside, the ominous moans of the zombies in the distance was such a subtle but effective way of making it feel like the city was alive and created such depth that was very sadly lost in the remake.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 12-02-19 at 09:08.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote