Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 18-11-19, 13:53   #11
Tombraider95

Although I still use ngle and am happy to do so for now, I do understand people wanting to use Tomb editor. It would definitely make BTB feel fresh by still having ngle.exe as an option but also Tomb Editor if people wish.

They're both just editors though aren't they? Both are able to create the same thing but TE is just more reliable and user friendly?

Could TE not be included in the package in a way that allows you to build the level, but still have the restrictions as part of the competition?
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 13:56   #12
Nemo20

I can build a level with the TE in 1/3 of the time. as with the old LE

Since i Build again (August). I finished almost 3-4 levels.

Last edited by Nemo20; 18-11-19 at 13:59.
Nemo20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 14:07   #13
Sabatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo20 View Post
I can build a level with the TE in 1/3 of the time. as with the old LE

Since I Build again (August). I finished almost 3-4 levels.
I am In But I would prefer to do that in TR .. I would use the script, Tomb4,exe from you. I will use only TE as an editor ... but ok I need to learn NGLE again
---------------------------------
I am not happy to use NGLE editor but I will definitely participate ... Not just because I want to do that. But I think we should be at last happy for another BTB package I believe the team did a good job and they spend so much time

Last edited by Sabatu; 18-11-19 at 14:09.
Sabatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 14:11   #14
Talos Munera

Sounds very interesting. But the Lara of the render is reminiscent of Rise's... so there's going to be this Lara? I can't wait to see the outift, the package and the levels

Good luck to the builders

Last edited by Talos Munera; 18-11-19 at 14:25.
Talos Munera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 14:16   #15
Chronicles5

It's exciting to hear about another BTB, and I really appreciate the efforts of the team to make this happen!

Unfortunately I won't be able to participate this year unless Tomb Editor is a building option. NGLE simply has too many issues running on my computer for me to commit to building a level with it again.

Considering NGLE's stability issues, and that a large number of new builders are learning Tomb Editor and not NGLE, I really think Tomb Editor should be considered as an option. Otherwise, many builders both old and new are going to feel excluded and this won't help with declining level release numbers.
Chronicles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:00   #16
LoreRaider

I would like to join this year as well unless Tomb Editor isn't an option.

I agree so much with the others, I wonder why the new editor isn't (so far) a possible editor for this competition, especially reading the "complain" about lots of people joining but not releasing a level...
The main reason why people don't release their work, it's because of the editor working really badly, slowly, and crashing in newer systems
I've completely ditched NGLE for 1 year now, and downgrade to it for releasing a level I would love to work on isn't the best option I would like to take...

There are so many benefits on including Tomb Editor as another editor, the ones I have in mind mainly are that:
-the editor (as said before) it's faster to work with, more stable, more compatible with newer systems and there's no brutal lag which leads the program to crash and leads you on frustration (especially with BtB, where wads are reeally heavy to work with)
-you can import your .prj built with NGLE on Tomb Editor in case you want to switch it in the meantime
-and as said before the fact that people will love to work on something more instead of just joining the competition

Aside from this, I wonder how much the scripting it's limited, I really hope that basic TriggerGroups are allowed, especially when it comes to triggers limit so you can save a lot of them, or maybe Organizers, which helps a lot on timing events or moving and rotating objects with Parameters

That being said, I really hope all those opinions will make a change on this
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:01   #17
Matie

I'm really happy TRNG is finally included, but I'm afraid it may be too late for that.

In my personal experience, the reason why I couldn't build any levels and ended up dropping out was partly because of being restricted to old tools nobody uses anymore and are quickly becoming out of date and nearly unusable. Now we have a wonderful thing which is Tomb Editor that got so many people back in the saddle. If BtB is to be kept alive, it needs to pick up the pace and be a bit more accepting and sensible towards change.

I know it wouldn't be acceptable to use TE in this case, because it does't produce a .TOM file and it's not possible to run the level converter to make sure nothing was modified in the wad. I do understand the sentiment behind going through this process, but why not trust the builders with this instead? If anyone makes modifications to the assets, it will be noticed anyway, and they would immediately be disqualified. I think it's enough to put this responsibility on the community, disqualification is a punishment that should be strong enough to prevent this from happening.

Also giving people the freedom to choose between NGLE+TRNG and TE+TRNG would be a good idea. According to a recent poll, a significant number of people still use NGLE+TRNG, but many have switched to TE now. I think the benefits would easily outweigh the drawbacks.

That's just my opinion, I don't mean to be demanding or anything of the sort, I'm trying to help. I simply feel that the balance is off in some things. I do appreciate all the effort that went into creating this package for builders to work with, it's not an easy thing to pull off and I'd hate to see it fade away due to the above.

Last edited by Matie; 18-11-19 at 15:05.
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:39   #18
SrDanielPonces

Honestly, I registered in BtB Persia and ended up not finishing my level because I felt too limited with the old TRLE. I'm glad TRNG is finally supported, however, that should have been done 10 years ago. Now that we have a better and more stable editor, we end up with the same the same problem: having to still use old resources.

That's my opinion, good luck to everyone
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 16:49   #19
Tombraider95

I have another suggestion nothing to do with the editor but something else which might help bring people in.

I think it would help if we got shown a small glimpse of what the package involves. Yes we have that lovely cover art and a small description of the levels we could create, but some shots of what the package/theme actually includes might help to inspire what people can build. The cover art doesn't really show off much.

Its been done before, BTB Venice had a poster with shots of part of the texture set and some rooms built to give a flavour of the package. Something along the lines of this would probably help!

Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 17:34   #20
dinne

I'm too busy to participate, my life is messy af, but I would like to at least consider it. I don't mind much if it's TE or TRNG because I'm really not an advanced user so I can't really say anything, my only limit is time and life.
A question, anyway: will this BtB feature a Reboot-like Lara, like in the banner? As appearence and voices... That would make me figure out what kind of "mood" is proposed.

Last edited by dinne; 18-11-19 at 17:46.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote