www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 29-06-22, 12:07   #11
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Block Shenanigans In Tomb Raider 2:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-neZ7AfLo

The focus of this video is on shenanigans regarding blocks; 1 block from Offshore Rig, as well as 2 blocks from Barkhang Monastery.

In Offshore Rig, there are 3 moveable blocks in the room that you start off in. They don't serve useful purposes; they're just there to get in your way. You're meant to move them out of your way and pull a switch which opens a door that enables you to escape from the room that you start off in. The door doesn't stay open permanently; it closes again after a certain amount of time has elapsed.

I was able to move 1 of the blocks so that it was right next to the door, and in your way if you were to try and pass through. By using good timing and precision I was able to glitch through the block and make it out of the room. I also managed to pull the block out of the room with me. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take the block any further. When the block was in the space that I moved it to, it was as if the block had lost its physical existence. I couldn't push/pull the block, or even produce the animation where Lara goes to grab the block before pushing/pulling it. I was able to walk straight through the block as if it wasn't even there.

I encountered similar oddities in Barkhang Monastery. There is a room that you have to pass through when heading for the courtyard area. The room contains a number of blocks, 3 of which are moveable. There are 2 blocks that are on top of other blocks. One of the upper blocks can be moved; the 2 other moveable blocks are lower blocks. In the video I pulled 1 of the blocks so that it was blocking the entrance. That didn't stop me from having access to the room; I was able to get into the room with a glitch. From there, I moved the moveable upper block onto the top of the block that was blocking the entrance. Usually you can't move a block when its got a block on top of it. But in this video I pushed the lower block, even though there was a block on top of it. The upper block stayed where it was, despite the fact that there was no block underneath it. Visually, there was no longer a block obstructing the entrance. Physically though, it was as if the block was still there. I couldn't go through the empty space where the block was; I was stopped as if the block was still there. The upper block was present visually. I could also do the animation where Lara goes to grab the block with the intention of moving it, but I wasn't able to push/pull it in any sort of way. I was also able to travel through the block, like with the one in Offshore Rig.

I can't imagine any of this having any useful purposes but I found it interesting and therefore decided to share it.
Old 29-06-22, 17:10   #12
Wolf 7
Historian

That was very interesting O:
Old 30-06-22, 15:48   #13
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Safely Dropping Down Into The Ditch (Area 51):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVyb55dre8

This video focuses on the part of the level that has 2 switches. 1 of them opens a set of doors, whereas the other opens a different set of doors and causes a trapdoor to rise up so that you can stand on it. You have to push both of the switches so that you can make it through the first set of doors, along the trapdoor, and then through the second set of doors. This leads into a room where you can make further progress. The doors don't stay open permanently; the doors close and the trapdoor collapses once a certain amount of time has elapsed. You have to push the 2 switches in a particular order as the function of 1 of the switches lasts longer than the function of the other.

If you're stood on the trapdoor when it collapses, then you would fall into a ditch and be killed by the drop. However, in this video I show you that it is possible to make it to the bottom of the ditch without dying. When you pull the first switch, don't pull the second switch straight afterwards. Instead, give it a bit of time; the amount of time that I gave it in the video should be about right. By doing things this way, the trapdoor will collapse before the second set of doors closes. This means that if you make it into the room and stand near the second set of doors, then when the trapdoor collapses you can grab the ledge and drop down. The fall will do a lot of damage, but you will survive if you have a full healthbar. You are then free to explore the ditch, although there isn't anything down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 7 View Post
That was very interesting O:
Thanks. I'm glad you think so.
Old 01-07-22, 12:38   #14
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Trapdoor Glitch Near The Rocket In Area 51:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9g33cBenuY

This video focuses on a glitch that I stumbled upon in the area where the rocket is. If you're not using glitches, then you would have to launch the rocket in order to be able to complete the level. There are ladders near the rocket that you are meant to climb up in order to proceed with the level. There are trapdoors on the ladders which stop you from being able to climb to where you need to get to. Launching the rocket causes the trapdoors to collapse, enabling you to climb up the ladders to the next part of the level.

With glitches, it is possible to complete the level without needing to launch the rocket. When doing the glitch, you do briefly stand on top of the first trapdoor. So the trapdoors have to be closed in order for the glitch to work. When I tried doing the glitch, I ended up falling straight through the trapdoor instead of landing on top of it. From doing a bit of digging, I came to realise that I was able to climb up the ladders and go straight through the trapdoors as if they weren't there. The trapdoors did have a visual appearance, but they didn't seem to exist physically.

I came across the glitch when doing a playthrough for the level with some added challenges. I was recording myself doing the level, and the whole video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaq...p&index=3&t=2s
Old 02-07-22, 08:02   #15
SuperFrancyBro
Hobbyist

Smile

Wow. This is amazing!
You know the best glitches
SuperFrancyBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 12:43   #16
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Skipping Both Sets Of Boulders At The Start Of Tibetan Foothills:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aNPis42K8w

When you slide down a slope near the start of the level, a set of boulders get triggered. If you proceed onwards, then a second set of boulders trigger. It's been known for many years that the first set of boulders can be skipped, and without the need of any glitches. However, I'm yet to see a video of somebody skipping out the second set of boulders. In this video, I show you that it's possible to avoid triggering both sets of boulders.

I avoid the first set of boulders the same way that everybody else does; by using a jump that enables you to bypass the boulder's trigger point. A glitch is required in order to avoid triggering the second set of boulders. I show you the boulder's trigger spot, and I show you myself avoiding the spot. I don't think that this would be useful in speedrunning since this looks like it's a slower way of going about the level, and speedrunners don't appear to have much difficulty dealing with the second set of boulders when triggering them. However, anybody who doesn't want to have to deal with the boulders can now skip out both sets of them by using the techniques demonstrated in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFrancyBro View Post
Wow. This is amazing!
You know the best glitches
It's nice that you think so. Although, I wouldn't say that I know the best glitches; I've been a lot more impressed by some of the discoveries made by other people, as opposed to the discoveries that I've made.
Old 03-07-22, 15:19   #17
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

How To Skip Every Bird In Tibetan Foothills:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8WmZYOEYwE

There are a total of 4 birds that feature in this level. All 4 of them feature during the earlier stages of the level. It's been known for years that you can skip the first one by jumping to the right at the very beginning of the level, rather than slide down the slope. It's also been known that you can skip the fourth bird by jumping over the canyon, although the fall does cost health. I uploaded a video years ago showing you how to skip the second and third bird. With all of this in mind, there have been ways of skipping every bird. The only disadvantage is the health loss that you sustain from the fall when skipping the fourth one. In this video, I show you how to skip all 4 birds, and without losing any health.

I skip the first bird the normal way; I jump to the right at the start of the level. I skip the second and third bird the same way that I skipped them in the previous video that I mentioned; I used a glitch to avoid their trigger spots. As for the fourth bird, there are different options. You could avoid the bird by jumping across the canyon, but this would cost health. You could avoid health loss by taking the normal route, but this would result in the bird being triggered. There are 2 other options that I found, both of which skip the bird and without costing you health. For the first method, I used a flare-wall glitch to reach an area that shouldn't be reachable. I was then able to make my way around to the other side and drop down unharmed. For the other method, I dropped down into the water and used an underwater flare-wall glitch to take me onto a bit of land. From there I was able to jump onto the side that I needed to be on, and without taking damage.
Old 04-07-22, 12:16   #18
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Snowmobile Shenanigans (Tibetan Foothills):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvF2PrcH_y4

This video focuses on the snowmobile, which has a significant role to play in this level. It's only the second vehicle in the series that you can operate during gameplay; the first was the boat in the Venice section of this game. The snowmobile is also the first vehicle that you get to use on land, and it's the first vehicle that you can kill enemies with. This video mostly focuses on a few shenanigans involving the snowmobile. This video is not meant to be informative or educational; it's only intended as a bit of fun.

I begin by leaving the snowmobile on the centre of the drawbridge, and then proceed with that part of the level on foot. After the avalanche, I try to return to the snowmobile but don't have any joy. The drawbridge collapsed during the avalanche and the snowmobile remained on the exact spot that it was on. The snowmobile was in the air and out of reach to me, meaning that I couldn't get back onto it.

In the next clip I had travelled beyond the drawbridge and left the snowmobile near the area where the avalanche takes place. When I try to return for the snowmobile, it is nowhere to be seen. Presumably, the snowmobile either would've gotten destroyed by the avalanche or buried by snow.

In the following clip, I go slightly further with the snowmobile. In fact, I backtrack after the avalanche and can see a bit of the snowmobile in the wall of snow that can't be accessed. I do try to mount the snowmobile but don't have any joy, despite the fact that some of the snowmobile does have a visual appearance.

I finish by attempting to steal a different snowmobile from one of the enemies, since I kept losing my own snowmobiles. However, I killed the enemy with the Grenade Launcher which also caused the snowmobile to blow up. This therefore meant that I couldn't have the enemy's snowmobile either.
Old 05-07-22, 12:46   #19
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

How To Avoid Triggering The Hook In High Security Compound:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdE8qze3Lo

Towards the end of this level you have to kill an enemy who drops a Yellow Security Pass which is needed for opening a door and completing the level. In order to reach this enemy, you have to kill a different enemy who drops a Blue Security Pass. This grants you access to a switch which sends a block to the bottom of a ladder which was initially too high for you to reach. By standing on top of the block, the ladder is no longer out of your reach. From there, you have to climb up the ladder onto a platform and then use monkey swings. When you climb onto the platform, a hook gets triggered which can harm you and obstruct you. In this video I show you a way of avoiding the spot that triggers the hook. The spot is on the platform, directly above the ladder. When you climb onto the platform, you are immediately on the trigger spot. However, in this video I demonstrate that it's possible to avoid the spot if you shimmy to the right and then pull yourself up. You can then proceed with the monkey swings without having to worry about the hook.

I am aware that there are glitches which enable you to complete the level without needing to use the monkey swings. There's one glitch that enables you to complete the level without needing to kill the enemy as it's possible to use one of the previous Yellow Security Passes to open the door. There's also a glitch which sends you straight up to where the enemy is, bypassing the monkey swings and hook. With that in mind, this discovery might be irrelevant if you're using glitches. However, if you're not using glitches then it's not so easy to complete the level without using the monkey swings. This trick of avoiding the hook's trigger spot is glitchless; it's not a glitch and doesn't require the use of any glitches. This trick could therefore have some use if you are completing the level without glitches. The reason why I shared this was to give people the opportunity to use this trick when playing the level glitchlessly.