www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: What is your overall opinion of Shadow?
I like it. 115 47.72%
I mostly like it. 89 36.93%
I mostly dislike it. 26 10.79%
I dislike it. 11 4.56%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-19, 09:36   #81
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Dude chill lol
Gal, I'm chilled. This kind of post is unecessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
When developers say they 'judge her by her actions', it's natural to expect something deeper than a simple 'hey!' when you bump into them, which is in literally every game nowadays
They have two types of reactions:
The ones I've mentioned, and the ones through dialogues, both in side-conversations as well as direct interactions - this is what I believe they meant. How else would you suggest them to react? Beyond the main story and side quests, you can't do anything in Paititi to trigger a reaction from its people, beyond running into them. There's a father scolding his child accusing him from breaking their pottery, dismising the kid' justifying it was a woman (Lara) who did it running around - I think they were maybe talking about this kind of stuff

Last edited by Vaskito; 02-08-19 at 09:43.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:04   #82
killchan
Archaeologist

I disliked it.

I could go on a 10 paragraphs long rant to describe how I felt about it (I even made a 30 min long video about it that I'm not gonna post here because you guys did nothing wrong to deserve it )

BUT

because I'm done with that life , I'll just say that in the end it all comes down to the fact that, to me, everything about the content felt too easy and irrelevant, and everything about Lara (from the character, to the very act of moving around) felt unfun.
Old 02-08-19, 10:25   #83
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Thank you for this beautifully elaborated reply
wait were you citing that as an actual example of npc reactivness? luv the minimum is what
Old 02-08-19, 10:36   #84
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
wait were you citing that as an actual example of npc reactivness? luv the minimum is what
What kind of reactivness where you expecting, beyond the reactions of bumping into them, as well as story-related conversations?
Old 02-08-19, 10:36   #85
killchan
Archaeologist

Quote:
I don't know about npc reactivness in this game, but if you place Lara next to the pachata pachata dancers, she will nod with the beat.

Last edited by killchan; 02-08-19 at 10:38.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:43   #86
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Didn't TR2013 had the solarii talk about the events in the island as the story was progressing?
You could eavesdrop their conversations which was kinda cool.

But I guess when it comes to SOTTR the technology isn't there yet.
Having NPCs react in a social hub is indeed challenging.

Last edited by SpyrosMonster; 02-08-19 at 10:45.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:44   #87
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
I don't know about npc reactivness in this game, but if you place Lara next to the pachata pachata dancers, she will nod with the beat.
Really? Never noticed it. Isn't it because she's looking at a moving NPC resulting in looking like she's noding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
Didn't TR2013 had the solarii talk about the events in the island as the story was progressing?
You could eavesdrop their conversations which was kinda cool.

But I guess the technology isn't there to have people react to their surroundings in a social hub.
One example:

Quote:
There's a father scolding his child accusing him from breaking their pottery, dismising the kid' justifying it was a woman (Lara) who did it running around - I think they were maybe talking about this kind of stuff
Another example:

In Kuwaq, there's a home if you enter it, its owners will start complaining about people entering their homes without asking as if it was a public space.

Last edited by Vaskito; 02-08-19 at 10:46.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:53   #88
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
Love your signature.
Old 02-08-19, 10:57   #89
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
One example:
Quote:
There's a father scolding his child accusing him from breaking their pottery, dismising the kid' justifying it was a woman (Lara) who did it running around - I think they were maybe talking about this kind of stuff
Another example:

In Kuwaq, there's a home if you enter it, its owners will start complaining about people entering their homes without asking as if it was a public space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
"Paititi's citizens will react at the choises of Lara and will judge her by her actions"
Hm, I guess Lara entering a house uninvited technically is a choice they react to.
They delivered.

Last edited by SpyrosMonster; 02-08-19 at 10:59.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:21   #90
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Poll needs a mixed/neutral option.

There's a lot of things I really appreciate about it. I commend the attempt at bringing back more exploration, platforming and puzzle-focused gameplay. In the moments where it worked, it really was an amazing experience. I love the challenge tombs, and I also love some parts of the main campaign where these gameplay themes were the focus.

It also had the best atmosphere of any Tomb Raider game since the classics, possibly ever in fact. The way they use sound for dramatic effect was fantastic and it was like what the classics were going for, fully realised.

The story and Lara's character really lets the whole thing down though. I also think, as I've said before, the attempts at bringing back Tomb Raider-y gameplay couldn't be fully realised. This is because they were still using the highly-linear gameplay engine, built first and formost for third person shooter gameplay, that CD built for 2013 and Rise.

We have a decent foundation here but going forward, they need to build an entirely new gameplay engine from scratch that puts exploration, platforming and puzzles (with some integrated combat) at the forefront. I also hope there isn't this weird apparent power struggle between developers where one wants to do classic references and inspiration while the other is vehemently against it. I hate that it seems to be that way and that's definitely a big part of what hurt the story and Lara's character.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 02-08-19 at 11:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote