www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 16-01-21, 17:47   #1
DevaWay
Hobbyist

Angry Tomb raider 4: I love and I hate this game

My father and brother had played all the classic tomb raider on the ps1, and although Ive played too, I was too young to pass a single level
After some time, I played the first 3 on my pc and beat them but I didnt downloaded the fourth until some days ago
Im at the cairos level at the moment and im loving this game, already my favorite between the classics, I love the connected levels but I have to say, there are some bs in this game
There are moments where you have to do something so ridiculous specific to progress that I just cant believe
I see many talking about the hook and stick thing, however thats not the worst for me, we have:
Opening hatches on the library, the game never thought we could do this and you can only open them from a specific side
That machinegun in cairos/trenches level
How ON EARTH I would know that we have to shoot that specific spot with one specific gun with a lasersight to destroy it? And its buggy af, there were time were the shot simply would not do damage, a very ridiculous specific angle was needed
The iron gates at coastal ruins. The first two cannot be opened, but the third can be opened with the crowbar
H o w t h e **** was I supposed to know that
First iron gate appears
Press action*
Nothing happens

Second iron gate appears
Press action*
Nothing happens

Third iron gate appears at the catacombs
Ok im not even trying, I cant open these gates, I have to do something right? NO, THIS ONE YOU CAN OPEN

There are just some examples of things that the game just expects you to be a genius and know it can be done, even though we've never had those things on the previous games
I like to beat the games fully blinded, no walk-throughs or cheats, so you can imagine the amount of time I lost walking between Alexandria, coastal ruins and catacombs without knowing what the f to do, until I finally threw the towel and looked at a walk-through and thought: this is bs right here

Ive been stuck on other tomb raider games but after some thinking and rewind of the level I found the solution, but the fourth game I gotta tell you, they took the puzzle genre to another level, to beat it without searching the solution you will need to shoot everything in every possible way and press Action at every wall to see if something happens

Another thing I dislike are the areas where you cannot avoid taking damage, Its just counterintuitive to me. Im a completionist so I like to explore everything and collect every item. I have a ton of medpacks and ammo, but there are so many areas where you cant avoid damage, mainly at cairos with the bugs swarms, I always thought myself: what would a player that doesnt have enough medpacks or the necessary ammo to progress do? I always think about my father and my brother, since they didnt have internet at that age, I think thats the main reason the 4 game was the only one they couldnt beat

You guys had difficulties with this game too?

English not my native language*

Last edited by DevaWay; 19-01-21 at 18:23.
DevaWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 10:27   #2
Los Angeles
Inactive

Yes, you perfectly summarized my thoughts. I always said that Tomb Raider III and IV are impossible without a guide on the first playthrough.

Did you use a walkthrough to figure out the hook thing, etc. or did you eventually figure those things out by yourself?
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 13:32   #3
perryloo
Student

It took me a long time to get through this game, and had to resort to the playthough when stuck, and that was mainly at the puzzles, not good at puzzles. I like the game, but not enough to play it right through again. Its far too long

What I do now is just jump to my favorite levels, and some levels it seems has two different route, took me a while to figure that one out.

I never liked the ending, where you did not know if Lara had died or not, it was like a cliffhanger! OK, we know Chronicles and the rest of the games followed, so she did survive. Thank goodness
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 17:00   #4
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

TR4 was fantastic up until Alexandria, I just find that the design becomes a little more unpolished at that point forward.

Still a fantastic game, though and one of the better of the classics.
Old 17-01-21, 21:14   #5
perryloo
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
TR4 was fantastic up until Alexandria, I just find that the design becomes a little more unpolished at that point forward.

Still a fantastic game, though and one of the better of the classics.
That's because Coastal ruins next door to alexandria became a hub, meaning we could go a lot of different routes and come back to the hub again. Think that was the first time a hub had been introduced in TR games.

TOP TIP. I never knew that the guy in his house in Alexandria gave clues to which way to go, until I read it somewhere. I just went to coastal ruins and never returned to the guy LOL.

I have since played that part again, gone back and forth from coastal ruins to alexandria (lara got tired ) and listened to his different clues.
There is a lot to the game, that we missed the first time.
Old 17-01-21, 22:53   #6
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Your health refills when you go between levels in the hub areas, so running out of healthkits won't softlock you. Crouching let's you avoid most of the locusts damage.

I do like the early bits of the game, found things tedious around Alexandria and just plain lazy afterwards.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 01:55   #7
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
That's because Coastal ruins next door to alexandria became a hub, meaning we could go a lot of different routes and come back to the hub again. Think that was the first time a hub had been introduced in TR games.
Temple of Karnak came beforehand and I feel its design was way more polished.
Old 18-01-21, 14:58   #8
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

i used to really dislike Cairo, but nowadays i appreciate its design and gameplay ideas, even more than alexandria and karnak.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 15:33   #9
perryloo
Student

I liked that abandoned 'Egyptian adventure land' as you leave Alexandria, where there were lots of fairground attractions to play, with Lara life at stake, if you do not win each game
Old 19-01-21, 10:01   #10
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

This is what made the game brilliant in my own opinion.

What you are describing actually I blame it to more to lack of technology and graphics; but still also that is how TR has always been ; even in TR2 and TR3

Take for example the blocks you move; they are all the same sizes; yet you can just move very specific ones; they are marked but it makes no sense as well why the other ones can't be moved if they are just the same size as that, so when playing the classics, it was something normal at the time to just using action button on everything around you in the environment, and try that on anything around you.

It was tiring as hell, but that is what made me like those games; when I saw Lara gasping in the final FMV of that game; I really felt it; she did have a heck of a time on this adventure.

The doors in the Lost Library also, you can open them from one side only; some doors had to be opened from the inside.
It is just the lack of visually representing what the environment really looked at the time; I always used my imagination for that. If lost library is redesigned nowadays, you would see exactly why some doors can be opened from this side and why the other ones can only be opened from the inside.

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 19-01-21 at 10:05.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote