www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 07-02-21, 08:48   #1
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Default PS1 Image quality

I have always played TR on PC, and now I want to try the PS1 versions. I don't have a PS1, so I'm using epsxe. As I have never played the PS1 games, I was wondering if the image quality I'm getting with the emulator is the same than on the original console. What do you think? It also seems to be darker than on PC.

Edit: I'm sorry, I don't know how to resize the images

Last edited by EpicRaider; 07-02-21 at 08:49. Reason: Images too big
EpicRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:59   #2
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

The PS1 is much better with original visual and graphics than PC. Yes, that looks great. The scanline looks great too. I love the scanline. So much the 90's feels

If I was you, get the actual PlayStation console and Sony PVM. Best experience to go with.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 07-02-21 at 09:01.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 09:14   #3
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
The PS1 is much better with original visual and gr0aphics than PC. Yes, that looks great. The scanline looks great too. I love the scanline. So much the 90's feels

If I was you, get the actual PlayStation console and Sony PVM. Best experience to go with.
I'll definitely get them at some point. I tried TR3 on the emulator and it looks great! I love the brighter colors, and somehow it looks less blocky to me. But I'm experiencing some frame-rate drops with TR3 (not with the other games though), specially when close to big water areas. Does it happen when playing on the console too?
Old 07-02-21, 09:27   #4
TombHackR
Golden

The PS1 versions tend to be darker, have more saturated colours and higher contrast between light and dark areas. The PS1 did not have bilinear filtering like in your emulator screenshots.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 09:31   #5
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
The PS1 versions tend to be darker, have more saturated colours and higher contrast between light and dark areas. The PS1 did not have bilinear filtering like in your emulator screenshots.
Is it possible to disable it?

Old 07-02-21, 09:49   #6
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
No, that what Sony PVM are for, bringing the best quality picture and it has an optional setting for scanline on PVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicRaider View Post
I'll definitely get them at some point. I tried TR3 on the emulator and it looks great! I love the brighter colors, and somehow it looks less blocky to me. But I'm experiencing some frame-rate drops with TR3 (not with the other games though), especially when close to big water areas. Does it happen when playing on the console too?
I don't recall of frames drop. TR3 on PS1 always running fantastic continually. May have 1 to 2-second frames drop in some area in the game, apart from that, it's very unnoticeable.

You should play TR3 German version because it has a higher resolution in the game.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 07-02-21 at 09:54.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 10:13   #7
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

I wonder if this is the correct aspect ratio for TR3? and the German version seems to have violet blood

EDIT

The aspect ratio seemed to be wrong. A different plugin corrects it but it also alters the image quality

Last edited by EpicRaider; 07-02-21 at 10:31.
Old 07-02-21, 10:37   #8
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
I have always played TR on PC, and now I want to try the PS1 versions. I don't have a PS1, so I'm using epsxe. As I have never played the PS1 games, I was wondering if the image quality I'm getting with the emulator is the same than on the original console. What do you think? It also seems to be darker than on PC.
When you will finish PS1 version, come back to PC with TR2Main, if you did not try it before. Recently I finished PS1 lighting for TR2Main.
Quote:
Is it possible to disable it?
Yes, just uncheck "scanlines" in the bottom part of settings dialog. Also I recommend to set Texture Filtering to "0: None", because any enhancment will mess up textures with transparent pixels, like chain-link fence in the start of Venice.
Old 07-02-21, 10:46   #9
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
When you will finish PS1 version, come back to PC with TR2Main, if you did not try it before. Recently I finished PS1 lighting for TR2Main.
I did try TR2Main, amazing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Yes, just uncheck "scanlines" in the bottom part of settings dialog. Also I recommend to set Texture Filtering to "0: None", because any enhancment will mess up textures with transparent pixels, like chain-link fence in the start of Venice.
Thank you! Transparent textures are visible now.
Old 07-02-21, 17:19   #10
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

I personally think you should use RetroArch with the Duckstation Core. It provides a much better experience then ePSXe and you can also use a CRT shader called CRTRoyal which is very accurate to a real CRT. I will try to upload a couple of screenshots to compare.