www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 07-02-21, 19:02   #11
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
No, that what Sony PVM are for, bringing the best quality picture and it has an optional setting for scanline on PVM
Uhm, I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Bilinear filtering and scanlines are two entirely different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicRaider View Post
Is it possible to disable it?
Turn off all filtering in the ePSXe settings and that should disable it . It’s been ages since I’ve used a PS1 emulator but that should do it.

Last edited by TombHackR; 07-02-21 at 19:04.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 20:08   #12
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
But I'm experiencing some frame-rate drops with TR3 (not with the other games though), specially when close to big water areas. Does it happen when playing on the console too?
Yes, especially in levels like Thames Wharf. All the ps1 versions had framerate drops in large areas on real hardware. Also if you want an emulator focusing on accuracy and have the hardware run it, try mednafen with a front end like mednaffe.

Last edited by Kirishima; 07-02-21 at 20:09.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 22:26   #13
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Quote:
I'll definitely get them at some point. I tried TR3 on the emulator and it looks great! I love the brighter colors, and somehow it looks less blocky to me. But I'm experiencing some frame-rate drops with TR3 (not with the other games though), specially when close to big water areas. Does it happen when playing on the console too?
I was able to fix the framerate drops by setting the CPU overclock to 150% on the Ductstation core on RetroArch.
Old 07-02-21, 23:20   #14
Yuki Senoue
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
I personally think you should use RetroArch with the Duckstation Core. It provides a much better experience then ePSXe and you can also use a CRT shader called CRTRoyal which is very accurate to a real CRT. I will try to upload a couple of screenshots to compare.
I use standalone Duckstation, and I second you. It is SO MUCH better than ePSXe. See, I used ePSXe for years, but Duckstation is such a great experience that I ditched ePSXe immediately.

So, EpicRaider, give Duckstation a chance. Even TR1, a %$#$% to run in ePSXe, run great in Duckstation. And my dump is one of the weird ones full of BIN files (the audio tracks).
Old 08-02-21, 04:54   #15
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Yes, especially in levels like Thames Wharf. All the ps1 versions had framerate drops in large areas on real hardware. Also if you want an emulator focusing on accuracy and have the hardware run it, try mednafen with a front end like mednaffe.
I'll give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
I was able to fix the framerate drops by setting the CPU overclock to 150% on the Ductstation core on RetroArch.
Thanks! That solved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Senoue View Post
I use standalone Duckstation, and I second you. It is SO MUCH better than ePSXe. See, I used ePSXe for years, but Duckstation is such a great experience that I ditched ePSXe immediately.

So, EpicRaider, give Duckstation a chance. Even TR1, a %$#$% to run in ePSXe, run great in Duckstation. And my dump is one of the weird ones full of BIN files (the audio tracks).
I'm using it with RetroArch. Anyway, ePSXe is running TR1 with no noticeable problems. I realized that I had to open the cue file instead of the first bin and now it's apparently flawless

Edit: I'm replaying TR2 in the emulator, and it's surprising how different some elements look in low definition, eg the ceiling chandeliers at the hideout. I remember playing it on PC for the first time back in 2005 and noticing how much they standed out because of their awkwardness, but the effect is completely different in PS1.

Last edited by EpicRaider; 08-02-21 at 08:35.
EpicRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 09:55   #16
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
I'm replaying TR2 in the emulator, and it's surprising how different some elements look in low definition, eg the ceiling chandeliers at the hideout. I remember playing it on PC for the first time back in 2005 and noticing how much they standed out because of their awkwardness, but the effect is completely different in PS1.
Well... the main problem of PC version look is bilinear filter. But you can disable it, and everything will become more "natural".
Old 08-02-21, 11:13   #17
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Does Duckstation have proper widescreen support?
Old 08-02-21, 14:38   #18
Yuki Senoue
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Does Duckstation have proper widescreen support?
It does.

https://imgur.com/a/hdEd6FT
Old 08-02-21, 15:37   #19
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Well... the main problem of PC version look is bilinear filter. But you can disable it, and everything will become more "natural".
Didn't know that. It looks more similar to PS now. Thanks!
EpicRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 16:49   #20
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Awesome! That's the one feature that made me prefer ePSXe over other emulators while I was always pretty annoyed that I had to change several options for specific games and figure out which options work best (or which work at all).