www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 09-02-21, 02:55   #21
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
No, that what Sony PVM are for, bringing the best quality picture and it has an optional setting for scanline on PVM

I don't recall of frames drop. TR3 on PS1 always running fantastic continually. May have 1 to 2-second frames drop in some area in the game, apart from that, it's very unnoticeable.

You should play TR3 German version because it has a higher resolution in the game.
I remember the deck has frame drops on my ps1
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 16:45   #22
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Senoue View Post
I use standalone Duckstation, and I second you. It is SO MUCH better than ePSXe. See, I used ePSXe for years, but Duckstation is such a great experience that I ditched ePSXe immediately.

So, EpicRaider, give Duckstation a chance. Even TR1, a %$#$% to run in ePSXe, run great in Duckstation. And my dump is one of the weird ones full of BIN files (the audio tracks).
Are you using CRT Royale with Duckstation? If so, how? I have tried through RetroArch using the core called Swan something and I get a black screen with the shader.

Also, duckstation freezes when entering the inventory in TR2 in the levels before and after the Maria Doria. I'm using epsxe to play these parts.
EpicRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 17:33   #23
Yuki Senoue
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicRaider View Post
Are you using CRT Royale with Duckstation? If so, how? I have tried through RetroArch using the core called Swan something and I get a black screen with the shader.

Also, duckstation freezes when entering the inventory in TR2 in the levels before and after the Maria Doria. I'm using epsxe to play these parts.
No, I don't use shaders with Duckstation. And I use the standalone version, not the Retroarch one.
Old 09-02-21, 17:38   #24
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Senoue View Post
No, I don't use shaders with Duckstation. And I use the standalone version, not the Retroarch one.
It does freeze in the stand-alone version since I updated it this morning.
Old 09-02-21, 20:03   #25
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
I remember the deck has frame drops on my ps1
Barkhang Monastery inside the main hall had big frame drops on the PS1 for me.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 21:43   #26
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Quote:

If you want to use CRT Royale, I suggest you use the Swanstation core for RetroArch and set the "GPU Renderer" to "Hardware OpenGL". You need to use the OpenGL renderer right now because DirectX11 isn't working with shaders right now. I remember it worked at some point, but right now it isn't so you will need to use OpenGL like I said. It seems that they recently changed the name of the core, because it used to be called Duckstation.

Regarding frame rate drops, I remember that the original hardware had horrible frame rate drops, especially in open areas. It was so bad that I can't play any of the PS1 versions on native hardware anymore (especially TR3) because it bothers me so much. If you want to fix the frame rate, I find that setting "CPU Overclock" to 150%. In my experience, any higher makes the games speed up beyond its normal speed.

You can access both of these settings by pressing F1 while a game is open. There will be "quick menu" option and from there there will be an "options" option. From here, you will find those settings and more.

Last edited by ToMbRaIdErxFtW; 09-02-21 at 21:46.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 06:40   #27
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
If you want to use CRT Royale, I suggest you use the Swanstation core for RetroArch and set the "GPU Renderer" to "Hardware OpenGL". You need to use the OpenGL renderer right now because DirectX11 isn't working with shaders right now. I remember it worked at some point, but right now it isn't so you will need to use OpenGL like I said. It seems that they recently changed the name of the core, because it used to be called Duckstation.

Regarding frame rate drops, I remember that the original hardware had horrible frame rate drops, especially in open areas. It was so bad that I can't play any of the PS1 versions on native hardware anymore (especially TR3) because it bothers me so much. If you want to fix the frame rate, I find that setting "CPU Overclock" to 150%. In my experience, any higher makes the games speed up beyond its normal speed.

You can access both of these settings by pressing F1 while a game is open. There will be "quick menu" option and from there there will be an "options" option. From here, you will find those settings and more.
It took some time but I finally found the option to change the GPU Renderer. What shader do you use? plain crt-royale gives me a very dark and blurry image, fakebloom-intel works best for me. Unfortunately, the game still freezes when pushing select to access the inventory.

Last edited by EpicRaider; 10-02-21 at 06:50.
Old 10-02-21, 12:28   #28
dcw123
Relic Hunter

The issue I've had with TR1 and 2 on emulators like epsxe, is the crashing.

I managed to get a special version of the game and a special plugin to fix the music and crashing when starting the games.
Runs perfectly on my phone and my old PC.

I'm using the exact same setup (I copied my epsxe folder over and everything) but now in TR1, when playing.. anytime a new music track needs to play (say, for example, the first secret in Caves - or Lara speaking in her mansion) the game will freeze.
I have no idea why.

I do own the PC versions, so I can just play those.. but I do miss the PS1 contrast lighting and the save crystals in 1 and 3, the bigger HUD bars etc
My old PC runs them, but sometimes can stutter as its old LOL
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 17:10   #29
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Quote:
It took some time but I finally found the option to change the GPU Renderer. What shader do you use? plain crt-royale gives me a very dark and blurry image, fakebloom-intel works best for me. Unfortunately, the game still freezes when pushing select to access the inventory.
I have been using the default CRT Royale, but I change the "Simulated CRT Gamma" from 2.50 to around 2.20 or 2.0. That seems to help with the darkness. Regarding the blurriness, I'm not really sure what to do about that. I think you should just play with the parameters and try to find something that works for you.
Old 11-02-21, 07:20   #30
EpicRaider
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
I have been using the default CRT Royale, but I change the "Simulated CRT Gamma" from 2.50 to around 2.20 or 2.0. That seems to help with the darkness. Regarding the blurriness, I'm not really sure what to do about that. I think you should just play with the parameters and try to find something that works for you.
I tried changing the gamma, but this is the output

I'd say it's way too blurry