www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 08-05-20, 07:57   #1
Mek
Student

Default PlayStation console for playing classic Tomb Raider games

I have never played classic Tomb Raider on any console. I would like to finally do it. I mean playing by inserting a real compact disc into the console and running the game, I am not going to use PlayStation Now or PlayStation Network.

I heard that you can play TR1-5 on PSX, PS2 or PS3. Which console would you recommend to buy now for this purpose? Which model/revision? Is it true that all of these versions of PlayStation can be used to play TR1-5 from original PSX discs? Which one would give the best experience and no problems (I heard that PS2 suffered from "read errors" or something like that with PSX games)?

Last edited by Mek; 08-05-20 at 07:58.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 08:22   #2
_Seth
Archaeologist

Most PS3's either cannot play TR1 or TR2 by disc and you have to employ a quick swap method with another disc to get it to work. If you only care about the classics, then a PS1 or PS2 is a guarantee.
Old 08-05-20, 10:02   #3
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
I have never played classic Tomb Raider on any console. I would like to finally do it. I mean playing by inserting a real compact disc into the console and running the game, I am not going to use PlayStation Now or PlayStation Network.

I heard that you can play TR1-5 on PSX, PS2 or PS3. Which console would you recommend to buy now for this purpose? Which model/revision? Is it true that all of these versions of PlayStation can be used to play TR1-5 from original PSX discs? Which one would give the best experience and no problems (I heard that PS2 suffered from "read errors" or something like that with PSX games)?
I own the PS1 versions of TR1-Chronicles. I played them on the PS1 until my PS1 broke. Now I play them on the PS2, but I'm yet to play them on the PS3 or any other console. I like playing Tomb Raider on the PlayStation, but I can't really make comparisons since I haven't played them on anything other than PlayStation consoles.
Old 08-05-20, 11:20   #4
LateRaider
Professor

tr1 and 2 have issues playing on a ps3. however, you should be able to download them off of the playstation network. tr3 onward don't have a problem.

i would recommend seeking a physical ps2 so you have the option of playing AoD (and Legend/Anniversary if you want) as well. the games play fine on a ps2, though i personally have encountered issues with TR1's audio tracks playing. (my disc is pristine, for those wondering)
Old 09-05-20, 10:42   #5
Mek
Student

Thanks After your opinions, I am pretty sure I won't buy PlayStation 3. I'll buy either PSX or PS2, but for now I am closer to picking PS2. I am afraid a little of the "disc read error" that used to happen in these consoles. It is documented here on Wikipedia and on the forum in the thread My ps2 wont play ps1 games !. It is most possible that I'll pick one of the most recent models, i.e. the slim ones (if I have such a possibility, of course), but I must think it through.

I have also a new question. Will I have to buy some PSX memory cards or other equipment to be able to play the classic Tomb Raider games on PS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968
I played them on the PS1 until my PS1 broke. Now I play them on the PS2, but I'm yet to play them on the PS3 or any other console.
Have you seen any difference in Tomb Raider games between PSX and PS2?
Old 09-05-20, 11:47   #6
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Have you seen any difference in Tomb Raider games between PSX and PS2?
I can't say that I have.
Old 09-05-20, 16:28   #7
LateRaider
Professor

you have the option of using fast disc speed and smooth textures for PS1 games which will improve load times and make the game look less pixelly. though you may encounter issues where the CDDA games' cutscene audio is a bit too fast
Old 10-05-20, 10:25   #8
Mek
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider
you have the option of using fast disc speed and smooth textures for PS1 games which will improve load times and make the game look less pixelly. though you may encounter issues where the CDDA games' cutscene audio is a bit too fast
Good to know about this
Old 10-05-20, 10:30   #9
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
you have the option of using fast disc speed and smooth textures for PS1 games which will improve load times and make the game look less pixelly.
I wasn't aware of this. Although I think I've coped well enough even without this.