www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: How many documents should be in the next game?
None 14 13.59%
1-10 12 11.65%
11-50 32 31.07%
51-100 (TR 2013) 33 32.04%
101-150 5 4.85%
151-200 (ROTTR & SOTTR) 3 2.91%
200-250 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-05-20, 08:19   #41
FanosCroft
Professor

zero
Old 24-05-20, 11:46   #42
Raider8
Historian

Okay if we consider this carefully, there are documents that fall in different categories actually. Ones that are obviously historical and about that place/tomb's past, ones that are recorded/written by the the villains of the story and then there are my favorite ones which are about lara's personal life (from her family like in blood ties and from her friends like the cancelled 8th dlc). I'd prefer the later two types more. But that's just my opinion.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-20, 13:30   #43
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I prefer the documents to be mostly historical. Like 95% being historical and 5% being extra bits about the current plot (nothing major, though).
Old 25-05-20, 09:02   #44
XXIIXX
Inactive

The more the merrier. Though to be clear I'd rather the documents have some historical significance to the place Lara is exploring or maybe journals from previous adventurers who weren't as lucky as Lara, I don't really care about the Solarii or Trinity's evil plans.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 10:45   #45
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I didn't really care for the likes of journals from a teacher educating a class, for example.
See this is what I think document etc should be used for. To add detail to the past of the locations but CD/EM use them to move the main narrative and characters forward and I dont think it's very effective.

If you missed some of Hoshi's documents or the army general's it wasnt a bit deal as you still got a full understanding of the story and why things were happening - apart from Mathias but even then the Solarri would make comments that explained his motivations too so even if you missed those docs you didnt miss the key exposition. That's in contrast to Shadow where Amaru's entire purpose and past is explained in a document that you can miss because they dont force you to read it.

I'd much rather them have Lara make audio logs of her thoughts/findings of key story moments or people which can play over the gameplay. Legend worked this way and I think that's why it has the best realised story out of all if CD's games.
Old 25-05-20, 14:38   #46
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I'm not entirely against mandatory documents, but those I prefer to be gameplay elements (something not seen in these reboot games, apart from Blood Ties). Of course mandatory documents should be very hard to miss.
Old 25-05-20, 15:41   #47
moodydog
Relic Hunter

None, I find the whole collectathon orientated design super outdated.
I'd prefer document content to actually be minimal, I'd rather be engaged in the gameplay itself. Id much rather have secret areas, secret shortcuts etc, and then maybe include a lore book with the games collectors edition, and triki (TR Wiki) for people that don't want to spend extra.
However, resident evil 7 did something really cool. You would occasionally find VHS tapes scattered around, which you could play. When you play them, you physically play as the characters they are resembling. This was a really cool way of giving you some background history whilst not breaking you away from actually playing the game, and it actually served as a bit of help to progress forward.
I personally don't play games to read backstory documents, unless it's done in a very Morrowind type way, where playing and understanding the game requires you to read documents, instructions etc. I'd actually class Morrowind as a hybrid text adventure game.

Last edited by moodydog; 25-05-20 at 15:42.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 23:45   #48
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

As with all the collectibles, I think less is more.

I'd prefer they were more exciting or dramatic than what they are at the moment, or revealing clues to secret areas that we wouldn't otherwise know about.

I'd prefer any backstory filling be put in cutscenes not in notes.

And I don't really want things like diary entries from Lara's companions explaining how they all feel about Lara (TR2013). Anything like that we should know from the interactions between the characters.

11 - 50
Old 26-05-20, 14:50   #49
NYCL@R@
Archaeologist

I put none. I normally just look for them just to complete the game but I never pay any mind to them. If it were implemented like RE2 and 3 where in some ways helps you progress through the game play then yes but I could careless about a dead body that dies behind a rock and left his or her last words. All the audio recordings and notes are distracting I dont care for a back story I just want to be immersed without distractions.
Old 28-05-20, 09:04   #50
AshesBorn
Professor

No more than 50. Ideally, around 25 well-hidden ones. Same goes for relics.
Both ROTTR and SOTTR went way overboard. When maps are littered with collectibles, it just feels like you're picking up trash lying in your way.