www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 03-05-20, 21:13   #31
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
For me it never really felt like Kurtis x Lara relationship was even considered by Core. Yes he molested her a bit in the Louvre but that was it. There was never any sexual tension between them and even Murti's old documents don't seem to mention that as far as I remember. Kurtis was only added to introduce a new character that could have had its own spin-off if gamers liked him. They never did though.
the amazon brigade often reference a quote by murti that they say points toward it as "canon" (imo it's as "canon" as pierrson, which is to say not canon at all except in the hearts of the shippers). i'd have to find it but i truly can't be bothered. it went something like "i would've liked to explore what went on with them once they got past the push you pull me pigtail pulling schoolyard antics"

Last edited by LateRaider; 03-05-20 at 21:14.
LateRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 09:58   #32
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

I've only played up to Underworld, so there are a lot of characters who I'm not aware of. However, Kurtis is the only character from the TR series where I could see a potential love affair. I got the impression that Lara didn't have such interests in other male characters who she interacted with throughout the games that I've played. For what it's worth, I wouldn't want Lara to have any kind of affair as I admire her for her independence, among other things.
Old 04-05-20, 10:07   #33
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
the amazon brigade often reference a quote by murti that they say points toward it as "canon" (imo it's as "canon" as pierrson, which is to say not canon at all except in the hearts of the shippers). i'd have to find it but i truly can't be bothered. it went something like "i would've liked to explore what went on with them once they got past the push you pull me pigtail pulling schoolyard antics"
I think I've read something about that as well, that Murti might have been interested on exploring their relationship further. But to consider this as actual canon? I agree with you, I think that's folly. Murti was also exploring some other crazy ideas on his drafts, like Lara having nephilim blood or something, doesn't mean CORE would have gone forward with those ideas.
Old 04-05-20, 11:55   #34
LateRaider
Professor

it's cool to see some middle-ground answers that aren't "kurtis is an abomination" or "lartis is love and i'll end you if you don't like it". having gained some distance from the amazon brigade and the AoD obsession i think that's ultimately my thoughts as well: "it would be interesting but in the end, i'm glad it didn't happen."

i found the quote, btw. it's from TRF, in fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murti Schofield
Did I have more plotlines and themes to explore that never got used? I’m aware now that there has been massive speculation from fans on where the Lara-Kurtis dynamic might have gone. I know what I would have liked to see happen and would have been intrigued to explore the mutual pushme-pullyou once they got past the pigtail-pulling, shin-kicking foreplay. That would have been fun! Yeah, sure, I had a lot of thoughts, as did other team members at the time. I’d constructed some really far out scenarios, locations and challenges Lara would have been magnificent in. Kurtis too. There was so much planned for Kurtis, so many game play abilities that he was never given because of time strictures. He boasted a highly detailed back story and a number of possible game scenarios sketched out which, I think, would have made him a fantastic solo lead. Subsequently I’ve seen at least one other game using hero skills similar to those we had planned for Kurtis and they work really well. Opportunity lost. Shame.
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=184853

seems like he doesn't really know what he wanted to do going forward
Old 04-05-20, 15:22   #35
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Yep, the quote clearly shows he was considering different possibilities but neither him nor Core ever went further than that. It was more of a spontaneous thought, just like the idea of Lara and Kurtis being offsprings of Eckhardt's experiments.

There's a lot of very interesting, weird or simply crazy stuff in Murti's documents but fans should remember that most of it was just brainstorming, bullet points with possible ideas for further discussion. Even the main story has 3 different versions and none of them follow the final one perfectly. You simply can't take everything of what Murti wrote in the docs or later and consider it all "canon", because half of that contradict each other.

Last edited by Caesum; 09-05-20 at 16:22.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 23:33   #36
LateRaider
Professor

very beautifully said, caesum.

i like to think at least that kurtis and eckhardt's backstories are canon. feels so strange that we know so little about them. but i've taken to the mentality of "if it's not in the game it isn't canon"
Old 04-06-20, 07:43   #37
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

There was definitely chemistry and sexual tension between Lara and Kurtis, and the unmistakable impression is that they probably would have resolved that tension should the circumstances have allowed. You'd have to be blind, biased as all hell, or way too young not to see it. Furthermore, both Lara's and Kurtis' voice actors were aware of this chemistry and tried to find ways of conveying it, despite the game's extant script not really allowing for it. But it's plainly visible and on the table in-game. Just watch Lara's body language during any scene in which she interacts with Kurtis. It's obvious that she's attracted to him, whether or not the player is, and whether or not she admits this.

I loved this part, myself, because it made Lara more human to me, and hinted at the possibility of opening her up a little bit. I would have liked to have seen the dynamic with Kurtis continue in a later title, into the follow-up to AOD which would have presumably provided closure for the Core era continuity that we never got. A Grand Finale, if you will.

No, I don't want to see Lara changed by this relationship. She will never be dependent or needy, a damsel in distress, or a Faux Action Girl or any nonsense like that. She is very much her own person and does not need anyone else. But if Kurtis is ever to play a role in her life beyond mere partnership, it will be because she wants him to. AoD hinted that she wasn't opposed to this possibility. I said this before, and I'll say it again: AoD was shocking in the way that it acknowledged Lara's sexuality by treating her as a subject and not as an object. Neither of the reboots would have dared attempt this. LAU Lara was an ice queen. Reboot Lara is too serious and self-obsessed to travel anywhere beyond the asexual prepubescent hinterland that Square Enix is obviously too terrified to take her out of.
Old 04-06-20, 08:46   #38
suli
Professor

this is what I believe..and it might be controversial. but do you know how we always say that Classic Lara was sexualised in marketing but not in games? I feel like Kurtis was an attempt to sexualise Lara in game. To show that she is someone with desire and feelings. I'm fine with it, sexuality isn't a bad thing if it's done right but Classic Lara would never fall for a schmuck like Kurits, She's way way out of his league. sorry but that's not happening.
Old 04-06-20, 16:19   #39
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

^ That's for Lara to decide and not us. And AOD shows us that this was indeed on the table.