Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 16-05-20, 12:07   #1
lance6439

Default Japanese TR II CM

simple question:

does anyone know the gist or meaning of this commercial? because I don't know whats going on besides whats show in the gameplay
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 17:37   #2
Woops

I think it's supposed to suggest how "dangerous" Lara's adventure is, hence the yeti, Lara's scream, the swords etc. and the "stress" from it ig?
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 19:35   #3
tomblover

She says something to the effect of "work up a good sweat." Keep in mind, I can't decipher one of the characters, so I may be missing some nuance here.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 19:52   #4
laracroftswest

Never seen that commercial...it's definitely gripping. Would've scared me as a kid with her intense stare and the Temple of Xian music jutting in and out like that though

VG commercials used to be so innovative.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 03:20   #5
mizuno_suisei

You'll find if you look at other TR Japanese trailers and spots on that channel, they can also be considered on the stranger side! I found the AOD trailers had the best Japanese effect - it was heavily marketed there. - I believe one reason being Kurtis' Japanese VA was a 'boyband' member.

The games are great too! TR2-5 has double strength weapons for Lara - for those who complain about excessive shootouts - occasional geometry changes for simplicity - TR3 on the PS1 is BRIGHTER! Worth jumping on ebay for this as it comes as two disks- Japanese and Original English, but both have increased brightness. Double strength weapons is only in the Japanese disk. Both will only work on an NTSC J or U (Japanese or USA) console.

TR2-AOD kept to one very well known voice actress, Atsuko Tanaka - anime fans will recognize that name for sure.

The Japanese version of Chronicles the PC has the fly cheat by default, and also if you press i on your keyboard - you get all items for the level!

The little things are sooo interesting, and even more so noticing them and trying to find out why it was changed, or atleast theorise. My signature summarizes my passion easily. The Japanese dubs of TR seem the most unique out of all other languages in terms of other changes besides just locale.

Last edited by tlr online; 17-05-20 at 10:42. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 08:22   #6
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
She says something to the effect of "work up a good sweat." Keep in mind, I can't decipher one of the characters, so I may be missing some nuance here.
That's about right I guess... I found one that already had translated captions added.

Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 09:10   #7
CheshireBitch

What I understand from it is that the woman is playing the game and is actually feeling what she would have felt if she was living Lara's adventures.

Never knew there was so much cheat for TR5 in japan ! It's insane ! haha
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 15:48   #8
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
That's about right I guess... I found one that already had translated captions added.
Aha. "Hiya-ase" is cold sweat, I couldn't pick up on the "hiya" part. They're also using the imperative form of the verb ("kaku," to perspire, because you "perspire sweat" in Japanese lmao) even though it isn't necessarily a command in this case - this is something I've seen in other Japanese commercials, but I never know how to interpret it.

"Soukai" means both refreshing and exhilarating, I'm sure the double meaning is intentionally present here.

Last edited by tomblover; 17-05-20 at 15:53.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote