Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 27-05-20, 10:26   #21
Zreen001

It really depends on what that outsider likes in videogames. Then I'd follow through on that.

If they like elements that mostly appear in Core games, I'd say TR2.
If they like elements that mostly appear in LAU games, I'd say Legend.
If they like elements that mostly appear in the Reboot, I'd say 2013.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 10:29   #22
Lara_Fan1

If they wanted an actual Tomb Raider game then I’d start them off with either Tomb Raider 1 or The Last Revelations. If they wanted an action based, adventure game I’d say take your pick of literally any of the titles.

If they wanted a glitchy, cut-up mess I’d suggest Angel of Darkness.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 12:43   #23
NYCL@R@

TRI and II but on a an iPAD with the PS4 controller because they look the best on the mobile platform. Ill teach the person how to work the "tank" controlls because it isnt that hard lol. TRIII, IV and V on pc with the DGVoodoo. AOD on PS2. I feel that way they can understand the classics first before they get into the LAU and Reboot trilogies.
NYCL@R@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 12:47   #24
LNSNHGTDS

Anniversary I think might be a good place to start and bridge the gap between modern and old Tomb Raider as they delve deeper into the series.

It has the ambience and feeling of isolation, controls are much more beginner-friendly than Core's games, it's not overly-focused on action and it still looks very pretty.

If they wanted something solely for the action and shooting aspects but with a good dose of exploration then Rise.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 13:08   #25
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
To ruin your friend’s day?
lance is not wrong tho.
My ex wanted to play a TR game, only to know why I'm obsessed with it.
I told him, he can pick from way too many titles, so I won't choose. (This happened in 2012)
He told me, he wants to play my favourite: TRAoD.

He did finished it, it took him some time - a month - and he liked it. I mean, he had issues with a few story elements, like how Lara knew who Karel was, but in general he enjoyed it, whenever he got stuck and eventually figured it out how to progress.
This man then went on and played TR 3 and Legend without asking me anything and completed both.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 21:19   #26
TombRager

It would be Legend for me, that's pretty much what turned me into a fan, when I first played the Legend Demo on Steam. I booted the game and played and I had a blast! Though I got stuck on that one puzzle where you have to launch the crates and put them on the plates (or whatever it was) on the ground (which I got stuck because what I first tried, which was what I had to do didn't went out well, so I thought it was something else). The only bad part of the demo was that it ended.

Anniversary could be aswel, I played it's demo after the Legend demo and it was nice aswell! The ending of that demo was better than the ending of Legend's demo IMO.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 21:26   #27
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
lance is not wrong tho.
My ex wanted to play a TR game, only to know why I'm obsessed with it.
I told him, he can pick from way too many titles, so I won't choose. (This happened in 2012)
He told me, he wants to play my favourite: TRAoD.

He did finished it, it took him some time - a month - and he liked it. I mean, he had issues with a few story elements, like how Lara knew who Karel was, but in general he enjoyed it, whenever he got stuck and eventually figured it out how to progress.
This man then went on and played TR 3 and Legend without asking me anything and completed both.
Sorry for the belated reply. I see where you’re coming from tbh.

I mean, if the person is patient and willing enough why not? It’d be a plus if he has experience with tank controls.

I’d also automatically recommend AoD if the controls were OK for newcomers.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 21:29   #28
PallasAthene

I would say Legend. An excellent game although a little short, but that shouldn't deter newbies. Anniversary too.
PallasAthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 23:50   #29
Blackmoor

I would introduce them to the latest installment of a franchise, in this case - Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Unless that person was into retro gaming I'd assume they'd want to see the one with the latest developments.

I know for me personally, I don't do well going retro even with my favourite franchises (eg, FF). Either I play it at the time or when it's only a few years old, or I can find it quite hard to get into.

The reboots were released 2013 onwards - that's 7 years they've been in place. At this stage I'd give them a reboot as an introduction even though my personal favourites are the classic games (TR1 - 4).
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 23:59   #30
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
(TR1 - 4).
I swear, Chronicles and AoD (especially Chronicles) always gets ignored omg. I hate seeing the term “TR1-4”. I need some “TR1-5” (or “TR1-6”) in my life...

I agree on introducing them with TR2013+onwards if they don’t like retro. Yup, some people really need to be guided through the Reboot trilogy; they think Rise of the Tomb Raider is the first game.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote