www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-01-19, 12:32   #21
Nicklander
Student
 
Nicklander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 245
Default

What’s the difference between this project and Monty’s TR5Main ?
Couldn’t you simply help Monty ?

Last edited by Nicklander; 26-01-19 at 18:35.
Nicklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 14:07   #22
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist
 
Gh0stBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklander View Post
What’s the difference between this project and Monty’s TR5Main ?
Couldn’t you simply help Monty instead of working on yet another engine ?
There are many differences between tomb5 main and tomb5 decompile. Our project is not using injections into the main game binary like tr5main does. Tr5main is more focused on renderer enhancements for now.

This isn't another engine. It's the same original game engine Core Design used with zero modifications for now.

I'm not going to scrap my project after working almost 3 years on it for the lights of something else.

Nice try.
__________________
Link removed. I appreciate why, but the rule applies to everyone.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 18:29   #23
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Poland
Posts: 8,491
Default

Decompiling Tomb Raider 5 will help in developing TR5Main, and in the future should allow for making a standalone engine with the enhancements of TR5Main.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 18:32   #24
Nicklander
Student
 
Nicklander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
There are many differences between tomb5 main and tomb5 decompile. Our project is not using injections into the main game binary like tr5main does. Tr5main is more focused on renderer enhancements for now.

This isn't another engine. It's the same original game engine Core Design used with zero modifications for now.

I'm not going to scrap my project after working almost 3 years on it for the lights of something else.

Nice try.
Yoyoyo chill. I didn't want to be rude. I apologize.

Ok so as far as I understood it, the most relevant ones are:
- TR5Main is a hack similar to TRNG but focussing on its TombEditor (will eventually become an engine some day)
- TR5 Decompilation Project tries to obtain the original TR5 engine code or at least smth very close
- OpenLara is a (completely?) new engine
- OpenTomb/TRE is also a (completely?) new engine, but kinda dead (?)

It's awesome that you are so dedicated to this project, but you need to understand that I and many other users on this forum are confused by the amount of engine-related projects going on here. This is mainly due to a lack of explaination and transparency, I really don't feel like going thru hundrets of pages just to understand what it's actually about and what progress has been made so far.

Also it's quite frustrating if you ask me, I'm following some of the development projects for years now and it seems like the teams working on them are splitting more and more. From the perspective of a level builder there's only focus on one point: An open-source engine that allows modifications and the implementation of new features. That's basically the end goal of all the 5 projects listed above. I understand that you all have different approaches to reach that goal but you may agree that it's not very effective working in such small groups. Things could be moving way faster if all the effort was put in a single project. There are countless examples of abandoned projects in our community, so far only the hard work put in Monty's Editor has actually paid off. Trust me, nobody here wants even more abandoned projects.

Anyways, it's really cool that you are so dedicated to the TR community. I just wanted to express my frustration about this whole situation and hope that we'll see results some day.

EDIT: Ok, I might have got this a bit wrong. It's nice to see that there's a Discord server uniting all of those projects.

Last edited by Nicklander; 26-01-19 at 18:49.
Nicklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 19:29   #25
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist
 
Gh0stBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklander View Post
Yoyoyo chill. I didn't want to be rude. I apologize.

Ok so as far as I understood it, the most relevant ones are:
- TR5Main is a hack similar to TRNG but focussing on its TombEditor (will eventually become an engine some day)
- TR5 Decompilation Project tries to obtain the original TR5 engine code or at least smth very close
- OpenLara is a (completely?) new engine
- OpenTomb/TRE is also a (completely?) new engine, but kinda dead (?)

It's awesome that you are so dedicated to this project, but you need to understand that I and many other users on this forum are confused by the amount of engine-related projects going on here. This is mainly due to a lack of explaination and transparency, I really don't feel like going thru hundrets of pages just to understand what it's actually about and what progress has been made so far.

Also it's quite frustrating if you ask me, I'm following some of the development projects for years now and it seems like the teams working on them are splitting more and more. From the perspective of a level builder there's only focus on one point: An open-source engine that allows modifications and the implementation of new features. That's basically the end goal of all the 5 projects listed above. I understand that you all have different approaches to reach that goal but you may agree that it's not very effective working in such small groups. Things could be moving way faster if all the effort was put in a single project. There are countless examples of abandoned projects in our community, so far only the hard work put in Monty's Editor has actually paid off. Trust me, nobody here wants even more abandoned projects.

Anyways, it's really cool that you are so dedicated to the TR community. I just wanted to express my frustration about this whole situation and hope that we'll see results some day.

EDIT: Ok, I might have got this a bit wrong. It's nice to see that there's a Discord server uniting all of those projects.
I think the bigger problem is, the Tomb Raider community lacks programmers so it's hard to form a solid team of programmers in the first place. Unifying everyone into one single team won't work, we tried that with OpenTomb and everyone eventually got bored, upset and moved onto their own projects. One person might like one programming language, style or library over another and it's just argument after argument and everyone leaves.

I'm not saying it's better to work alone, but sometimes it avoids a big mess and fall outs. I would personally love to see more programmers and reverse engineers working on my project but sadly nobody but zdimension joined since the first commit in July 2017. We tried to advertise on other websites but it seems nobody is interested or people generally lack the skill required to work on this project.

Cheers.
__________________
Link removed. I appreciate why, but the rule applies to everyone.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 19:30   #26
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist
 
Gh0stBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
I think the bigger problem is, the Tomb Raider community lacks programmers so it's hard to form a solid team of programmers in the first place. Unifying everyone into one single team won't work, we tried that with OpenTomb and everyone eventually got bored, upset and moved onto their own projects. One person might like one programming language, style or library over another and it's just argument after argument and everyone leaves.

I'm not saying it's better to work alone, but sometimes it avoids a big mess and fall outs. I would personally love to see more programmers and reverse engineers working on my project but sadly nobody but zdimension joined since the first commit in July 2017. We tried to advertise on other websites but it seems nobody is interested or people generally lack the skill required to work on this project.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Decompiling Tomb Raider 5 will help in developing TR5Main, and in the future should allow for making a standalone engine with the enhancements of TR5Main.
Correct, both projects are sort of interchangeable. Only problem with TOMB5Main is that it doesn't follow the same file structure as the original game if i recall correctly so it's difficult to find certain pieces of code.

This project also runs on PCPSX, PSX and PC.
__________________
Link removed. I appreciate why, but the rule applies to everyone.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 05:07   #27
TheBlueFox
Hobbyist
 
TheBlueFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
I think the bigger problem is, the Tomb Raider community lacks programmers so it's hard to form a solid team of programmers in the first place. Unifying everyone into one single team won't work, we tried that with OpenTomb and everyone eventually got bored, upset and moved onto their own projects. One person might like one programming language, style or library over another and it's just argument after argument and everyone leaves.

I'm not saying it's better to work alone, but sometimes it avoids a big mess and fall outs. I would personally love to see more programmers and reverse engineers working on my project but sadly nobody but zdimension joined since the first commit in July 2017. We tried to advertise on other websites but it seems nobody is interested or people generally lack the skill required to work on this project.

Cheers.
It's a shame so few people working on a project that could greatly help the Tomb Raider community, but at the same time, understandable.
Wish you guys the best of luck with the project.
TheBlueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 19:58   #28
MontyTRC
Historian
 
MontyTRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 439
Default

TR5Main goes beyond TRNG because I am replacing all the API-dependent code with new code using new APIs. No more DirectSound, DirectX 6, etc but new and modern APIs.
99% of the issues with new Windows version is related to APIs.
__________________
Tomb Editor Main developer
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 18:02   #29
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist
 
Gh0stBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,013
Default

Latest progress is font rendering and title menu code added.
Video
__________________
Link removed. I appreciate why, but the rule applies to everyone.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-19, 19:45   #30
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist
 
Gh0stBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,013
Default

Latest build:
Video

Progress with the title screen menus, many bugs fixed also.

We are also looking for dedicated Game Testers. Let me know if you want to join the team!
__________________
Link removed. I appreciate why, but the rule applies to everyone.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.