www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 09-03-19, 17:58   #1
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Default Was the IRIS planned way before the last revelation?

As we all know, the IRIS appears in Lara's home in TR3 along with fragments of the Atlantean Scion, The Dagger of Xian and Indiana Jones's Golden Idol and this is before TRIV was made. In TRIV Lara is never shown retrieving the artifact from the collapsing tomb, only in Chronicles do we see how Lara re acquired the artifact and why it is actually in her infamous trophy room.

Do you think Core:

A. Maybe they reused the asset and built a mini backstory around it in TR4 and again in TR5.

B. They were planning TRIV way before TR3 was released, and they put it there as a reference to the future and an easter egg.

C. Perhaps among the many things cut from this game (knife,crouch roll, Peru, etc.) there was supposed to be backstory but it was cut and then fully realized in the sequel TR4 and expanded upon in TR5 and the team was fully aware of it.

It's funny bc Core had no idea (according to magazine scans) they were going to produce a TR4 after TR3... or that they were going to produce TR5... They were focused on the next generation but Eidos forced them to release these games every year.

My point is, if they didn't know they were going to make the sequels, why place the artifact there without backstory just randomly!

Was it ever mentioned in any of the guides or something???

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 09-03-19 at 18:00.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 18:08   #2
DVDSpike
Professor

The artefact's backstory definitely didn't have much planning really. It was just there in TRIII to show that Lara had a past but and in fact did stuff when we weren't playing. I do believe that they were put there without planning and then they thought to reuse it along with the golden skulls in Cambodia, but anything beyond that definitely was not planned at all. Chronicles was a rush job so I wouldn't be surprised if that section was just placed there last minute for filler.
Old 09-03-19, 20:28   #3
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Actually, TR3 and TR4 were developped at the same time, so yes having the Iris in TR3 was foreshadowing but not planned a whole year before.

As for TR5, I think they were trying to fill the gap last minute. Von Croy having this big industry doesn't make any sens at all, and that's the only game you hear about it.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 20:49   #4
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Actually, TR3 and TR4 were developped at the same time, so yes having the Iris in TR3 was foreshadowing but not planned a whole year before.

As for TR5, I think they were trying to fill the gap last minute. Von Croy having this big industry doesn't make any sens at all, and that's the only game you hear about it.
Yeah it does, Apparently in some promo material its actually owned by his father. (Who might be the old dude next to Von Croy in cutscenes.)
Old 09-03-19, 22:55   #5
Woops
Historian

Quote:
source?
Old 10-03-19, 12:33   #6
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
source?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZmdNMz7xY

It's a french interview but around 1:40 they say that Core started working on TR4 before finishing TR3 (so they worked almost two years on TR4).
So I think that's why we can see the Iris in TR3 manor.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 19:31   #7
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Interesting... The Irisís presence in TR3 was always kinda odd. It being developed at the same time as TR4 makes more sense though.
Old 11-03-19, 06:05   #8
Woops
Historian

I'm finding that extremely hard to believe honestly. They were already pressured enough and we know so from interviews with them. The interviews also mention that the Angkor Wat area was originally being built for TR3, and was scrapped and used in TR4 again. That's probably what they meant as working on two games at the same time doesn't seem all that smart when they were already short on time. And it also explains why the Iris was made at that time (since the Iris is present in Cambodia in TR4).
Old 11-03-19, 10:20   #9
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZmdNMz7xY

It's a french interview but around 1:40 they say that Core started working on TR4 before finishing TR3 (so they worked almost two years on TR4).
So I think that's why we can see the Iris in TR3 manor.
Do they say exactly how long before?? I know some development overlapped, but just like Woops explained, I dont think there's much more to that. TR3 was also originally intended to be a spin off done by a new, secondary team, while the main team moved to design a new main Tomb Raider game (which ended up being AoD), so I don't think the secondary team had any possibility of working on TR4 at the same time, that game wasn't even in plans at the time the new team came in to do the "spinoff".

Angkor Wat being built for TR3 is pretty much the whole explanation for the Iris in Lara's Home.

Last edited by Dustie; 11-03-19 at 10:21.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 12:08   #10
Chamayoo
Professor

Angkor Wat for TR3 ? That is the first time I heard about this.
Some magazines have been related that they were planning to release Tomb Raider 2.5 and a next one. 2.5 became 3 because they thought they were enough new features to be the next big entry and Eidos wouldn't confuse consumers. Then the initial TR3 became the Last Revelation. However "The History of Tomb Raider" by Alexandre Derek refuted this statement iirc.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote