www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 11-03-19, 13:00   #11
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Do they say exactly how long before?? I know some development overlapped, but just like Woops explained, I dont think there's much more to that. TR3 was also originally intended to be a spin off done by a new, secondary team, while the main team moved to design a new main Tomb Raider game (which ended up being AoD), so I don't think the secondary team had any possibility of working on TR4 at the same time, that game wasn't even in plans at the time the new team came in to do the "spinoff".

Angkor Wat being built for TR3 is pretty much the whole explanation for the Iris in Lara's Home.
They don't say how long exactly, they just say that TR4 has been developped for "almost two years", So I think TR4 developpement started before TR3 was finished. Anyway even a short overlapped is enough to put the Iris in TR3 at the last minute. It's not like the engine was totally different or needed to rebuild the Iris for TR3. They probably just transfer de 3D object into the TR3 file.

This interview was used on an official french demo CD sold at the library with a magazine, so I guess their informations are maybe more believable because of that
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 13:04   #12
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Angkor Wat for TR3 ? That is the first time I heard about this.
Some magazines have been related that they were planning to release Tomb Raider 2.5 and a next one. 2.5 became 3 because they thought they were enough new features to be the next big entry and Eidos wouldn't confuse consumers. Then the initial TR3 became the Last Revelation. However "The History of Tomb Raider" by Alexandre Derek refuted this statement iirc.
Which statement? According to articles there was no "initial" TR3, there was The Further Adventures of Lara Croft which became TR3 and a new generation game which became Angel of Darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
They don't say how long exactly, they just say that TR4 has been developped for "almost two years", So I think TR4 developpement started before TR3 was finished. Anyway even a short overlapped is enough to put the Iris in TR3 at the last minute. It's not like the engine was totally different or needed to rebuild the Iris for TR3. They probably just transfer de 3D object into the TR3 file.

This interview was used on an official french demo CD sold at the library with a magazine, so I guess their informations are maybe more believable because of that
Since they made Angkor Wat for TR4 then they already had the Iris and it was just put in the house. They probably kept it in TR4 because they needed some random artifact and it was already in Lara's home in TR3...

Last edited by Dustie; 11-03-19 at 13:06.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 14:56   #13
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Quote:
Since they made Angkor Wat for TR4 then they already had the Iris and it was just put in the house. They probably kept it in TR4 because they needed some random artifact and it was already in Lara's home in TR3...
Yes, I never thought about it this way but why not.
It's weird tho to create a never-seen-before artefact randomly for TR3 Manor, isn't it ?
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 14:59   #14
Woops
Historian

They created it for Angkor Wat, then just used it in the manor. Since Angkor was scrapped.
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 15:18   #15
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Yes, I never thought about it this way but why not.
It's weird tho to create a never-seen-before artefact randomly for TR3 Manor, isn't it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
They created it for Angkor Wat, then just used it in the manor. Since Angkor was scrapped.
Pretty much my point
They created a never before seen artifact for Angkor, but since they scrapped that and wanted something for the house, they threw the Iris in.

Maybe they knew they would re use the level for a young Lara or maybe not, probably just wanted an "easter egg" type connection

Chronicles use of the Iris is an afterthought I think, since timeline is messed up with it

ChesireBitch
Old 11-03-19, 16:02   #16
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Which statement? According to articles there was no "initial" TR3, there was The Further Adventures of Lara Croft which became TR3 and a new generation game which became Angel of Darkness.
Tomb Raider Next Gen was already in pre-production before TR3 ? I never realized so soon.
The article I read was in a French magazine in 2008. I suppose "The Further Adventures" was TR2.5 (which became TR3 we know) and they suggested that the other game in production (so "TR3") was The Last Revelation.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 16:56   #17
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

It would actually make sense if TR4 was in development during TR3 in some ways. If you consider how TR4 kinda had hubs, a reworked inventory, slightly different graphics, and all of that, it doesnt sound too far-fetched.
Old 11-03-19, 17:57   #18
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
It would actually make sense if TR4 was in development during TR3 in some ways. If you consider how TR4 kinda had hubs, a reworked inventory, slightly different graphics, and all of that, it doesn’t sound too far-fetched.
Wait how does that make sense again? With the inventory and hubs and different graphics
Old 11-03-19, 18:00   #19
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Wait how does that make sense again?
With the graphics, TR4’s graphics looked a little newer, or less restricted. Even if it is very similar, the inventory, as you can see, was slightly redone. The “hubs” was something you hadn’t previously seen in TR, and they involved far more backtracking than the first three.

All these things make TR4 (imo) feel a little more upgraded than TR1-3, and some things, such as the story for example, felt like they had a little more thought or focus than before.

Of course, it also didn’t have many new moves, so maybe that makes it not feel as new.

Last edited by NoahCrofRaider; 11-03-19 at 18:04.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 18:06   #20
Woops
Historian

How does that mean it was developed with TR3
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote