Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Stick to Core design era, those are the Tomb Raider games
You mean those mediocre games?
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 11:29   #12
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiannisRaider View Post
If you want a tomb raider experience you should try shadow of the tomb raider if you haven't already it is so much closer to the old tomb raider games with many tombs to explore .
oh please
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 11:49   #13
Dennis's Mom

I despised TR2013. Everything about the game was horrid to me.

ROTTR is . . . better in that IMO the combat is better. It's more of the combat that I think makes sense, i.e., stealth based, limited enemies, as opposed to the endless merc battles.

There's still tons of stupid though. The story is poorly written, the dialog is cringe-worthy. I didn't like the game really, but I didn't despise it like TR2013.

I always view these things in terms of whether I got my money's worth in enjoyment. I got the game at a Redbox for 3 bucks a day and beat it in two days. I can't say it was a bad value at that price.

My full thoughts here. There are spoilers though so . . . .
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:06   #14
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Rise is TR2013 with more stealth, more exploration, more weapons, less QTEs and bigger maps and a fair number modes.

if you can get past the fact that it isn't a "true TR game", you might like it.

IMO it's worth $20
I think this is the key sentence that summarizes it up.

Rise improved on some aspects of TReboot and stayed the same in others. It's up to the individual player to decide whether they are content with what they've got or not.

I do agree that TR game or not, Rise was a well made game that is worth a couple bucks at least. If you find a good deal then I would go for it.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:11   #15
Maverin

I really liked the game but not as much as TR2013 to be honest. The biggest reason as to why is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
The story is poorly written, the dialog is cringe-worthy.
The story is over-dramatic. Every single event is portrayed as the end of the world and every scene is like Titanic's ending. The documents are boring and very similar to one another. The environment is mostly the same and the dialogue is cringe. Especially the campfires my goodness.

Problem is: not only is the story very tedious to go through, it's also kinda bad. There are so many problems with it. Situations where you'll be thinking like: but couldn't this person do this? Haven't they done that? Why did they choose to do it that way? Etc.

It's not a bad game, absolutely not. Some of the locations/visuals are astounding and the Tombs are a delight. But in my personal opinion, it's by far the weakest of the trilogy and Shadow was an unbelievable comeback. Shadow is the best Tomb Raider game I've played in years. They fixed all the issues mentioned above and the story and Lara don't take themselves too seriously except for where it needs to be.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:18   #16
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
lol

I tried playing Rise a couple of years ago, but I personally couldn’t get into it. It felt so boring, and I didn’t know what to do. I should probably give it another try, but I’m... reluctant.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:38   #17
Error96

If you didn't like 2013 you probably won't like Rise. It's more of the same but with Lara having gone backwards and with more of the awful parents storyline. Shadow is a far better game and so is probably worth skipping Rise and going straight for Shadow.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 14:03   #18
Talos Munera

I do not love Tr2013 but I adore Rise. Everyone has their own tastes, there is nothing abnormal and strange. As a medieval, Byzantine and eastern history lover, for me it is the Tomb Raider par excellence, along with Tomb Raider IV.

I don't love the splatter of TR2013, but it has great gameplay and it's fun. Good story, but for me... Rise it's the top
Everyone plays what he wants, loves what he wants.

Last edited by Talos Munera; 03-05-19 at 14:06.
Talos Munera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 14:24   #19
dg1995

So I have to try it to see whether I like it or not. Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
Nah the first 4 are 10/10 for me. the 5th one was also good. only AOD was disappointing.
And please do not complain about the controls. Every game shouldn't play the same and I easily get used to the controls of core design TR games.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 14:37   #20
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
So I have to try it to see whether I like it or not. Thanks everyone.

Nah the first 4 are 10/10 for me. the 5th one was also good. only AOD was disappointing.
And please do not complain about the controls. Every game shouldn't play the same and I easily get used to the controls of core design TR games.
IF you are and you're getting a version that has the Croft Manor DLC Blood Ties, do that ASAP.

Its the only good bit as it has proper adventure-game having-to-write-stuff down puzzles.

Not worth the price of a full game that has none of those puzzles in the main game but its definitely the only good bit IMO.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote