Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-12-18, 00:46   #91
Yeauxleaux

I loved Anniversary and still enjoy it now when I go back, but I think it did have some major issues.

- Not enough colour (and I especially hated how they watered down the horror-factor of Atlantis to be more teen-friendly)
- Excessive railway-like Linearity. Goes without saying in any post-CORE TR game
- I also think too many segments were needlessly chopped out. Sometimes it worked, I didn't mind Cistern and Tomb of Tihocan being merged, but some levels had some quite memorable parts chopped out and replaced with... not a great deal except some bland empty corridors.

Had these not been such issues then Anniversary would have been way better than TR1. Yeah I said it, deal bitches.

Legend was sweet and I've always loved it too, but it had some of the same issues. Way too short, linear levels. I also think there was just a bit too much combat at times. I was never bothered by Zip and Alistair, I didn't love them being there but they didn't kill the game for me either. They were entertaining and well written enough and Zip didn't come off "forced token black guy" the way the minority characters of the Reboot era have felt to me.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 16-12-18 at 00:49.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 21:45   #92
suckerpunch

Yes, everyone wants the duals back and also I loved Legend, such a fun nostalgic game to me, I remember when it came out in 2006 and how excited I was, good times
suckerpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 22:09   #93
mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoCroft View Post
AOD's story is not good. It had a lot of potential but it's not a good story. It's full of holes and messy. AOD could have been great but objectively based solely on the end product, it's bad.

Anniversary just feels very... hollow. I replayed it recently to get a final trophy on PS3 and I noticed a lot of graphical weirdness. Nothing outstanding but just not looking how it should look. It's also a very muddy, brown and beige game. The Atlantis parts were a treat because the lava was bright and added colour. I also feel like they highly over used the ledge climbing mechanic and adrenaline shot. It felt like I spent half the game on ledges. And almost all the enemies had to be finished with an adrenaline shot too.
They have definitely overused the ledge climbing. In Legend, the traversal feels natural, in Anni it feels forced due to obnoxiously abundant, not to mention strikingly white ledges. Sadly, they continuted with the ledge abundance in Underworld....
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 22:44   #94
Lyle Croft

Dual Pistols need to come back, as long as it sits right.

With Shadow Lara, honestly she does not possess the vernacular for such iconography.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 00:15   #95
Jorje Croft

you skinny legend
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 02:24   #96
Error96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Had these not been such issues then Anniversary would have been way better than TR1. Yeah I said it, deal bitches.
I don't think it would have. There are a few other horrors like the temperamental adrenaline dodge, Natla being too obvious, less discovery with too much right in front you in Lost Valley/Palace Midas. Not bringing back Nathan McCree to do the music stands out as a mistake. There is plenty of stuff that is great about TRA, it's very replayable and Lara herself looks perfect so it's certainly a decent attempt but not a match to TR1.

Legend is a big winner for me and other than the bike sections it held up with time really well. The diversity of locations and outfits is incredible, graphically it still looks good. The snowy levels and Japan rooftop are amazing and the use of time trials plus puzzle hidden secrets is fantastic. I do quite like Alistair and Zip. It's CD's first TR but ironically I still find it to be their best.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 09:24   #97
Nigel Cassidy

With all this love for dual guns, classic Lara and Legend style Lara & atmosphere I'm thinking: what are you waiting for Square Enix? There is a marketable demographic here for you to exploit.

Exploit us, damn you!
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-18, 00:56   #98
CosmoCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
With all this love for dual guns, classic Lara and Legend style Lara & atmosphere I'm thinking: what are you waiting for Square Enix? There is a marketable demographic here for you to exploit.

Exploit us, damn you!
I wish! I'd love for the ALL the tomb raider games to be made compatible for PS4/XBone. Ideally, they should make the classics (including the expansions) PC ports so the graphics would be better and no more loading screens or save crystals. I'd also pay for a full version of Underworld with the two DLC stories and all the costumes.

I'm not sure how difficult or expensive doing all of that would be but it's top of my TR wishlist right now. Mainly because I don't think we're ever going to get remakes ala Crash or Spyro.
CosmoCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-18, 09:54   #99
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post

Exploit us, damn you!
I wish they would, but they have their reasons for not doing so. At the this rate I'm not confident that they have any plans baking a pie for that market.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote