Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 05-12-18, 08:12   #1
Avalon SARL

Default Shadow of the tomb raider annie award nomination

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been nominated for an Annie Award for Outstanding Achievement for Character Animation in a Video Game.

As good as this is, I really don't know if this is really well deserved.

Character animation was great in some cutscenes, but if they mean Lara Croft during game play I need to have some words with whoever put this decision to the table and voted for it.

These award academies just keep giving SE positive feedback about this bad product they are delivering, fooling them honestly to believe they have something iconic and of a great value, just like all those crazy amount of awards ROTR had and also won many of them.

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 05-12-18 at 08:23.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 08:18   #2
charmedangelin

It won't win, it doesn't deserve to. The character animations were awful, Lara looked like a robot most of the time she is talking to NPCs.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 08:25   #3
killchan

fair enough, the tech side of the game is AAA if anything.

other nominees are

God Of War
Marvel's Spiderman
Moss
Gris
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 08:32   #4
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
These award academies just keep giving SE positive feedback about this bad product they are delivering, fooling them honestly to believe they have something iconic and of a great value, just like all those crazy amount of awards ROTR had and also won many of them.
Technically, ROTTR is an amazing game though. Even if YOU don't like it as a Tomb Raider game, technically ROTTR is impressive in almost every aspect, so let's put that blind hate for the game aside for a while and actually ackowledge facts. It isn't randoomly that ROTTR was and still is used to perform benchmarks.

Regarding the topic, I'm happy Shadow is being nominated. I like the animations, as they are mostly on par with ROTTR. There's one, or another that that do look a bit clunky, but overall the animations are pretty fluid and well made. The problem is that they're mostly reused, which may cause fatigue for people who want everything different every new release

Last edited by Vaskito; 05-12-18 at 08:34.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 08:47   #5
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Technically, ROTTR is an amazing game though. Even if YOU don't like it as a Tomb Raider game, technically ROTTR is impressive in almost every aspect, so let's put that blind hate for the game aside for a while and actually ackowledge facts. It isn't randoomly that ROTTR was and still is used to perform benchmarks.

Regarding the topic, I'm happy Shadow is being nominated. I like the animations, as they are mostly on par with ROTTR. There's one, or another that that do look a bit clunky, but overall the animations are pretty fluid and well made. The problem is that they're mostly reused, which may cause fatigue for people who want everything different every new release
SOTR is my 5th best TR game in par with TR2 and TR4; I like it yes, but I do not just go and excuse the studio for failing to deliver something of better quality, especially with the animation.

Awards for music, level design, graphics are fair nominations, but character animation is the least expected seeing how bad they are at many parts.

Didn't you see when running from the flood and the land drift how horrible her animations are, especially when she jumps; in many cutscenes she is just very bland and dull, no facial expressions, no emotions, her lips barely move.

Maybe the other games nominated are even worse than SOTR, they found this one to be of better or similar quality so they had no choice

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 05-12-18 at 08:50.
Old 05-12-18, 09:07   #6
Vaskito

Quote:
SOTR is my 5th best TR game in par with TR2 and TR4; I like it yes, but I do not just go and excuse the studio for failing to deliver something of better quality, especially with the animation.

Awards for music, level design, graphics are fair nominations, but character animation is the least expected seeing how bad they are at many parts.

Didn't you see when running from the flood and the land drift how horrible her animations are, especially when she jumps; in many cutscenes she is just very bland and dull, no facial expressions, no emotions, her lips barely move.

Maybe the other games nominated are even worse than SOTR, they found this one to be of better or similar quality so they had no choice
I don't see how Shadow fails in animations, at all. Like EVERY SINGLE game it could have some of them improved, but as an overall I really don't get what you mean.
The "cinematics" where she doesn't move her lips, or barely, are on the artificially animated ones - as in when she talks to merchants, or side missions because they are not mocapped. On the normal cinematics though, have you noticed how fluid and realistic they are? Almost every single facial expression from Camilla is translated into the scenes. You can actually see anger/sadness/etc in Lara's face.
Beyond the cinematics, most gameplay animations are fluid on the normal gameplay. Running, walking, climbing, rappel, tripping etc. all look fine. Set pieces may look less fluid due to the nature of it, but still I see no major issues on the animations themselves. Can you elaborate on why you think every animation is horrid, and are underserving of an award?
Old 05-12-18, 09:11   #7
LaraCroftSotTR

Quote:
Almost every single facial expression from Camilla is translated into the scenes. You can actually see anger/sadness/etc in Lara's face.
The cut-scene animations are literally stunning! Those are above the competition for me. It's a bit less so in some other regards (autocorrected jumps) - but still very good overall.

I just wish all normal NPC-encounters (sidequests) would have been on par with the "Forge" DLC.

Last edited by LaraCroftSotTR; 05-12-18 at 09:22.
LaraCroftSotTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 09:43   #8
Avalon SARL

Quote:
I don't see how Shadow fails in animations, at all. Like EVERY SINGLE game it could have some of them improved, but as an overall I really don't get what you mean.
The "cinematics" where she doesn't move her lips, or barely, are on the artificially animated ones - as in when she talks to merchants, or side missions because they are not mocapped. On the normal cinematics though, have you noticed how fluid and realistic they are? Almost every single facial expression from Camilla is translated into the scenes. You can actually see anger/sadness/etc in Lara's face.
Beyond the cinematics, most gameplay animations are fluid on the normal gameplay. Running, walking, climbing, rappel, tripping etc. all look fine. Set pieces may look less fluid due to the nature of it, but still I see no major issues on the animations themselves. Can you elaborate on why you think every animation is horrid, and are underserving of an award?

I am not a fan of how this Lara walks, runs, jumps, climbs etc... ever since TR2013. She has this horrible gorilla/ Tarzan crouching which is a major concern for me. Many cutscenes are well done, but facial animations during game play are awful and don't get me started on that very terrible and ugly face she has.

During the flood and land drift, or running away from guards or caverns collapsing, there were the worst animations ever. She is Tarzan and her jumps make no sense and are pure example of bad animation during gameplay.

The magnetic grab where you are not jumping in the right direction and she just floats and swims in the air and grabs whatever she is programmed to grab.

All these faults and there could be more are enough to not let this game deserve even a nomination.

The horror that will chase me if it wins this.
Old 05-12-18, 09:55   #9
Vaskito

Quote:
I am not a fan of how this Lara walks, runs, jumps, climbs etc...
That doesn't make them bad, though.
I think you are being unfair, but in the end, it's your own opinion.

I'll share this animation review vid for anyone interested

I think it's a pretty good, fair vídeo, which highlights what's best, and what's worse and why.
Old 05-12-18, 10:03   #10
LaraCroftSotTR

Her face is beautiful. It's not the games fault if you don't like it. Just a simple matter of personal taste.
And Tarzan is considered to be "the one with the jungle" - I don't get your point here. ^^
Her crouching animation gives opportunites for close-combat-counter-attacks. She wouldn't be able to do them, if she would make big pike jumps.
And Lara's animation are still feminine. You're just unhappy because she's not doing flips anymore.

I hope the game wins - just for the sake of it.

Last edited by LaraCroftSotTR; 05-12-18 at 10:05.
LaraCroftSotTR is offline   Reply With Quote