Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 21-10-19, 22:54   #18051
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

TR2013 Lara was more interesting tbfh.
Old 21-10-19, 23:20   #18052
Portugalraider
Professor

Okay, starting to feel that I should go to the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and say that I think Reboot Lara's character development from across each game actually made sense, especially in SotTR.

Would have been better if the reboot sequels weren't connected to Lara's origin story? Absolutely. Especially RotTR's lack of character progression would have benefited from it, but even SotTR would have benefited for its more nuanced growth, instead of the "BAM" the end of a origin trilogy needs.

But as in the mental place Lara would have been at the time of each game, considering what happened before? Yes, I personally think reboot Lara was exactly where she was supposed to be in each game.
Old 21-10-19, 23:51   #18053
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Okay, starting to feel that I should go to the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and say that I think Reboot Lara's character development from across each game actually made sense, especially in SotTR.

Would have been better if the reboot sequels weren't connected to Lara's origin story? Absolutely. Especially RotTR's lack of character progression would have benefited from it, but even SotTR would have benefited for its more nuanced growth, instead of the "BAM" the end of a origin trilogy needs.

But as in the mental place Lara would have been at the time of each game, considering what happened before? Yes, I personally think reboot Lara was exactly where she was supposed to be in each game.
Honestly, I think you and me are the only ones that share this opinion

I'm even pretty defensive about her growth in Rise. I think it was pretty minimal but I think it was there.

My stance is that considering it's only been 2-3 years in the reboot timeline, her growth is actually pretty realistic. The reboots biggest problem, for me, is that they didn't do a timeskip.

Last edited by TrustyBow; 21-10-19 at 23:54.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 23:53   #18054
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
TR2013 Lara was more interesting tbfh.
I'm currently playing through the trilogy again, and at this point I agree. Ultimately, I think the dead deer carcasses laying around Yamatai had more depth than Lara in the entire trilogy tbh, but if I had to choose, I'd choose reboot Lara based off her backstory before it got unnecessarily retconned.
Old 22-10-19, 02:48   #18055
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post

I'm even pretty defensive about her growth in Rise. I think it was pretty minimal but I think it was there.

My stance is that considering it's only been 2-3 years in the reboot timeline, her growth is actually pretty realistic. The reboots biggest problem, for me, is that they didn't do a timeskip.
agreed with the both of you. survivor lara's growth was good imo. it was just the stories surrounding it that sucked lol
Old 22-10-19, 03:11   #18056
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

I Love The survivor trilogy. It is so amazing despite its flaws. EM/CD don,'t deserve the hate and toxicity!
Old 22-10-19, 04:02   #18057
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Someone on Twitter posted a graphics morph between Classic and LAU Lara with Angelina Jolie and the results are striking. Angie was the perfect cast for Lara.

https://twitter.com/Legendary8chaos/...165592064?s=19
Old 22-10-19, 04:29   #18058
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Someone on Twitter posted a graphics morph between Classic and LAU Lara with Angelina Jolie and the results are striking. Angie was the perfect cast for Lara.

Alicia who? Camilla who?

No one will ever top Angie.
Old 22-10-19, 05:31   #18059
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

They really aren't that striking - whoever morphed them didn't align the feature points consistently or properly, resulting in 4 eyes for the in-between morphs.
Old 22-10-19, 08:14   #18060
XXIIXX
Student

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post

This!!

Is / was there more from improvement? Sure. But you do see a realistic character development going on, it's just that a few moments in each game are a bit off but Lara is still believable as a character.

Do I prefer how she acts and behaves in the previous nine games? Sure. But this Lara is not as bad as people make her out to be, she's just not what we were used to but it's been six years so...