www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-10-19, 01:31   #28171
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I’ll forever stand by Paititi’s biggest problem being nothing about the “bowl” makes you feel like a tomb raider. There’s the odd secret nook or crannie, but it’s not really meant to be played like the rest of the game, so you’re caught in this limbo between observing and interacting, with nothing really interesting going on, yet so much of your required time is put into it.

Contrast with Kitezh, which is designed from the ground up to feature lots of platforming, hidden areas, seamless transitions into crypts and tombs, even combat. If anything should’ve been the template for Paititi, it was Kitezh. Instead, we ended up with a technical showcase that, while impressive, does nothing for the player.

Also, the restriction is pants and should’ve been play tested.
the only interesting part about patiti is probably the abandoned village, but there was nothing much there anyways
Old 22-10-19, 01:34   #28172
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
the only interesting part about patiti is probably the abandoned village, but there was nothing much there anyways
Don’t get me wrong, I liked all the hubs, tombs, crypts and DLC that lead out from Paititi, but the thing is, those are outside of the city. The bowl itself is just a bore after awhile, yet it’s the focal point of everything.
Old 22-10-19, 05:29   #28173
SoraSakai
Professor

The problem with is all three of the games pulled the exact same “surprise” each time.

Lara thought Yamatai would be deserted. Surprise! It isn’t.

Lara thought the geothermal valley would be deserted. Surprise! It isn’t.

Lara thought that Paititi would be deserted. Surprise! It isn’t.

Why they thought they broke new ground with this is beyond me.
Old 22-10-19, 08:41   #28174
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

How is a living, breathing city that is intact, well kept and features a culture that is pretty much dead nowadays not a step up from the several lost city ruins filled with dust, crumble and monsters we've had in the past games?

We've never had an ancient city stopped in time that was prosperous. The Remnant are not even close to this as they are a mere shadow of what Kitesh's people were, in both numbers and infrastructure. They are a poor village in the middle of nowhere whose culture has had to adapt to survive, very much unlike Paititi.
Old 22-10-19, 08:45   #28175
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

My only issue with Paititi is how it kinda breaks the pace.

Beyond that, I've grown to love it. It's really well detailed, and like Victor said, I think it's pretty different than the stuff from previous games. It's interesting how they've adapted Paititi into being real in the game universe, and I love the story and back story they've built with it. And it's visually STUNNING
Old 22-10-19, 09:10   #28176
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Paititi feels like your being thrown from one game and dragged into another. It honestly doesn't feel like a proper continuity of the events that unfolded during the tsunami.
Old 22-10-19, 09:17   #28177
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
How is a living, breathing city that is intact, well kept and features a culture that is pretty much dead nowadays not a step up from the several lost city ruins filled with dust, crumble and monsters we've had in the past games?
Yamatai has a functioning society.

The valley had a functioning society.

And Paititi had a functioning society.

In terms of gameplay, I just don’t see that big of a difference between them, especially between the valley and Paititi.
Old 22-10-19, 09:27   #28178
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

That's like, the shallowest description ever lol of course they'll sound the same when you put it like that. It's like saying Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are alike because they are multiplatform franchises born in 96.

Besides, I'd hardly call starvation, murder and traumatizing people into followers with torture and cannibalism a functioning society lol
Old 22-10-19, 10:41   #28179
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

I think Paititi is a much better hub than San Juan. There, I said it.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 10:53   #28180
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I think Paititi is a much better hub than San Juan. There, I said it.
I guess it really depends on how you're comparing them. There is no denying Paititi in scale and level of detail beats San Juan. However, I think San Juan shines because it realises that the social aspect of the reboots gameplay is enjoyed as a secondary experience and an accompaniment to the main pillars of gameplay. In Paititi the social hub aspect becomes the main focus and I think that's where much of the disdain comes from. The hubs with much smaller settlements seem to work much better as they're more varied. You have the town itself for the social aspect, yet you have the surrounding area which is balanced out by the other gameplay pillars.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 22-10-19 at 11:06.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote