www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 19-10-19, 17:25   #1
_Seth
Archaeologist

Thumbs down Shadow UNappreciation Thread

Hey, Underworld gets one.

I think instead of potentially derailing other threads with the negative opinions of those of us who disliked this game, we could have a dedicated thread on our dislikes. It gives some of us room to vent, and those who love Shadow, as are entitled to, can choose not to engage. This should be limited to the game itself, so nothing about how DLC distribution was handled, marketing, PR or anything to do with the wider product.

Let's try and be respectful. I'll set the pace:

Recently playing Shadow has solidified my opinion that it is an absolute piece of green horse**** that should be sacrificed to Satan with prejudice and haste. Shadow does nothing better than any other TR and has actually eclipsed my opinion that Underworld was the worst, so that is saying something. I can at least bear to play TRU, even if it is almost on a level for how disposable, maggot-infested, rotting garbage it is. Shadow has:

Infuriating platforming where grabbable looking ledges are non-interactive but she'll grab ledges that look harder to grab onto.
There is forced walking left right and centre ****ing galore (see: Dominguez pyramid sacrifice being the worst offender).
For all the effort put into having Paititians speaking natively, they still have Lara with an American accent using American English and slang galore.
Many interior areas give me TR3 PS1 vibes with how dark as a nun's **** they are.
There are some breathtakingly stupid design decisions such as sprint being disabled while Lara is going towards what she believes is a buried alive Jonah or during certain hold-forward-while-fireworks-go-around-you-with-no-real-danger setpieces.
The animations are uglier and jankier than Bubsy 3D, so much so I'm convinced she's a failed aborted alien from outer space.
The storyline is jaw-droppingly stupid beyond words (why doesn't Dominguez shoot Lara in the cane field).
Why was blood censored through patches but there's still animations of spikes going through the silly cow's throat (as if she doesn't deserve it for being a total dullard with less personality than a glass of frigging water).
Lara constantly makes empty, dumbass, obvious comments out loud to herself like a mental patient in a Sanitarium who Kurtis should blast in the head.
She always sounds and looks like she's gonna cry like a baby who wants its mom's tit.
The game literally plays slower than TR1 with how frequent you have to tightly squeeze between vertical and horizontal gaps because it has to load more desperately than Parisian Ghetto.
The torch illuminates only a small specific circular patch on the facing wall as if light doesn't actually spread and bleed outwards which defies basic science.
EM addressed complaints about the lack of combat by going overboard with waves of combat in the DLC's like a guy who owns a large jeep trying to overcompensate for something.
"I'm all full up."
Shooting lacks the finesse and satisfaction the previous two games at least had.
Tombs are still pathetic singular rooms designed for and by people with snot for brains, and a huge reduction from levels such as Temple of Xian.
The game's presentation of it's story is criminally unstylish for a bloody entertainment product as it's more bland than soggy croutons.
There is such little overall fun-factor I would rather read that book Grandma SquarePants gives Spongebob on his birthday.
Underwater swimming was reintroduced - yay- but there's piranha everywhere just to inhibit exploration.
Invisible walls return in all their punchable glory. The father of whoever implemented them should really have used protection that night.
The music in the game is duller and less emotive than literal silence.
Lara and Jonah's interactions are awkward like two co-workers alone in the staff room who sort of know each other making small talk.
Lara crafts less ammo slower than in Rise. Amnesia, much?

All in all I'd rather stick two flaming shish kebabs in my eyes than play Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's a bigger waste of hard drive space than **** pics on a lesbian's laptop.

Last edited by _Seth; 19-10-19 at 18:01.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 17:35   #2
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
The animations are uglier and jankier than Bubsy 3D, so much so I'm convinced she's a failed aborted alien from outer space.

The game literally plays slower than TR1 with how frequent you have to tightly squeeze between vertical and horizontal gaps because it has to load more desperately than Parisian Ghetto.

The torch illuminates only a small specific circular patch on the facing wall as if light doesn't actually spread and bleed outwards which defies basic science.

Tombs are still pathetic singular rooms designed for people with snot for brains to complete which is a huge reduction from levels such as Temple of Xian.

The game's presentation of it's story is criminally unstylish for a bloody entertainment product as it's more bland than soggy croutons.

There is such little overall fun-factor I would rather read that book Grandma SquarePants gives Spongebob on his birthday.

Underwater swimming was reintroduced - yay- but there's piranha everywhere just to inhibit exploration.

Invisible walls return in all their punchable glory.
I agree with all these points

The story doesn’t feel as grandeur and immersing as TR2013 and Rise...

Crafting/upgrading weapons/outfits feels way bloated than TR2013 and Rise. TR2013 was perfection in the salvage/skills department...

AoD Lara downgraded...

Lara doesn’t hold the shotgun like TR2013/Rise

Nitpicky...
Old 19-10-19, 18:47   #3
Chamayoo
Professor

Ok let's say :

- Invisible walls
- Many sections only dedicated to one thing : combat / or / platforming / or / puzzles, instead of being blend together
- Except for hubs and optional tombs, very linear (like TR'13 and Rise)
- Too much slow walks or cinematic tiny holes (like TR'13)
- Disappointed hubs with things almost reduced of talking to NPCs
- San Juan unclimbable structures and ladders, that was cruel !
- Automated lighting

Appart from all of that I like the game overall
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 19:02   #4
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Ok let's say :

- Invisible walls
- Many sections only dedicated to one thing : combat / or / platforming / or / puzzles, instead of being blend together
- Except for hubs and optional tombs, very linear (like TR'13 and Rise)
- Too much slow walks or cinematic tiny holes (like TR'13)
- Disappointed hubs with things almost reduced of talking to NPCs
- Automated lighting

Appart from all of that I like the game overall
Now I have a name for them...

For the automated lighting, yeah. :/ For eg. in the Cenote, when you walk on a certain trigger, everything lights up unnaturally...
Old 19-10-19, 19:35   #5
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

“Oh lord again, a ****ing gain, nothing new nothing changed same ol ****.” - Jasmine Masters
Old 19-10-19, 20:26   #6
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
You need to check out this thread and my YouTube channel then.
Old 19-10-19, 20:32   #7
Emix
Relic Hunter

Honestly the game was good. But there are some things that bothered me too much, especially in 2nd part of the game
I already talked about both positives and negatives few times so i don't want to repeat myself. But at the end game left bad taste in my mouth tbh.
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 20:35   #8
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
You need to check out this thread and my YouTube channel then.
Oh this looks cool ! Great work ! I should try by myself one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Now I have a name for them...
Good news. I always struggled to name them

Last edited by Chamayoo; 19-10-19 at 20:37.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 20:57   #9
malferink
Explorer

As I've just written about this a few days ago I'll go ahead and just post it again here:

It hurts me to say this but I agree with the negative reviews the most. The game just didn't live up to anything. It didn't live up to be a proper sequel, it was worse in most departments compared to the previous two games (Shadow is just nowhere near as polished as 2013 and Rise), and it certainly wasn't the ending to the trilogy most people hoped for. On top of that, the game is full of holes itself, not regarding the overall reboot sotryline, but even it's own. It just felt like everything was a step down from the last two games.

I only watched the CGI trailer and the E3 trailer and then went radio silent for the rest of all press release. The only thing I knew was that the game would revolve around an apocalypse, that Camilla still couldn't get over how dark the ending was and that the game would be more stealth focused. The CGI trailer got me hyped AF but the E3 trailer disappointed me.

So when I finally started the game in september, I was amazed by how good everything looked. I loved the opening. I loved the rooftop scene with Jonah (one of the few good acted parts of this game). Up until Kuwak Yaku everything was amazing and I felt so overwhelmed. I didn't expect it to be that good. When Croft Manor happened I was on the verge of tears. And then... yeah it went downhill pretty fast. Paititi ruined the game for me. Everything in it was bad. I had voice immersion on and I couldn't believe Lara was talking English back to them. The voice acting and lip syncing was horrendous. Paititi felt empty AF. The charachters were horribly one dimensional. Dominguez was the leader of some random tribe, which had nothing to do with previous games, while also being the leader of trinity, are you kidding me?

San Juan felt like a breath of fresh air but it was over as soon as it started. Then the point of no return popped up. I lost pretty much all enthousiasm for the game by then. The ending was weak. The boss fight was weak. The final scene with Lara and Jonah in Paititi was weak. It left me with such a sour taste in my mouth, I was so disappointed.

The DLCs were great but they were all during the campaign so it felt like they never reached their full potential. Not to mention they were hidden behind incredibly long loading screens - one thing I loved about the two previous games how seamless everything blended together. This, again, just felt weak.

Shadow was just such a disappointing mess, to me, at least, and that's coming from a huge classics and reboot fan.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 21:11   #10
_Seth
Archaeologist

^The structure of the whole game is just awful, messy and unfocussed. I don't think psuedo-open world is appropriate for TR. You've just got these large samey looking masses of flat land as hubs with random tomb rooms and crypt scattered about some of the edges, a lot of which can only be accessed later due to gear gating. I think Shadow would have been heaps better if it actually followed the classic level-after-level structure and embedded all tombs, including DLC tombs, mandatorily into the hubs and in between areas and adjusted to formulate a set of 15 or so solid levels, with all the fat trimmed. Paititi should have been a long uninhabited subterranean city.