www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 03-09-19, 19:53   #1
Mutant Messiah
Student

Default Why was SOTTR the lowest rated game in the trilogy?

Every time I go to the forums, I feel like I'm observing a different crowd, with a lot of people claiming that SOTTR was the best game in the trilogy.

Though in the bigger picture of things, Tomb Raider fans were always polarized since way back. Something like this is nothing new.

The thing with video games is, it doesn't have a Rotten Tomatoes sort of hub that sort of gives you an overall picture of how a video game is judged. You need to look like IGN or Gamespot or Metacritic (or all of them). And their scores were not consistent.

There is a consensus of some soft in the video gaming review community that SOTTR could be the weakest in the trilogy.

I know we all have our preference on what makes a good Tomb Raider game, but putting that aside, and trying to look more objectively at things (if there is such a thing), what made the first two games of the reboot had a high score, as compared to SOTTR?

1. Is it because SOTTR was puzzle oriented and that got casual fans disappointed?

Lara Croft Go is a pure puzzle game and it's one of the highest rated games in the TR franchise.

2. Is it because SOTTR copied game mechanics?

Rise did the same, and was having higher scores than 2013.

3. Is it because the story was mediocre?

So did the other two.

4. Is it due to lack of action sequences?

Lara Croft Go had none.

Just my two cents...

1. It was the least polished game in the trilogy, and it seems like a big factor in judging the overall merit of the game.

Witcher 3 was also clunky as hell (more so than SOTTR), but it had a very good story to support it.

Lara Croft Go, Tomb Raider Legend, Guardian of Light, Tomb Raider 2013, and Rise were all polished.

Underworld and AOD are not.

There's a pattern here. They have high and low ratings respectively.

2. SOTTR felt like a drag once you reach Paititi.

2013 and Rise did not have those moments. The action scenes were evenly spaced out.

Even the puzzle purist of a game that is Lara Croft Go did not feel like a drag because the levels were evenly divided.

What are your thoughts?
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 20:12   #2
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Story is all over the place, and focusing more on a stupid village with senseless restrictions instead of Lara herself, no replayability, lack of classic Lara elements, offscreen defeat of the organization we focused on for 2 games that changed Lara's life forever, well overall, a mediocre conclusion to an origin story. We were left with 0 sense of accomplishment, saying to ourselves "so did she become the tomb raider or not" . I'm sure I missed more points but this is what comes to mind right now.

Trailers and marketing stuff might affect people's experiences as well. I was so hyped when I saw the CGI teaser that came at the end of the Vikander movie and the full trailer but once we saw that TERRIBLE Amateurish e3 footage with very very downgraded graphics and character models... it killed all my hype for the game and couldn't care less till it was closer to release and they released better trailers. I think I even left the forum for a while. Before shadow I didn't think games could be downgraded like that at all. It feels normal to expect something even more bomb than Rise. Then the last of us gameplay also came out around that time at e3 and it caught everyone's attention with its graphics, animations and transitions. Then the head of eidos called tlou2 fake cause of jealousy knowing that shadow would flop. God, that was so unprofessional.

Last edited by Athukraz; 03-09-19 at 20:20.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 20:25   #3
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

• No replayability (no Chapter Replay, no CM without DLC - if there will be)
• Mediocre story (the others games’ story was above that)
• Pacing/Urgency (who cares about the apocalypse?)
• Unpolished and cartoony environments.
• Downgraded Lara model (sacrificed for Paititi - pun intended)
• Merchant system? (a big no-no for TR)
• Outfit restriction.
• DLC giving mostly tribal outfits.
• Vanilla game giving mostly tribal outfits.
• Lack of diversity (jungle, cave, jungle, jungle)
• Retcons
• De-evolution from 2013 Lara. Shadow Lara is equal to Rise’s ending Lara, which is still not enough for bEcOmiNg tHe tOmB rAidEr...

So, most of the problems are because of the story. The story introduces Paititi...
Old 03-09-19, 20:35   #4
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
1. Is it because SOTTR was puzzle oriented and that got casual fans disappointed?

Lara Croft Go is a pure puzzle game and it's one of the highest rated games in the TR franchise.
Though Shadow isn't "Lara Croft Go 2". It's a sequel to the heavy action "high-octane" games that TR2013 and Rise claim to be. Those who bought Shadow weren't expecting a puzzle oriented game.

I actually believe it's fair to say it was an important reason behind the lower marks.

Also, particularly among players (not professional reviewers), the rather early discounts took a toll. Angry people can make a mess in these situations, and they review bombed it with all their passion.
Old 03-09-19, 20:36   #5
Jamise_Croft
Explorer

Rise set the bar very high, and a lot of hype
Old 03-09-19, 20:39   #6
Raider8
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
This ^. I won't even bother saying anything more.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 20:40   #7
MBog
Archaeologist

I think it mainly has to do with the similarity with the other 2 games in the game mechanics. And the reason why Rise didn t suffer that much from this was because <<at the time>> they are only 'redoing it' a second time, but with shadow it is the third time.

Plus Rise introduced the improved crafting system, now it s really weird to think that tr2013 only had the scrap. That opened up the gameplay diversity a lot by introducing new mechanics stealth and droping objects, different ammo types become much more accesible. Rise also added swimming although very limited, it still is a contribution and the grapple, climbing trees etc. Shadow only added upon those already existing features, without adding something incredibly knew to someone without a observant eye.

The graphical gap between Rise and tr2013 is aldo much more notceable, from lara s model to the different effects and the bigger environments due to the next generation of consoles this time around. They already pushed their limits with Rise, so Shadow could only receive small improvements.

I d like to add that after tr2013 mostly everyone knew Lara survived a dangerous insland, so wanting to know what she ll do next could have played a huge part on Rise s reception. After Rise we know she is against Trinity, but she is not finished... naturaly she will fight them in the sequel... no << new >> or << what is she going to be up to next >> for Shadow. This lack of curiosity towards Shadow implies the lack of interest towards giving a great score by appreciating it harsly than with the other instalments.

Last edited by MBog; 03-09-19 at 20:50.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 20:41   #8
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
The thing with video games is, it doesn't have a Rotten Tomatoes sort of hub that sort of gives you an overall picture of how a video game is judged. You need to look like IGN or Gamespot or Metacritic (or all of them). And their scores were not consistent.

what... ?

Metacritic IS a hub, and you get an idea of how games get judged by just... reading those reviews...
So... ?

Last edited by killchan; 03-09-19 at 20:50.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 01:41   #9
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Stories sell games. If you look at the Uncharted Series and the Last of Us they both, in my opinion, have worse gameplay than the TR reboot. However, they make up for it with pretty graphics and an excellent story.

Shadow sacrificed graphics for Paititi which was definitely a bad move in my opinion.
The focus on gameplay makes the story appear pushed aside in favor of playability.

While I personally would prefer a better gameplay experience its no doubt that the story plays a huge role in the review score.
Old 04-09-19, 02:37   #10
b.gluch
Relic Hunter

Shadow kinda just leaves you with blue balls...