www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 22-01-21, 14:24   #17911
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Knowing that Alicia is indeed pregnant does give me a bit hope they are now really waiting for her to safely deliver her baby and recover well to start shooting the movie.

But then I see MGM's finances and think the only way this movie is getting made is if we buy MGM ourselves... Anyone with a few billion to spare? :v
Old 22-01-21, 14:50   #17912
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Knowing that Alicia is indeed pregnant does give me a bit hope they are now really waiting for her to safely deliver her baby and recover well to start shooting the movie.

But then I see MGM's finances and think the only way this movie is getting made is if we buy MGM ourselves... Anyone with a few billion to spare? :v
Apple can still buy it or Amazon or there will be a coup de théâtre and someone will play for MGM debts behind the curtain who knows. Or Warner will take the franchise.
Old 22-01-21, 22:23   #17913
SoraSakai
Professor

You’re forgetting about the ongoing and worsening pandemic.

And also that MGM can’t finance the film until AFTER 007 releases.

Even if they were bought, that’s a 2-3 year process. Buying a company isn’t like buying some ice cream.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 22-01-21 at 23:13.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-21, 23:59   #17914
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Even if they were bought, that’s a 2-3 year process. Buying a company isn’t like buying some ice cream.
True. In case someone buys MGM and someone negotiates with GKFilms all that process would take years. Would anyone seriously finance a sequel to TR2018 in 2023? I doubt it.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 01:14   #17915
AimlessThunder
Professor

I still think that they should release a CGI movie on Netflix in the meantime.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 02:41   #17916
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
True. In case someone buys MGM and someone negotiates with GKFilms all that process would take years. Would anyone seriously finance a sequel to TR2018 in 2023? I doubt it.
Exactly that, yes. I don’t even consider that to be “negative.”

The tomb raider franchise is more than film adaptations. Ellioft just has trouble distinguishing between “thinking it’s cancelled” and “wanting it to be cancelled.”

Which is why they respond in a personally offended manner every time it’s discussed.

Even objectively speaking, a sequel makes no sense.

List of why it won’t happen
1. MGM’s current financial position.
2. Alicia is pregnant.
3. There’s a pandemic.
4. Financial success uncertain due to above pandemic.
5. The first film came out years ago and was only modestly successful.
6. The director is signed on to another film.
7. Precedent set by other films bombing financially in the pandemic (Birds of Prey, WW84, Tenet).
8. Previously mentioned pandemic is actually worsening, not improving.

List of reasons why the sequel can be made:
1. ????
Old 23-01-21, 03:22   #17917
Rai

Well to be fair, Alicia won't be pregnant forever and while Ben is signed on to another movie, it doesn't mean he can't find room in his schedule for TR, he was signed onto TR first, after all.

However, if it was only those two things, hope for the sequel would be higher. They could wait for Alicia to give birth and have a few months with her baby, then see about (possibly) filming. Unfortunately, the financial situation of MGM and the pandemic are the main concerns, and they're not going away quickly.

Like Ellioft, I like to stay positive that a sequel is still possible, but time and the state of things aren't on our side, sadly.
Old 23-01-21, 10:54   #17918
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I mean considering the time we saw those beach pictures in July were she had a bit of a bump and now I am estimating January/February could be her due date.
Old 23-01-21, 14:37   #17919
SoraSakai
Professor

Even if she weren’t pregnant, there’s still 7 other reasons as to why it’s not possible to be filmed.

And 0 reasons as to why it could be.

Keep in mind, “THE IP IS STRONG” doesn’t mean anything in the current context.
Old 23-01-21, 22:40   #17920
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
List of why it won’t happen
1. MGM’s current financial position.
This is the most likely reason. Unless MGM can pick themselves up/ a deal happens really quickly, a direct sequel to the 2018 film does seem unlikely at this point. However, I like to hope that a new TR film can still happen, perhaps a standalone story. And not too far in the future.

Quote:
2. Alicia is pregnant.
Going by the pic I saw, not for too much longer. She could be at 7 months by now (unfortunately the pic was stolen, so is no longer available publicly). Alicia may want a couple of months or so as maternity leave, but chances are she'll be back to work soon enough - wherever the pandemic allows and depending on any films she's signed to being ready to film.

Quote:
3. There’s a pandemic. 8. Previously mentioned pandemic is actually worsening, not improving.
The pandemic as a reason is real enough, but there are films starting and continuing to be filmed. Sorry, but imo, it doesn't count as two reasons, just one. Let's go with 3 and 3a

Quote:
4. Financial success uncertain due to above pandemic. 7. Precedent set by other films bombing financially in the pandemic (Birds of Prey, WW84, Tenet).
Again you're using the pandemic as an excuse, and these two work as one (imo). Yes, Hollywood is suffering due to the pandemic and success is shaky at best. However, to stay hopeful, lets say the vaccines allow things to slowly get back to normal by the end of the summer (August/September), then films started at this point or early next year may not suffer as badly, or at all by release. I mean in general, it might be too late for TR, sadly, even if MGM can work a financial miracle.

Quote:
5. The first film came out years ago and was only modestly successful.
Yet the 2018 still did well enough for a a sequel to be be set in motion, with a director, writer and script ready. We would be getting the film this March, so I don't see this as a good enough reason on its own.

Quote:
6. The director is signed on to another film.
So? Ben was signed on to TR before he signed on to the other film. Whilst he can't work on both films at the same time, that doesn't rule out doing both films one after the other, depending on schedules. Has the other film started filming? Or has the pandemic stopped that too? Whilst the pandemic has slowed this, it hasn't necessarily put a stop to them altogether.

I would say there are 3-4 reason why the film can't go ahead at present. And the 4th one is tied still with the 3rd - the pandemic. So three reasons, one of which would, under normal circumstances, be only a set back.

Quote:
List of reasons why the sequel can be made:
1. ????
1, It already has a star who was pretty much already set to do it. Alicia's pregnancy would hardly have been a reason on its own to cancel the film, just delay it.
2, It already has a director who was already set to do it.
3, It already had a writer and a script ready to go.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, there really doesn't seem to be much hope for the sequel, but come on, your list was exaggerated at best, with 2 or more reasons being repeats, or at best, extensions of one reason.

Last edited by Rai; 23-01-21 at 23:29.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote