www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old Yesterday, 13:31   #1
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Default What are the absolute worst areas in the Tomb Raider games?

Decided to move this from the general TR thread since it seemed like it could be its own topic.

TR1: Atlantis (Way too long, drags on and on, deserved to be cut down)

TR4: Cairo (Lots of new mechanics not introduced, ridiculously hidden cracks in walls, gun turrets, ridiculously hidden and confusing mechanics.

TR5: Red Alert (I loved the VCI levels besides this one that's buggy as hell and several parts feel cheap)

AOD: Breath of hades (just **** that level with AODs control scheme.

Legend: Bike levels (I loved the concept of them, but driving for what felt like hours just to shoot at baddies who just absorbed bullets like sponges and the lack of ability to do anything cool on the bike made me really dislike these sections as cool as they are.)

2013: Shantytown (Ugly as ****, ridiculous combat, even for Uncharted standards it just dragged and was extremely unrealistic. Absolutely hated this place with a passion.

Rise: Geothermal Valley (Ugly as **** with it's muted colors, the anti aliasing was horrible in this section and I found the side quests to be really boring sometimes and not as rewarding as they should have been. Also hated how a majority of the the tombs we're locked until end game.)

Shadow: Paititi (Do you'll even have to ask why? ****ing outfit restrictions on a section that comprised up to 80% of the game. ****ing ridiculous. Hated how big it was and how easy it was to get confused with the layout. Hated the NPCs just ****ing repeating each other, it's like EM got lazy af and decided to repeat the same NPC model 1000 times. Hated the social aspect of it way more then Geothermal because at least in Rise it felt isolated and lost, Paititi was just a 10min jog through the woods. Completely unbelievable. Really stupid side quests like fetching dice for a boy who could have learned this "lesson" on his own. Lara's personality ****ing died in this place, abysmal area, easily number 1 if I had to rank them)

What are your most disliked areas in the franchise?

Last edited by charmedangelin; Yesterday at 13:34.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:13   #2
trfan16
Archaeologist

TRI - Tomb of Tihocan - This level was pretty much Cistern 2.0. The only noteworthy part was the Centaurs fight at the end, which really could've been merged with Cistern.

TRII - Offshore Rig - I don't hate this level as much as others, but did we really need two levels with very similar gameplay? Not to mention, the entire section is nothing but an eyesore. I would've kept the beginning parts of Offshore Rig and merge them with Diving Area. Diving Area at least had more traps than Offshore Rig.

TRIII - Caves of Kaliya - Probably one of the worst levels in the series. Who thought it was a good idea to dedicate a whole level to a maze? Especially when the entire maze design is nonsensical. They would've been better off having 2-3 trap rooms before the boss fight similar to Temple of Puna.

TRIV - Cairo - I really want to like the Cairo section because the atmosphere is amazing, but there are too many annoying parts for me to like it. First off, the section drags on for too long. There are like 6 levels and they all look the same except for Citadel. The bike parts are also pretty annoying, along with all the human enemies and the turret guns.

TRV - Russia - It's been a long time since I've played this game and forgot most of the parts. But I remember this section being a drag, even though I usually love underwater sections.

AOD - Sanitorium - I want to like the Kurtis levels, but the fact he controls like crap ruins them. Good concept behind them, but the gameplay would've been better suited for Lara.

Legends - Bike levels - I agree, I hate both bike sections in Peru and Kazakhstan. But I like the rest of the levels. The bike levels suck because they just dragged on and the environments felt like they came from an N64 game.

Anniversary - Atlantis - I really disliked how the remake handled the entire Atlantis section. I especially hated the entire Final Conflict level.

Underworld - Adriatic Sea - It's been a long time since I've touched this game as well, but I remember not liking this level. I guess mostly because the underwater section wasn't that great.

TR2013 - Shantytown - I agree, this entire section is nothing but a drag. The colors are hideous and the excessive combat is a turn off for me.

ROTTR - Geothermal Valley - After spending an eternity in the Soviet Installation snowy area, you would think this area would be a breath of fresh air. Instead, it was so boring and uneventful. Even when the Deathless Ones attacked the village, this area still sucked.

SOTTR - Paititi - You pretty much nailed the answer for this one.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:21   #3
xdesperado_
Historian

TR1: Never really liked The Cistern. Easily my least favourite level of the entire game.

TR2: The underwater Maria Doria levels are tedious to me.

TR3: The entire London section.

The Last Revelation: The game takes a nosedive after Alexandria. The Giza levels (excluding Underneath the Sphinx) were just okay though.

Chronicles: The Labyrinth & Red Alert levels.

AOD: The Parisian Ghetto hub, all of the Hall of Seasons sub-levels (excluding Neptune's Hall) & everything after The Monstrum Crimescene. The Sanitarium had a brilliantly creepy atmosphere, but it just wasn't right for TR, it felt more Resident Evil.

Legend: Initially I didn't like the England level that much, but it has grown on me over the years. I don't like Bolivia Redux, it's a cheap finale to the game.

Anniversary: Like TR1, the 'cistern' portion of the Tomb of Tihocan level. And I found the side rooms in Obelisk of the Khamoon too tedious to explore. Those damn wall blade traps.

Underworld: Everything except the Mediterranean Sea, Thailand & Mexico sections.

TR2013: Shantytown & Geothermal Caverns.

ROTTR: Geothermal Valley.

SOTTR: Paititi.

Last edited by xdesperado_; Yesterday at 14:28.
xdesperado_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:50   #4
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider - Natla’s Mines (it’s not bad but it’s not up there compared to the rest of the game)

Tomb Raider 2 - The whole of Venice, The whole of Off Shore Rig, The whole of Maria Dora, The whole of Tibetan Foothills, The whole of Floating Islands.

Tomb Raider 3 - Lud’s Gate, The Whole Nevada section, Lost City of Tinnos.

Tomb Raider 4 - Cairo Section.

Chronicles - VCI Section

Angel of Darkness - Breath of Hades

Legend - Kazakhstan (Again, it’s not bad but not up there with the rest of the game)

Underworld - From Half of Mexico to the end of the game.

Tomb Raider’13 - Shanty Town Hub.

Rise of Tomb Raider Soviet Installation Hub.

Shadow of Tomb Raider Croft Manor, Paititi.
Old Yesterday, 16:06   #5
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Anywhere with Spikes tbh but also...

Tomb Raider - Tomb of Tihocan (except the tomb area) By this point the Greece section had gone on too long and there's really nothing of value.

Tomb Raider 2 - Nowhere tbh. I love it all.

Tomb Raider 3 - Lud’s Gate mostly.

Tomb Raider 4 - Cairo. On my playthroughs of this game I only have reached this section and then eventually stop.

Chronicles - Nothing really in this game.

Angel of Darkness - I hated the Boaz fight when I was younger. It was really annoying. Didn't realise you could swap targets. Other than that nothing else really.

Legend - Nowhere to complain about.

Underworld - Thailand and Mexico are the best. The other locations are okay, nothing I hate.
Old Yesterday, 16:13   #6
Delca
Hobbyist

(Unpopular opinion here!)

TR1 - Haven't played this game in years, so I really don't know.

TR2 - The Opera, very dark area. I remember that I couldn't beat this level as a kid.

TR3 - the first two levels of the London section, RX-Tech Mines (awful controls!), Madubu Gorge (awful controls˛), High Security Compound (don't take my guns!). Caves of Kalikya isn't great too.

TR4 - Alexandria, Cairo, Giza... in fact, I only like 3 or 4 levels in this game. Despite its beauty, Coastal Ruins is very confusing.

TR5 - The whole VCI, Ireland, the second level of Rome and half of Russia.

TRAOD - The Kurtis section.

Legend/Anniversary - I love all of them.

Underworld - Thailand and Mexico are amazing. The rest isn't that great, especially those huge underwater sections. A nightmare!

TR2013/Rise/Shadow - Very enjoyable games overall. I don't have anything negative to say about them. Shantytown, the Geo Valley and Paititi are my absolute highlights, I could just walk around and explore for hours and never get bored.

Last edited by Delca; Yesterday at 16:21.
Delca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:18   #7
dg1995
Explorer

Kurtis levels is the only answer.

Since those are the worst TR levels of all time.(Because Kurtis abilities was so downgraded that his levels are just about killing enemies with a worse combat compare to PS1 TR games)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:11   #8
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

Shadow: Paititi (Do you'll even have to ask why? ****ing outfit restrictions on a section that comprised up to 80% of the game. ****ing ridiculous. Hated how big it was and how easy it was to get confused with the layout. Hated the NPCs just ****ing repeating each other, it's like EM got lazy af and decided to repeat the same NPC model 1000 times. Hated the social aspect of it way more then Geothermal because at least in Rise it felt isolated and lost, Paititi was just a 10min jog through the woods. Completely unbelievable. Really stupid side quests like fetching dice for a boy who could have learned this "lesson" on his own. Lara's personality ****ing died in this place, abysmal area, easily number 1 if I had to rank them)
What the hell?? I finally played the demo last night and was debating whether to buy it while it was on sale on PSN.

What do they force you to wear?
Being able to change out of some cringey tribal outfit is 100% a deal breaker with this game.
Old Yesterday, 17:28   #9
SnatchingEdges
Professor

Atlantis is pure, primitive trash. Oil Rig lvls are ugly, unnecessary and annoying.

Paititi for lowering the high bar Shadow was setting storywise.

Cairo only has good atmosphere. The design is so confusing, the combat is trash and the vehicle controls in such a small place are trash.

Antartica levels from TR3, especially the Mines. Idk I don't get the hype. They're ugly, hard (in a bad way) and the controls are bad (again). I beat the Mines once and I'm not doing it again, I just use the skip level cheat. It was difficult to beat Atlantis as the worst section, but yeah Antartica does it.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; Yesterday at 17:32.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:39   #10
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
What the hell?? I finally played the demo last night and was debating whether to buy it while it was on sale on PSN.

What do they force you to wear?
Being able to change out of some cringey tribal outfit is 100% a deal breaker with this game.
If you buy the edition with all the DLC, i’d say wait to do the DLC until after you finish the game. Then you can wear any outfit you’d like, if you don’t you are stuck with wearing the tribal clothes lol.