www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Next Generation Level Editor

Old 19-03-20, 20:27   #11
LaraHCroft91
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Oh, now I understand why you could edit normals without exporting the normals.mqo with EditWad.
I do not have that version of Meta. So no normals visible in my version of Meta.

And yes, the normals in the normals.mqo must be the single average normals that TR-Freak mentioned then.
I just downloaded the version 4 this morning Because i wanted to change the normals. In my good old version 2.3 there are also no normals.

True. It must be it. It is interesting that when i examined TR4 mesh of Lara's calf in meta (from StrPix) it had also multiple normals for vertexes... so why in TR4 is no flat shading then? Or does the Metasequoia 4 lies to me? But the results i have are allsaying. Interesting...
Old 20-03-20, 03:41   #12
sapper
Archaeologist

Yes Metasequoia is lying to you.

There is no normal info in the mqo exported from StrPix so Metasequoia is creating the normals you see.

The normal info stored in your Meta 4 mqo is not imported by StrPix either since they weren't part of the mqo file format when I wrote the importer for StrPix.

The wad format only allows one normal for each vertex so in a standard wad all models are smooth shaded.

Hard/flat shading requires more than one normal for each point of the model.

In TR to get hard/flat shaded you need to actually increase the vertices so you have duplicates at each point, i.e. each polygon is separate, not joined.

You can do that in Editwad since the importer does not join close vertices but not in StrPix.

For Lara skin object duplicate vertices make it hard to remap the joints.

Last edited by sapper; 20-03-20 at 03:43.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-20, 06:40   #13
LaraHCroft91
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Yes Metasequoia is lying to you.

There is no normal info in the mqo exported from StrPix so Metasequoia is creating the normals you see.

The normal info stored in your Meta 4 mqo is not imported by StrPix either since they weren't part of the mqo file format when I wrote the importer for StrPix.

The wad format only allows one normal for each vertex so in a standard wad all models are smooth shaded.

Hard/flat shading requires more than one normal for each point of the model.

In TR to get hard/flat shaded you need to actually increase the vertices so you have duplicates at each point, i.e. each polygon is separate, not joined.

You can do that in Editwad since the importer does not join close vertices but not in StrPix.

For Lara skin object duplicate vertices make it hard to remap the joints.
Interesting... Thank you for the info But then how is it possible that i got those results when modifying those "meta" normals? Meta has to add some info about normals to .mqo when exporting then. And when importing it into StrPix maybe the normals are averaged by the "new" info so they become one again?

And i am reminding that I need to correct the normals by TR2 meshes so editwad can't help me because i didn't find a way how to explore TR2 meshes with those averaged normals (that editwad provides). I only managed to export TR2 meshes from TRViewer into Meta and turn on normals to see them. But at the end it works... so it is a mystery.

NEW: I did the right way with editwad and corrected all normals by the TR2 meshes. I don't know if the meshes from wall.tr2 kept their normals but the result looks better than before I think. So thank you everyone But still it is a shame that the StrPix exporter/importer doesn't keep normals since they are important for meshes.

Last edited by LaraHCroft91; 22-03-20 at 11:11.
LaraHCroft91 is offline   Reply With Quote