www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot game has the best outfit selection?
Tomb Raider 8 9.20%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 43 49.43%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 10 11.49%
Please use unique game titles next time CD, 'Tomb Raider' was already taken 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-19, 09:43   #1
tlr online
Administrator

Question Which reboot game has the best outfit selection?

Poll requested by charmedangelin.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 10:47   #2
noonbob
Professor

None of them because no shorts (the classic ported models don't count)

Last edited by noonbob; 08-12-19 at 12:37.
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 11:46   #3
tomee
Tomb Raider

Rise, without doubt. I remember at the time we complained about the large number of huntress, costumes... oh boy, were we in for a big surprise. I literally cannot understand what was the thought process when developing Shadow. Did they seriously think 50+ tribal costumes is what we wanted? Sure give us some, but why'd they have to make 85% of them tribal. Crazy. TReboot had some nice costumes, but is dwarfed by Rise, which gave us a large and varied selection.
Old 08-12-19, 11:52   #4
veigafd
Archaeologist

"No one of the Tomb Raider"
Old 08-12-19, 12:24   #5
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

This isn't even a contest. Rise clearly eclipses Shadow and the reboot.
Old 08-12-19, 13:23   #6
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Hard to choose between ROTTR and SOTTR, because SOTTR has one of my very favorite outfits (the Adventure and the tactical ones) and has many favorites from ROTTR that transitioned into it. But I think I’ll go with ROTTR because it has more outfits that I love - the leather jacket and desert tank top, and the Henley variants, the remnant jacket, the red jacket and the TR3 reimagined one

Last edited by Vaskito; 08-12-19 at 13:24.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 14:09   #7
Portugalraider
Professor

Perhaps controversially I will go with TR2013 for two reasons:
  • While both RotTR and SotTR have some great outfits in them, they also have a lot of crap. Sometimes less is more;
  • If we play the game as intended (always with the main outfit), the main outfit of TR2013 tells a story of how much crap has Lara endured on Yamatai, yet she remains alive and keeps going, despite all odds. I love that sort of visual storytelling.

And that visual storytelling is something that I hope returns for the next games. Sure keep the extra outfits (they could be cool unlockable a like in TRL and TRA and, very arguably, SotTR), but let them only be usable in Chapter Replay and New Game + modes. For the first time you play the game, let the outfit tell a story again.

Like, how cool would have been if, after the Jaguar attack, the back of the Tactical Adventurer outfit remained damaged for the rest of the game (or at least until Lara reaches Paititi)?
Old 08-12-19, 14:35   #8
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Like, how cool would have been if, after the Jaguar attack, the back of the Tactical Adventurer outfit remained damaged for the rest of the game (or at least until Lara reaches Paititi)?
Once she wakes up, the automatic outfit is with the tactical with jaguar pelt over it, so I think itís safe to assume that canonically the outfit underneath it is damaged and thatís why has covered herself with the jaguar pelt to hide it
Old 08-12-19, 14:57   #9
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Rise without a shadow of doubt. heh

A somewhat decent balance of outfits, has some very nice looking ones like Syria Tanktop, red hoodie and the leather jacket in the main campaign, doesn`t have a gazillion distracting, ugly, feathery and butt-ropery costumes. The 20th anniversary content was very nice too.

I do have to give it to TR2013 though, its outfit choice is very smart and follows the thematic of the game nicely, making references to other survivors and action figures in movies or real life.

Also, I like Tactical Adventurer in theory but I hate its execution in game. I think it looks pretty weird and boxy. It looks anmazing in the CGI trailer though.

Last edited by VictorXD; 08-12-19 at 14:59.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 15:08   #10
Robwood
Professor

Costumes aren't something that I'm much concerned about, until I'm given reason to, so I haven't really paid all that much attention to the trilogy's attires. STR is disqualified, of course, which leaves the first two games. I don't remember any from the first and the only one from RTR that I can remember is the sacra umbra. Even though it's my favorite, it's unlocked too late to take full advantage of. Overall, I'd say neither game has good selection.