www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 24-09-19, 20:30   #161
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I think some horror elements would work really well if done properly, this sequel is even more promising than I was expecting.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be rated R (personally I wouldn't mind it at all).

At least it's not going to be the typical action movie that is filled with comedy just because that's the trend nowdays.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 24-09-19 at 20:32.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 22:27   #162
Portugalraider
Professor

I think the movie might actually have more humour than we are actually expecting though, even if they do go for a darker tone overall. Not your standard Hollywood/MCU humour, but a definitely very British humour instead.

Which, as long as it doesn't destroy the overall mood of the movie/scene (and considering at least Amy's and Ben's work of Free Fire, it will actually enhance them) can be a really good fit to Alicia's take on Lara: she was already very snarky when her frustration levels reached a new high, add in a more British flavour to that and it can be even more of a winner combo.
Old 24-09-19, 23:04   #163
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

One issue I do have with reboot Lara is that there are times she comes across as an Americanised version of an English girl. There are a lot more western influences in her character. It's going to be nice to see a British females take on her without interference. I know Rhianna is English but I felt that the narrative made Lara more believably British when Rhianna had more control over her scenarios like the little add-ons in the comic storylines. In the game she felt a lot more Hollywood and in the movie is was a bit of a mismatch at times.

I feel when more Western influencers are involved we get more of Lara being a superhero/final girl girl next door type character but when we have more British influencers we see that more no nonsense, snarky side to her. Not to bash either developer at all it just seems to have a different vibe not to say one is better than the other.

The London sections of the film felt very grimey and British indie film especially the cameos from Jamie Winstone who's huge on that scene and the inclusion of Lara being a food courier etc.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 24-09-19 at 23:11.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 15:48   #164
Portugalraider
Professor

We have a set decorator!

Paki Smith: worked with Ben in High-Rise and Free Fire. Also worked on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns, John Carter and Dracula Untold.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 26-09-19 at 16:47.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 16:45   #165
andre_costa
Explorer

Question: who's that Elizabeth Cantillon? Where did she come from to this movie?
Old 26-09-19, 16:54   #166
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_costa View Post
Question: who's that Elizabeth Cantillon? Where did she come from to this movie?
Well, she was a producer of "Girl in the Spider Web" and is producing the reboot of "Charlie's Angel". So she is someone with money who wants to invest in female-lead potential franchises. Extra money for the movie.

Although I have to say, considering those movies, I hope Graham King has more of an hand on the movie than her.
Old 26-09-19, 17:59   #167
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
We have a set decorator!

Paki Smith: worked with Ben in High-Rise and Free Fire. Also worked on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns, John Carter and Dracula Untold.
Interesting choice the use of the sets in Free Fire was really well done imo. Also John Carter take place in a desert location and Dark Knight Rise into a snowy one (Gotham) and dont forget Wayn's Manor in Batman Beggins (I would love to see the ending after the adventure take place into a burning Croft Manor).

If everything is true TR sequel will be an author film

Last edited by Ellioft; 26-09-19 at 18:15.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 18:25   #168
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Interesting choice the use of the sets in Free Fire was really well done imo. Also John Carter take place in a desert location and Dark Knight Rise into a snowy one (Gotham) and dont forget Wayn's Manor in Batman Beggins (I would love to see the ending after the adventure take place into a burning Croft Manor).

If everything is true TR sequel will be an author film
Although at a smaller scale, it would be very interesting if the Tomb Raider sequel ends up being to Ben Wheatley what Batman Begins was to Cristopher Nolan: definitely franchise movies by their nature, but still with an auteur flavor.
Old 28-09-19, 15:24   #169
Cat Woman
Explorer

I enjoyed the first movie and at least we have a release date to look forward to. . Can’t say the same for the TR games.