JAMJOOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 08:08   #32
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Thanks!

Had some fun with OpenLara today:

I love this water, post a video of it in animating. Did you apply a water shader too?
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 12:16   #33
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
I love this water, post a video of it in animating. Did you apply a water shader too?
This is how any water room and surface gets rendered in the OpenLara engine. It's possible to somewhat emulate it in TRLE with a lot of effort (see LoreRaider's recent work). I'm trying to find ways to remaster water surfaces properly within the Tomb Raider 2 engine so we at least get some translucency, but we might have to wait until Arsunt's Tomb2Main makes that possible. Until then, this was just a demo of sorts for what it could look like.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 13:04   #34
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Question:

Is it possible to have this kind of texture for water surfaces when replacing textures for TR2?

This was done with TRXtra for TR1 but idk if the way Peixoto is used allows for more sophisticated water textures.

Thanks all. Every texture has presented it's own challenge so far and has really exposed me as a self-taught amateur designer, but I'm determined to get it up to a good enough standard for everyone.
Why not just download the textures and have a look at them?
AFAIK these are just higher resolution textures which use fancy texture work. Thats all...
Kind of like the TR1 water texture near the waterfall which is all foamy.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 14:48   #35
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Why not just download the textures and have a look at them?
AFAIK these are just higher resolution textures which use fancy texture work. Thats all...
Kind of like the TR1 water texture near the waterfall which is all foamy.
I did, I have looked at, used them, modified them.

In short the answer to my own question is 'no' these textures are currently impossible to use in the TR2 engine.

I asked the question here because I have no idea yet how to replace textures using the Peixoto tool and was hoping rather using trial error, someone might have knowledge of how magenta textures are handled in TR2. This question was answered on Discord and therefore, I refer you back to my last post in which I explain that the kind of textures used for TRXtra are incompatible with the TR2 engine when using replacements. Currently, there is no support for anti aliased magenta texture edges meaning every pixel must have a hard edge.

My focus currently is on creating textures, testing those in a converted TR4 engine level then when it is finished, I will begin replacing all the textures within the TR2 engine making any adaptations as necessary. Anticipating the issues with water textures is part of that.

Last edited by Reggie; 22-03-20 at 14:50.
Old 07-06-20, 12:47   #36
Reggie

Hey everyone. A little update!

Progress stalled because I had issues understanding how Peixoto texture swapping works. I decided to wait for Arsunt to finish work on texture swapping for tomb2main. This should be coming up soon.

In the meantime, Tomb Editor now allows compiling to the Tomb Raider 2 engine so I at least have a means now to test whether the new textures/mods are compatible with the engine. So far, it's well under the limits and running smoothly. A few preview screens for you.

I haven't finished working on the whole map yet. I still need to work on rock transition textures, the Buddha statue and the Seraph feature wall. I don't know yet how far I will go with editing character models. For the sake of consistency, I may leave them alone so that players can load the mod seamlessly into their game with the IOS HD version.