www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 16-05-19, 20:37   #1
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

Default Microsoft and Sony strike games streaming deal

It seems the future of gaming is inevitably aligning towards streaming.

The two companies collaborating to compete with other companies on gaming would be an interesting change in the industry.

Consumer ownership is a concern amongst many though including myself, but the times keep on changing and things are transitioning to services.

But it makes sense, Sony's network infrastructure is to be desired and unlike Microsoft they don't have the money to do it themselves.

Quote:
Microsoft and Sony have formed a partnership on video games streaming, despite being fierce competitors.

It is expected Sony will use Microsoft’s Azure cloud service to host its upcoming PlayStation streaming service.

Microsoft has been trialling a streaming offer of its own, under its Xbox brand.

The firms said they would also work together on semiconductors and artificial intelligence applications.

"For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas,” said Kenichio Yoshida, Sony’s chief executive.

“I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content.”

Microsoft’s chief executive, Satya Nadella, said: "Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48304221
Old 16-05-19, 20:38   #2
klona
Gold Contributor

While they're at it, why don't they merge consoles as well?
That would put an end to console wars.
Old 16-05-19, 20:41   #3
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

...and an end to competition in the physical console market, well it'll be them against Nintendo but still that's not imo a good thing exactly.

But this makes more sense
Old 17-05-19, 08:36   #4
killchan
Historian

my PC says
Old 17-05-19, 13:24   #5
RequiredField
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post
It seems the future of gaming is inevitably aligning towards streaming.
I doubt it, really. Won't it be the same case when I heard that mobile platforms will kill desktops/laptops for both gaming and productivity? Professional gamers need milisecond precision and must use a platform with extremely low lag.
Enlighten me if I'm wrong. I'm only into old, classic games so I may not be the proper person to express valid opinions.
RequiredField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 14:00   #6
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiredField View Post
I doubt it, really. Won't it be the same case when I heard that mobile platforms will kill desktops/laptops for both gaming and productivity? Professional gamers need milisecond precision and must use a platform with extremely low lag.
Enlighten me if I'm wrong. I'm only into old, classic games so I may not be the proper person to express valid opinions.
I'm hoping this is the case, but with streaming it'll remove the loses incurred when releasing a new console. Since a new console is sold lower than it costs to make, with the games making up for those loses.

This in theory would be a Netflix style way of gaming so money would be made from a subscription model.

Low lag is priority for really anyone who wants to play a game comfortably (obviously professional gamers who want to excel would demand for very low lag), but that ties into the future of broadband and networking. So far we're just not there yet, but maybe eventually?
Old 17-05-19, 14:29   #7
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
While they're at it, why don't they merge consoles as well?
That would put an end to console wars.
If that were to happen..

Xbox Gamers: No way! I’m not buying that. It’s got GayStation all over it! That’s for losers!

PlayStation Gamers: **** that ****! If I wanted a S***box I’d have bought one years ago!

And the sales would plummet hahaha
Old 17-05-19, 14:34   #8
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

This type of cooperation makes a lot of sense. The companies with the necessary infrastructure were Amazon, Google and MS. MS has been marketing against Google's Stadia claiming that it does not have the content. Sony strength has been content. Distribute Sony's content over MS's cloud infrastructure and MS's system becomes that much more attractive compared to the competition.
Old 17-05-19, 17:42   #9
klona
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
If that were to happen..

Xbox Gamers: No way! I’m not buying that. It’s got GayStation all over it! That’s for losers!

PlayStation Gamers: **** that ****! If I wanted a S***box I’d have bought one years ago!

And the sales would plummet hahaha
It would/should go under a new name. Not 'Playstation' or 'XBOX'.

Maybe PlayBOX? or something entirely new and edgy.