www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-05-19, 20:56   #11
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
and I mean ACTUALLY researching it, don't have Jonah come in and Lara just go "OH HEY I FOUND WHERE TO GO!", actually show us it or even have it be a simple puzzle-thing.

So, for instance, if TR3 was done again, we get the whole flashback we had in the PS1 but maybe we see Lara in Croft Manor reading about the Infada Tribe then something written in there gives her the idea to go to India.
Thatís the same thing, my dude. Lara found a symbol out in the field, researched it, connected two myths, boom.
Old 17-05-19, 20:59   #12
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
That’s the same thing, my dude. Lara found a symbol out in the field, researched it, connected two myths, boom.
Not from what I recall in Rise.

Lara in Croft Manor, telling Jacob about finding I think it was Siberia and then they go there, I don't recall her finding a symbol or anything in Syria, been a while and I honestly have trouble remembering anything that happened.
Old 17-05-19, 21:06   #13
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Not from what I recall in Rise.

Lara in Croft Manor, telling Jacob about finding I think it was Siberia and then they go there, I don't recall her finding a symbol or anything in Syria, been a while and I honestly have trouble remembering anything that happened.
She does. It's in the trailer @1m52s. She finds the symbol in Syria and realizes she's seen that in one of her father's books, I believe. I also think that's the only reason she is in the manor, by the way.

iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 21:12   #14
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
She does. It's in the trailer @1m52s. She finds the symbol in Syria and realizes she's seen that in one of her father's books, I believe. I also think that's the only reason she is in the manor, by the way.

Oh that explains it, I was too busy getting annoyed at the stupid everything collapsing/magic detonator grab.
Old 17-05-19, 21:12   #15
Hepburn
Hobbyist

Quote:
Flashback, followed by the minimum needed exposition via Lara researching where to go (Like the Manor scenes in Legend) and I mean ACTUALLY researching it, don't have Jonah come in and Lara just go "OH HEY I FOUND WHERE TO GO!", actually show us it or even have it be a simple puzzle-thing.

I want actual on-screen research, not cutting to Lara already researched everything already.
This is another thing that I've been wanting to see in the reboot games. Show us what a great researcher/archaeologist she is (or has become). Too often, the way she rattles off historical facts in SotTR comes across as robotic (and not as impressive as it should). We don't see her process, so her knowledge can feel inhuman, unearned. I think RotTR does a bit better of a job of this? I don't remember it perfectly, but I think some of the scenes at her apartment and in Syria touch on her research a little. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, my concern would be making these segments interesting to the average gamer. Although I can picture a scene with her visiting a university library and having to interact with some starstruck undergraduate students. And as cliche as it would be, maybe she could schedule a meeting with a professor only to find them murdered in their office? I dunno.

And regarding an out-of-context mystery to start the game off? Anything could work if done well. I'd be a bit worried that that style of opening cut-scene might be too campy for this version of Tomb Raider. They certainly work in the older games that went for more of the comic book, plup adventure style of storytelling.

EDIT: OK. It seems she did more research in RotTR than I initially remembered. That's fine... I think those are some of the scenes that work best in the game. Would still like to see more of it.

Last edited by Hepburn; 17-05-19 at 21:31.
Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 21:25   #16
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepburn View Post
We don't see her process, so her knowledge can feel inhuman, unearned. I think RotTR does a bit better of a job of this? I don't remember it perfectly, but I think some of the scenes at her apartment and in Syria touch on her research a little. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I disagree. While Rise portrays Lara researching and connecting myths, itís not very intricate, often as convenient as literally finding symbols at her feet and usually accompanied by her fatherís own research. In Shadow, Laraís following clues and interpreting riddles, cracking defaced murals and processing information (sheís initially stuck with Lopezís hint towards St. John until she voices how un-Mayan it is, which is when it clicks).

I loved seeing that part of her.
Old 17-05-19, 21:38   #17
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepburn View Post
Her researcher/geeky side is one of the stuff about her that’s displayed the most. Yamatai happened after she spend countless hours researching about it, especially also because of Sam who wanted to learn more about her ancestors.

ROTTR, as you’ve already realized, happened also after a long research. That’s what she did once she left the Yamatai for the first time. She threw herself into investigating myths, and the ones her father already had some research on. Right at the beginning of ROTTR you see how her apartment is filled with investigative work. The same can be seen at the manor with lots of paper, books, laptop etc. you can see in BT.

SOTTR is a continuation of her research with Jonah’s help about the multiple Trinity cells she wants to shut down. In that process they then discover the Cozumel cell was the only one that wasn’t shut down yet (Trinity themselves would find ways to destroy the places they were looking for the dagger, by making it look like it was something natural, like flooding ruins with water, etc.). What happens in SOTTR is only discovered by her during the game, because Trinity made sure her father’s research about it would stop (and that’s when he switched to research about the divine source instead), so Lara didn’t know what they were after, and the whole stuff that came with it which resulted in SOTTRs main plot.

Besides this all, you see Lara giving her own insight and displaying her knowledge about the artifacts she finds. Plus, she can read and understand multiple languages, and monoliths and so on

Last edited by Vaskito; 17-05-19 at 21:41.
Vaskito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 21:59   #18
Hepburn
Hobbyist

OK. You guys changed my mind a bit. I'm just really struggling to remember some of those moments in detail. Maybe I'm getting hung up on the word "research," which I think is more related to pre-adventure prep than in-field riddle-solving? I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I loved seeing that part of her.
For sure. I mean, that's the reason I posted in the first place. I think those moments have great potential. And I do really like that scene in the San Juan library, which is able to accomplish the same narrative goals that we see in the "X marks the spot" scene from Last Crusade.
Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote