www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-05-19, 12:11   #11
Rai
Moderator
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a bubble outside the universe
Posts: 32,586
Default

I forgot to add. In the video YeauxLeaux posted, I don't think that's Camilla doing the voice over, but it's definitely her voicing in game lara.
__________________
If you like reading, please find and read my fan fic.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 13:14   #12
RodneyMac12
Historian
 
RodneyMac12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Sure if you want Lara to be in her late 30s, around 40, with a slight French twinge. I don't think she sounds like Lara, especially for Shadow. Camilla sounded perfectly fine in Shadow as a continuation of the character she's been playing over three games.

What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind. I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.
I didnít say I feel as though this character is a tribute to classic Lara, I said that this character REMINDED me of classic Lara. The first thing I thought of when I heard her talk was Lara and as a fan of TR, I naturally made a comparison to what we have now. So of course seeing the braid along with the voice and demeanor contributed to my observation.

Of course this voice wouldnít have been a good replacement for Shadow, but in my opinion, the trilogy all together. If anyone disagrees, thatís totally fine, but I like a more stern sounding Lara. This thread was just to highlight the voice actor, not the braid as it was just an add on.
__________________
"If, no when you step out of line, you'll get it"
RodneyMac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 13:48   #13
Amunet
Archaeologist
 
Amunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,144
Default

I agree with what others have said, her voice really is very reminiscent of Jonell's.
__________________
"If it's unique or exciting, I go after it." ó Lara Croft
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:03   #14
Vaskito
Relic Hunter
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 8,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Sure if you want Lara to be in her late 30s, around 40, with a slight French twinge. I don't think she sounds like Lara, especially for Shadow. Camilla sounded perfectly fine in Shadow as a continuation of the character she's been playing over three games.

What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind. I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.
This! Well said!
__________________
Death by chocolate is a myth
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:20   #15
Rai
Moderator
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a bubble outside the universe
Posts: 32,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
I didn’t say I feel as though this character is a tribute to classic Lara, I said that this character REMINDED me of classic Lara. The first thing I thought of when I heard her talk was Lara and as a fan of TR, I naturally made a comparison to what we have now. So of course seeing the braid along with the voice and demeanor contributed to my observation.

Of course this voice wouldn’t have been a good replacement for Shadow, but in my opinion, the trilogy all together. If anyone disagrees, that’s totally fine, but I like a more stern sounding Lara. This thread was just to highlight the voice actor, not the braid as it was just an add on.
I made my conclusions based on your comments I've highlighted, and the emphasis you made in your bolded statement on the braid, below.

I stand by my statement. And I disagree, this character is not more Lara than Lara is in TRS (TR'3, Rise, Shadow), or has more Lara characteristics. Just my opinion of course. I don't mind her voice at all, it's smooth and soft while also having that motherly sternness, but I can't hear Lara or see Lara-like characteristics here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
So once again, a new game has come out that has a character with more similarities and characteristics to Lara Croft.

Skip to 15:29 She sounds just like classic Lara!
*Video*

This character, in my opinion, she reminds me of Lara Croft more than the Lara we actually have now. I was hoping Camilla Luddington would try to sound more unique and British in SOTTR as this actress does, but it seemed to be the other way around. No hate towards Camilla, but this voice actor sounds and acts closer to Lara Croft than her. She even has a braid!

I just can't fathom the fact that other developers and games tribute classic Lara more than Crystal Dynamics/ Eidos Montreal. You now have other characters wielding dual pistols, braids, and Lara Croft traits. We can only hope for the next game, but there's only so much hoping a fanbase can do before they loose it.
__________________
If you like reading, please find and read my fan fic.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:30   #16
AlexyLC
Historian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portugal
Posts: 337
Default

I started to play this game 2 days ago and I'm in love. And yes...she does remind me of Lara.

Her growth throughout the game is so well-paced and in the beggining of the game she doesn't have a braid but how she gets it it's so natural and suddenly it's one of her "trademarks". TR team could write down some notes.
AlexyLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:32   #17
RodneyMac12
Historian
 
RodneyMac12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I made my conclusions based on your comments I've highlighted, and the emphasis you made in your bolded statement on the braid, below.

I stand by my statement. And I disagree, this character is not more Lara than Lara is in TRS (TR'3, Rise, Shadow), or has more Lara characteristics. Just my opinion of course. I don't mind her voice at all, it's smooth and soft while also having that motherly sternness, but I can't hear Lara or see Lara-like characteristics here.
You donít see the potential though? Iím more than sure this voice actress could switch it up even a little bit to sound like a believable Lara. I canít see how everyone else except you can hear the resemblance to CLaraís voice.
__________________
"If, no when you step out of line, you'll get it"
RodneyMac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:50   #18
Costel
Archaeologist
 
Costel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,995
Default

So a french femele character sounds like Lara Croft who is supposed to sound british cause the big problem people have around here is that the new Lara lacks british accent. Ooookay!
__________________
I only like Reboot Tomb Raider games and I am proud of that.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 14:52   #19
Error96
Explorer
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Huddersfield, UK
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
Skip to 15:29 She sounds just like classic Lara!
Wow she totally does as well. That tone she has is exactly the same as Jonell's and perfect for Lara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind.
A brunette with classic Lara's braid. I am pretty sure it is a nod to TR and good on them for respecting a cultural icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.
Reboot Lara is just fine as she is? Well you know I can't agree with that so far. She still might transform into something fantastic though. 'If CD or EM want her to look more classic ...' well there is also the direction the community want. Look at the response their refusals on these areas have had during Shadow's cycle. The devs may not realise the benefits of such a move yet as the fanbase already does but if they did make that move they might be very pleasantly surprised by the response.
__________________
'Classic Lara is always in fashion' - Meagan Marie

Last edited by Error96; 18-05-19 at 14:54.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 15:01   #20
Vaskito
Relic Hunter
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 8,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
You donít see the potential though?
To me personally, not. Her voice sounds too mature for the current iteration of Lara, and I'm no accent expert, but from my foreigner's pov, there's something about her that stands a bit off to me, but IDK if it's intentional or not for when that game is supposed to be happening. Lastly, Camilla is reboot Lara to me
__________________
Death by chocolate is a myth
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.