www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 12-05-22, 13:33   #1
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

Default English subtitles for FMVs

Yo all

I've been working on adding English subtitles to the AoD movies. These are in MPEG-2 format and can be used in-game.

A few notes:
  • I've chosen to use reborninshadow's Japanese PS2 FMVs for the subtitles project. reborninshadow said that he mixed the FMVs with English audio, and also added nakamichi680's Ending Credits to the final FMV. The cutscene before the credits is still the Japanese version.
  • The four videos containing dialogue (or five in the Shaman pack) have been upscaled to 1920x1080 using cubic interpolation. This is necessary to make the subtitles appear crisp and clear. I've left the remaining videos alone because this isn't an upscale project.
  • The movie subtitles is intended to match the in-game subtitles style, it's not a perfect resemblance but it's close enough imo. TRJTA gave me a hand with identifying the font used in his HD Font texture, and said font is used for all subtitles in this project.

There are two packs to choose from - Vanilla and Shaman. The Vanilla pack contain all the videos you would expect to find in retail.

In the Shaman pack - the first three intro videos are re-ordered; first is the Core logo, second is the opening cutscene (see video above), and third is the Shaman cutscene. The Shaman cutscene was released by Peter Connelly with a remastered audio back in 2016. The Edios logo video is not a part of this pack.

Download

All feedback on grammar/spellings is welcome, that sort of thing

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 18-07-22 at 13:10.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-22, 19:41   #2
reborninshadow
Explorer

Nice job, I will be using these in my next playthrough (I kinda forgot I even did that Japanese FMV pack )

Hope you'll do one of these for the TR4 FMV's as well in the future.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-22, 04:30   #3
LateRaider
Professor

Oh, this is awesome. I'll use these, too. Did you pull the dialogue from my old TR)AoD Text Cleanup, by any chance?

Edit 1 - Oh, I already noticed a typo... "caucasion" -- should be Caucasian.

Edit 2 - I pulled the text from each FMV from my Text Cleanup (95% of it is there, just unused since subtitles don't play over the FMVs.) Here's a transcription of everything.

Credits

(Police Officer) There have been seventeen reported murders so far in this latest outbreak of Monstrum killings. It would appear to be the work of a single, highly psychotic perpetrator. The name of the latest victim was just released, a Prof Werner Von Croy. A female, described as Caucasian, brunette, and wearing a ponytail was seen leaving the most recent crime scene. Officers are advised to use extreme caution when apprehending the suspect. At present, nothing appears to link any of the individuals involved. There are no known survivors of these attacks, so far.

Shaman

(Werner) Give me your hand, child.

(Werner) Noooooo!

(Putai) You have unique strengths, Lara. Learn to trust them.

(Lara) But how will I remember, Putai?

(Putai) Whenever your need is strong, remember the amulet. It will help you to learn.

(Lara) The past still troubles me.

(Putai) Have patience. Whatever is useful from the past will come to you as you need it. For now, learn what you must with each new situation.

(Lara) I will learn, Putai.

(Putai) There is a great darkness ahead of you, Lara. Remember the amulet. And use your strength wisely. You are ready.

(Lara) Where are you?

(Putai) Where I have always been. Remember the amulet.

Chase

(Werner) Help me, Lara. I need you to get something for me.

(Lara) Go on.

(Werner) I'm tracking five Obscura Paintings for a client called Eckhardt. But he's a psychopath.

(Lara) Why should I care?

(Werner) Because I'm being stalked! People are dying out there!

(Lara) Handle it, Werner.

(Werner) Lara, please. L-Look, go and see this woman, Carvier. She can help.

(Lara) I'm going.

(Lara) Egypt, Werner. You walked away and left me.

(Werner) Get out!

Flashback

(Werner) I'm tracking five Obscura Paintings for a client... People are dying out there!

(Lara) Handle it... going.

(Lara) Egypt, Werner. You walked away and left me.

(Werner) Get out! Get out of the way!

(Werner) Nooo!

Revelation

(Werner) I'm tracking five Obscura Paintings for a client called Eckhardt. But he's a psychopath.

(Lara) Why should I care?

(Werner) Because I'm being stalked! People are dying out there!

(Lara) Handle it, Werner.

(Werner) Lara, please. L-Look, go and see this woman, Carvier. She can help.

(Lara) I'm going.

(Lara) Egypt, Werner. You walked away and left me. There was no pity then.

(Werner) Get out! Get out of the way!

(Werner) Noooo!

(Eckhardt) Von Croy! You located the Painting for me. Why have you not delivered it?

(Werner) I... daren't collect it. It's too dangerous. B-But she'll be able to.

(Werner) Noooo!

(Eckhardt) Your usefulness is finished.

(Eckhardt) You humans break so easily.
Tomb Raider Forums member #54094 - Always late to the party

Last edited by LateRaider; 13-05-22 at 06:46.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-22, 06:01   #4
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

@reborninshadow Thank you!! Yup adding subtitles to the TR4 movies is definitely on my to-do list

@LateRaider Ah, I didn't know there was a script for movie dialogues in the TR:AoD Text Cleanup. I've actually relied on transcripts from a variety of sites, and some I've typed in myself. Thank you for copying and pasting the script here. I'll get started on matching the text and punctuation up. There'll be an update soon.

One change I've made which I think makes sense is using the name 'Police' instead of 'Narrator' at the start of the introduction cutscene.
Old 13-05-22, 06:42   #5
LateRaider
Professor

That's fine. IMO you don't need to include character name labels; they're not present in the normal dialogue subtitles, right? I just included the labels to make it easier for you, to be able to tell who is saying what.

Edit - To clarify that I don't think they should be included, I changed them to be parentheses in italics. I hope that's more helpful.

Last edited by LateRaider; 13-05-22 at 06:47.
Old 13-05-22, 06:57   #6
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

Ah yes, don't worry I won't add their names for every single line. It's just that I add the names when it's not clear who's speaking onscreen, this is intentional for people who are hard of hearing.

Nevertheless, adding the labels (in your script) is helpful for me, thank you

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 13-05-22 at 07:07.
Old 13-05-22, 13:09   #7
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

Version 1.1 is out, thanks to LateRaider's help

A few notes:
  • The purpose of this update is to ensure that my subtitles punctuation matches up with the AoD Text Cleanup.
  • Some mistakes are corrected, for example 'victims' is changed to 'individuals' in the opening cutscene.
  • In the AoD Text Cleanup above, when Putai says "Whenever your need is strong," I'm pretty sure she says "mood" instead of "need," but can I ask for second opinions on this? In the meantime "mood" is used in v1.1.
  • Lastly I think it's not necessary to add Werner's agonizing "Nooooo!" when he's being murdered so I left it out. It doesn't really add clarity
Old 13-05-22, 15:57   #8
reborninshadow
Explorer

All FMV's have subtitles in the game's text files even though they didn't end up putting them in the game, it's not specifically in the Text Cleanup mod.

I checked the vanilla text files and it says " Whenever your need is strong remember the amulet."
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-22, 21:45   #9
LateRaider
Professor

Yeah, sorry. I didn't communicate that clearly enough :sweat:
Old 14-05-22, 09:42   #10
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

Shaman pack v1.2 is out. The only change here is the word "mood" is now replaced with "need"

Thank you for your help @reborninshadow and @LateRaider. I have to say I'm quite proud of this project.