Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-02-19, 13:38   #30191
DragonSlayer

Some guy wrote into Gamecentral yesterday saying now that Resident Evil is cool again, he's trying to decide whether or not they should try to bring back co-op to the series and should RE8 have co-op.

This guy would also like to see co-op in the RE3make, the original RE3 didn't have co-op what makes him think that the RE3make will have co-op, true RE3 has a little more action than the first two Resident Evil games put together but much less action than RE5 and RE6, that doesn't mean co-op in RE3make is a good idea.

One word no, Resident Evil doesn't need co-op again it didn't work in RE5 and RE6 and it did not work in Dead Space 3, some games are just better off without co-op, both Resident Evil and Dead Space are better off as single player games, co-op makes the game less scary.

The one and only time I tried co-op was in RE5, it was the Jill and Wesker boss fight the idiot I was playing with shot Jill not once but twice with the rocket launcher, after that I quit and never played co-op in RE5 again.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 13:58   #30192
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
co-op makes the game less scary.
As much as I love RE5 and its brilliant co-op, I have to agree.

Co-op and being able to strike an enemy with a punch or a kick (or with what RE6 did with punches not requiring you to stun the creature) and easy dodging all make the game less scary.

RE2 Remake handled it all perfectly and I hope RE3 Remake follows its style.
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 14:24   #30193
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
As much as I love RE5 and its brilliant co-op, I have to agree.

Co-op and being able to strike an enemy with a punch or a kick (or with what RE6 did with punches not requiring you to stun the creature) and easy dodging all make the game less scary.

RE2 Remake handled it all perfectly and I hope RE3 Remake follows its style.
I think Zero and from what I've played of Outbreak off-line did it pretty well due to still having vulnerable characters but I also don't want it shoe-horned into Re3imake.

It should be a spin-off sometime in the future.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 15:10   #30194
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I think Zero and from what I've played of Outbreak off-line did it pretty well due to still having vulnerable characters but I also don't want it shoe-horned into Re3imake.

It should be a spin-off sometime in the future.
Well, it wasn't exactly co-op in Zero. It was actually a case of double tension, having to take care of two people at the same time all by yourself. That and inventory management could end up being more stressful than scary.

The Revelations games removed this tension when the 2nd character was immortal (or pretty much immortal) and was there to help you (a bit, almost nothing). And only Rev2 was "co-op".

And Outbreak...well, everyone but you could die and you'd still see them again in the next stage I never played online, though, but I imagine it'd have been pretty fun (maybe not scary though).

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 08-02-19 at 15:11.
Old 08-02-19, 15:17   #30195
Samz

Quote:
Well, it wasn't exactly co-op in Zero. It was actually a case of double tension, having to take care of two people at the same time all by yourself. That and inventory management could end up being more stressful than scary.

The Revelations games removed this tension when the 2nd character was immortal (or pretty much immortal) and was there to help you (a bit, almost nothing). And only Rev2 was "co-op".

And Outbreak...well, everyone but you could die and you'd still see them again in the next stage I never played online, though, but I imagine it'd have been pretty fun (maybe not scary though).
Yeah its why I don't like the partner co-op in 6 and Revelations they're just weak damage sponges there.

In Zero it was mostly fine, I say mostly because the out-of-nowhere split-up moments could really screw you over on a first play through and the god damn hookshot taking up most of your inventory.
Old 08-02-19, 16:07   #30196
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
the god damn hookshot
That thing! How many times do we have to use it? 4? 5!?

The game should have statistics of how much distance the hookshot travelled.
Old 08-02-19, 16:12   #30197
Samz

Quote:
That thing! How many times do we have to use it? 4? 5!?

The game should have statistics of how much distance the hookshot travelled.
The worst is that they made it take up 2 slots.

So it eats up a chunk of your inventory, in a game where the Grenade Launcher and Shotgun ALSO take up two slots. (And the SMG and Rocket Launcher if we're counting unlockables.)

The 2008 Alone in the Dark game had a less annoying inventory system and that game forced 2 items into your six-item inventory permanently for the last quarter of the game.

Last edited by Samz; 08-02-19 at 16:14.
Old 08-02-19, 16:14   #30198
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
[youtube]

SJWs trying to bring politics into everything again.
I saw a few people write about that article, they all weren't impressed. It's extremely obvious the writer was trying to find something to spin on the game:

"Police Station used as a safe haven!? Haha....not for people of color....ever."

"I can heal myself, but not the black guy in the main hall? Why do I have to be so selfish and keep supplies to myself?"

"White girl open carries a gun? Of COURSE she can with no problem..."

Saying you read a walk-through of the game back in 1998 and played it for a few minutes, isn't really the same thing as actually completing the game fully. The article was full of cringe.

Now saying that, the writer obviously needs to play Dead Rising 1 and 2. That's more of what she was asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Some guy wrote into Gamecentral yesterday saying now that Resident Evil is cool again, he's trying to decide whether or not they should try to bring back co-op to the series and should RE8 have co-op.
Wasn't Resident Evil "cool again" back in 2017, with the release of RE7? Thought the media loved it.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 16:44   #30199
tomblover

Did anyone ever take video game journalism so seriously? I mean, I can't tell you the last time I read a Kotaku story or whatever - and this would've been long before the omnipresence of "SJWs" and their self-righteous opposers.

The only people I know who actually read these kinds of articles are the same people who go on to make outraged videos like the one above, where they act as if there's some kind of massive threat goin' on, to the sanctity of their vidya.

It's a niche interpretation, that article, for the benefit of the echo chamber that the writer inhabits alongside their readers. Same goes for the video this dude made, and his crowd, honestly - it's just a different echo chamber we're talking about, then...

I wish people would find real issues, or at the very least something that's actually interesting to talk about.

All this back-and-forth **** just feeds off itself, creating this unfortunate cycle that lets people like the writer, and this dude just as well, have a platform upon which to spout their performative nonsense.

Not to sound like Ayn Rand or anything, but this eternal bickering literally serves no purpose. Let it die.

Last edited by tomblover; 08-02-19 at 16:53.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 16:45   #30200
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
Wasn't Resident Evil "cool again" back in 2017, with the release of RE7? Thought the media loved it.
The media did but apparently not everyone liked RE7, Mr GaGa said on page 3009 of this topic that he had no desire to buy that garbage,also check the post I made in response to his post https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...ostcount=29914

I changed a part of his post from RE7 being a horrible game to RE6 being the horrible game.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote