Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 11-04-18, 09:53   #1111
Rai

Hmm, so the last of Survivor's Crusade is out today. Interesting angle of being viewed in an alternative POV than Lara.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 09:58   #1112
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hmm, so the last of Survivor's Crusade is out today. Interesting angle of being viewed in an alternative POV than Lara.
What did you think of it? Was it the best issue yet?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 11:24   #1113
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Wouldn't say that. It's okay. It sets up the next arc. I'm glad Philip Sevy is back. Even though he drew Lara slightly masculine, imo, he still does a better job at drawing people than Ashley, especially facial expressions.
Old 11-04-18, 11:41   #1114
Ellioft

Quote:
Not in term of art it's laughable and It really makes me angry because it's the most laziest ever they have done.

https://imgur.com/a/NlhIt
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 13:43   #1115
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Not in term of art it's laughable and It really makes me angry because it's the most laziest ever they have done.

JESUS THAT'S BAD! The preview pages actually looked way nicer. And this issue was delayed two months! What happened here?

Beginning to think Ashley A. Woods probably should just stick to projects she actually seems to like. She doesn't seem professional enough to give her best in projects she's just doing for the money, which from this issue I assume it's the case for Tomb Raider. Just makes her look bad and unprofessional.

Thank god Sevy is back for "Inferno"...
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 14:14   #1116
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

I don't know what's going on with the art. Some pages look really good and detailed while others look like they were done in only a few minutes. I have a feeling Ashley Woods is phoning it in because her art usually looks wonderful:

I don't think she's that interested in the Tomb Raider comic she's working on because she's clearly not giving it her all.

Last edited by biscuits; 11-04-18 at 14:18.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 16:10   #1117
TombRaider2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
We definitely haven't read the same Tomb Raider comics.

First, Lara in the comics is exactly how she should be within the timeframe they pass and her personality and experience doesn't clash with the games.

In the comics between TReboot and RotTR Lara is coping with the events on Yamatai, and finds that perhaps danger and adventuring is what helps her cope with her feelings. She starts going somehow prepared for her adventures, but is perhaps not as equipped as she should. She also starts seeing that perhaps her father had some merit on his research on immortality. This goes in line with how Lara was at the start of RotTR, where she is using adventuring and finding the Divine Piece to help her understand what she saw in Yamatai and prove what she saw was real and her father was right, she somehow prepared for adventuring, but not as prepared as she should (trusting the wrong people on Syria and not having guns in Siberia).

In the comics between RotTR and SotTR Lara is starting to get more action capable, and getting in a increasingly darker mental state. That also goes in line with what SotTR seems to be aiming, with a stronger looking Lara that seems perhaps too determined in getting what she wants.

And comic Lara isn't cool sassy hard or badass? She is the most cool sassy hard and badass she has ever been in the Reboot continuity. Especially in the "Spore" and "Choice and Sacrifice" arcs!
I lil the comic but to me everything u said doesnt resonate with me if you play 2013 then read the comic the first comica do make sene i agree. But then going to chernobyl with a catsuit weapons an a whol lot of expertise makes no sense to me whatsoever. Thats one thing that doesnt seem canon
TombRaider2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 16:41   #1118
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaider2013 View Post
I lil the comic but to me everything u said doesnt resonate with me if you play 2013 then read the comic the first comica do make sene i agree. But then going to chernobyl with a catsuit weapons an a whol lot of expertise makes no sense to me whatsoever. Thats one thing that doesnt seem canon
I wouldn't call that a cat-suit, seems more like a biker suit of leather pants and jacket. Perhaps the pants are a bit off for reboot Lara, but the jacket is within reboot's outfit. Besides, her bringing weapons to Chernobyl didn't clash so much to me: she brought weapons for her second trip to Yamatai, which was before the Chernobyl trip, and she brought weapons to Syria in RotTR, which was before Siberia. If anything, her bringing no weapons to Siberia, which she knew would be filled with Trinity agents, seems the odd choice for reboot Lara, actually.

Quote:
I don't know what's going on with the art. Some pages look really good and detailed while others look like they were done in only a few minutes. I have a feeling Ashley Woods is phoning it in because her art usually looks wonderful:
https://i.imgur.com/tQKdgg9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W7TC14U.jpg

I don't think she's that interested in the Tomb Raider comic she's working on because she's clearly not giving it her all.
Which is such an odd professional choice. I mean, if you don't show an interest in working in one comic, why accept the offer? And even if she is doing it just for the money and couldn't care less for Tomb Raider, not doing your best in every project you tackle just seems completely unprofessional. Hell, if I had to hire an artist for a comics, I'd have a problem hiring her after her clear lack of interest in her own work...

Last edited by Portugalraider; 11-04-18 at 16:48.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 17:14   #1119
Sayonel

Quote:

If she drew like that in Tomb Raider I wouldn't have any complaints. You can clearly tell that she has no interest in the series and is only doing it for the money. Sadly, she's only hurting her reputation as the "It girl" because who wants to hire someone that slacks off if they are not interest in a particular comic.

I wish Dark Horse would just stick to one artist instead of jumping around every Arc. I'm not a big fan of the constant artist switch out, especially when the art fluctuates from decent, good and then eye gougingly awful.
Sayonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 17:55   #1120
Rai

At least story-wise we got a good lead for the next arc - a location and what Lara's looking for.