www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-04-21, 01:54   #31
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
But which is your favorite one? Maybe I can fix it.
You’re art is okay. You clearly have talent.

But the very premise of it, I disagree with. It’s just ...

It’s to the point where I’m not sure if you’re joking.
Old 22-04-21, 03:26   #32
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
You’re art is okay. You clearly have talent.

But the very premise of it, I disagree with. It’s just ...

It’s to the point where I’m not sure if you’re joking.
I appreciate it, but if CD doesn't use one of these 3 designs in the next game then my talent is meaningless. Now which. one. is. your. favorite.

Old 22-04-21, 03:48   #33
SoraSakai
Professor

I hate them all equally.
Old 22-04-21, 04:44   #34
tomblover
Legend

Unless they turn TR into a sci-fi property (like, adjacent to Deus Ex), none of these proposed designs make much sense for the setting. That's the problem.

The technological baseline of the TR universe is more-or-less the same as our own; the science behind everything isn't any more advanced than it is in the real world.

You've got supernatural forces being applied in ways that resemble sci-fi tech (i.e. Atlantis), but that's different.

Lara being able to wield Mjölnir because she's in possession of magical trinkets, is quite different from having an exoskeleton grafted onto her skin, or whatever.

Lara is not a superhero. TR isn't styled after superhero fiction.

I'm all for Lara looking like a UT99 character, don't get me wrong, but it'd have to be in some kind of alternate universe where there's an internal logic to that design choice.

If she was a space pirate, it'd be dope as **** - but she isn't, so...

Last edited by tomblover; 22-04-21 at 04:48.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 11:15   #35
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Unless they turn TR into a sci-fi property (like, adjacent to Deus Ex), none of these proposed designs make much sense for the setting. That's the problem.

The technological baseline of the TR universe is more-or-less the same as our own; the science behind everything isn't any more advanced than it is in the real world.

You've got supernatural forces being applied in ways that resemble sci-fi tech (i.e. Atlantis), but that's different.

Lara being able to wield Mjölnir because she's in possession of magical trinkets, is quite different from having an exoskeleton grafted onto her skin, or whatever.

Lara is not a superhero. TR isn't styled after superhero fiction.

I'm all for Lara looking like a UT99 character, don't get me wrong, but it'd have to be in some kind of alternate universe where there's an internal logic to that design choice.

If she was a space pirate, it'd be dope as **** - but she isn't, so...
Agreed. The outfit has to make some degree of sense even if it's stylised. Lara is that kind of character, even in the campy cartoony Core era she was still grounded in some degree of sense.

My favourite outfits for Lara are the lightweight, streamlined athletic clothes, with a feminine style edge. Not the ugly bulky mercenary-wear she has in the Reboot games, form-fitting athletic. Considering how much of a movement athleisurewear has become in recent years you'd think they'd design something along those lines for her.

Gimme some thick-material athletic leggings, maybe with a pair of fitted workout shorts over them and a stylish sports bra, add a baseball cap with her hair in that low Reboot Lara ponytail. Give the outfit a bright accent colour too, not all flat grey.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 22-04-21 at 11:26.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 14:36   #36
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Lara is an adventurer, not a secret agent. I never understood that obsession since TRmovie 2001 with transforming her into that. She only needs a backpack, gloves, her guns... To explore temples. Gadget always made me see her as ridiculous.

Less is more
Honestly she doesn't have much in the movie

Pistols/backpack/binoculars (just like in TR4/5/Curse of the Sword) flares and that's all it's not different from the games.

The headset is used in one scene when she doesn't have any other choice but that's all.

Last edited by Ellioft; 22-04-21 at 14:38.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 16:05   #37
CircusBabysGal
Historian

The third one is... something... I like it

Last edited by CircusBabysGal; 22-04-21 at 16:08.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 18:21   #38
KylieDog
Archaeologist

Since she is a billionaire (what?) and should act like it according to OP she should probably just hire an entire team to venture out before her and set up hoists and such so she can just walk all the way to whatever treasure, and hire armed guards for any dangers that need killing.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 18:03   #39
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Since she is a billionaire (what?) and should act like it according to OP she should probably just hire an entire team to venture out before her and set up hoists and such so she can just walk all the way to whatever treasure, and hire armed guards for any dangers that need killing.
This is a low key great point.

But I do think having KEY ITEMS that are high tech but not intrusive to her adventuring. IE: The backpack in the movies felt like it went from this brown little backpack to this sleek black high-tech luxury sports vessel. She can still have her regular outfits, but certain things like the backpack, glasses, holsters, they can be turned up a notch with cool features. Love how the backpack dispensed new ammo when she was on the ladder shooting the stone statue in the first movie. I just think it adds impact. Nothing that oversteps it's boundaries like the 3D level scanner mode in TRU that was actually my idea (Sorry about that, they're not all winners ).
Old 02-05-21, 09:09   #40
TankGirl
Hobbyist

I disagree, much of the tomb raider appeal is in its 90s roots, the walkmen, the round glasses and the colour palette of the classic games just scream 90s, and i feel like CD should take advantage of that on the next game, give lara a walkman, so the player can listen to 90s music while raiding tombs for example and all that jazz.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote