Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-03-11, 17:20   #91
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_th_an View Post
Any chances that you include the glide-enabled DosBOX and the glide-enabled EXEs as an option in your package? That way people will be able to run the game in full resolution and with no slowdowns in weaker PCs.
but have you actually ever tried the installer yourself?
because as for glide enabling, it's as enabled as can be and has always been from the first draft
slowdowns in older machines imho has nothing to do with any glide-enabled dosbox or exes whatsoever,
anyway what dosbox build are you using or thinking of?
ykhwong's ones, maybe? those are good, but you see personally making an installer utility I'm inclined to use official releases as much as possible vs. svn or cvs builds, especially when the glide patch itself is really maintained by gulikoza
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Build..._SVN_builds.3F
that's why I'm waiting for him to come up with a 0.74 release of his patch to match the current dosbox version

at any rate, I'm very interested in knowing what you have found (compared if possible with the installer) which in your experience is worth of consideration especially about the resolution enhancements and how you'd go about it since afaik gulikoza's latest dll requires a commandline argument to make it.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 11:22   #92
na_th_an

I understand your reasons, It's good practice to always use official releases.

I was wondering 'cause you said that 640x480 was the maximum "true" resolution for TR1 and that it would be upscaled (or so I understood) to fit the desktop resolution. In the build I've used, you can use true full resolution. As all the output is translated directly from Glide to pure hardware OpenGL or Direct3D calls, there's no time spent on rendering by software, so the game will perform way better on slower PCs.

I have to admit I haven't used your solution. I will when I get home next week Honestly, I didn't know that your installer included the Glide enabled versions. I just thought it hadn't due to what you said about not being able to raise the resolution to a value higher than 640x480, so I assumed you were using the normal, software rendering EXEs which are pretty much CPU-dependent to run smoothly

The build I use (which you can find in the post I've linked before in this thread) runs "out of the box". You unzip the build, run it, and from there you install TR and then overwrite the TOMB.EXE or TOMBUB.EXE for the 3dfx versions (found in the very same post). When you run TOMB.EXE, it just works. You can configure the resolution from the DosBox window menu and switch to full screen at will. That way I just told the emulator to output the glide screen to 1440x900 in 32 bit, fullscreen and it worked.

Last edited by na_th_an; 05-03-11 at 11:25.
na_th_an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 22:39   #93
gidierre
Grease Monkey

I made a few comparing tests between
1) dosbox installer v1.6
2) the manual install w/slightly different dosbox setup you quoted
3) Glidos v1.40
and finally being on x86 Vista
4) the dgVoodoo installer, just to leave no wrapper unturned

now focusing on #2 you proposed:

those exes you mentioned won't allow the extra psx tracks to be played, but that can be arranged replacing them with the ad hoc versions I used (actually, only TRI is at stake here since TRUB has no addon tracks) so no problem

the disturbing issue of gaps among textures, which so often plagues dgVoodoo and at times dosbox too, has returned there, while it's hopefully nothing but a far memory using v1.6, at least it sure is for me
to see what I'm talking about:

finally the resolution.. I guess you know when you talk about 1440x900 fullscreen (I assume it's the same 17" display I have before me at this moment) either you like stretched images (I dislike them) or it's got to be pillarboxed keeping aspect ratio, i.e. original 4:3 for TRI which 1440x900 obviously isn't
the latter is WXGA+, the former has got to be VGA or a multiple thereof
referencing
http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/
so that XGA is the best we can get using this 17" screen, correct?

after thorough (I hope) comparison of the 4 wrapper solutions I talked about at the beginning, tbh I see no special difference or limitation affecting 1.6 installer
dgVoodoo for instance lets you nicely customize your gamma and screen resolution as shown here:

yet the bottom line is it's much the same to me

hence atm I just see no pros and if anything a few minor cons of going about changing the installer.

Last edited by gidierre; 07-03-11 at 20:47.
Old 17-03-11, 21:27   #94
Discoking

Hi

I have a problem with TR1 which has appeared after installing and playing TR2.

I used and have used your installers for a while now to play TR1 and recently installed TR1 fresh with the 1.6 installer and the game ran sweet with no probs.Anyways I played all the way to Natlas Mines and then fancied a change so I installed TR2 and started playing that again with no probs.However when I launched TR1 again the game now starts in a teeny tiny window in the middle of my screen,still full screen but with huge blackness around the game screen.

How can i get it back to full screen? tried alt-enter and changing various stuff in the config files but nothing has worked yet.

I'm using vista 64 and a nvidia 570
Discoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-11, 23:59   #95
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoking View Post
I have a problem with TR1 which has appeared after installing and playing TR2..
However when I launched TR1 again the game now starts in a teeny tiny window in the middle of my screen,still full screen but with huge blackness around the game screen.
How can i get it back to full screen? tried alt-enter and changing various stuff in the config files but nothing has worked
no, Alt+Enter won't work anyway, you can check in openglid.ini the InitFullScreen item which ought to be =1
which will still very likely be so since nothing has changed it

I think the issue has been caused by a gfx driver resetting of sorts
either you reinstall the installer over itself and see (but this could not be enough)
or else you tackle the probable core of the problem where it comes from (so called centered timings which you/we don't want do we) and open nvidia control panel (changes with driver/card versions)
among digital display properties or whatever it's called, the scaling with fixed-aspect ratio choice is good for widescreens when going for pillarboxing at non native resolutions, e.g. like a 4:3 game/program (640x480 or multiples of it) on a 16:10 display
that's what TR2 setup may have been messing with
at least this would be my first bet.
Old 18-03-11, 18:56   #96
Discoking

Thanks for the reply,TR2 had indeed changed my nvidia scaling setting to none.Changed it back and it runs full screen again

many thanks
Discoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-11, 15:17   #97
Muyfa666

Great installer gidierre. I haven't been able to get TR1 running in a long time.

I do have a problem thou. When I start the game, after the intro movie, the camera freezes and I only get a static image of Lara in the entrance of the cave. I hear sounds if I press buttons, but the image is frozen solid.

Any idea what the problem might be?

EDIT: I get the game working perfectly when using yhkwong's build and manually setting everything up. I do not get any movies thou.

What is the Windows x64 fix for FMVs anyway?

Last edited by Muyfa666; 20-03-11 at 11:00.
Muyfa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-11, 17:30   #98
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
When I start the game, after the intro movie, the camera freezes ...
Any idea what the problem might be?
have you tried the patch for fmvs (and not only for those) that I added to the installer's zip? chances are it's going to fix that too

other than that, I'd need to know more about your hardware & specs
(use diagnose.exe to be found at tombraiderhub.com tech support page).
Old 20-03-11, 18:07   #99
Muyfa666

I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get the game running with your utils gidierre.

I suppose that x64 environment makes most things harder.

I managed to get the game running by using a SVN build of DOSBox with glide, then just using bits and pieces of info from this forum and google in general.

I got it running very good, so I think I'll settle with that for now. All good?
Muyfa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-11, 18:35   #100
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get the game running with your utils gidierre.
I suppose that x64 environment makes most things harder.
well I have no clear clue what kind of issues you had and with what hardware so I can't really comment
I doubt it's the x64 architecture per se though since it's been working there for many players.