Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 26-01-20, 00:00   #1
New Dwight
Inactive

Default returning to trle

looking to get back in trle but been a long while since trng 2017. seeing the tombeditor rise i'd like an overview of most of the major changes with trng and its compatible with other editors.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 00:10   #2
SSJ6Wolf

I don’t think trng has changed drastically, except maybe for the plugins that people have developed for it like the Classic Inventory. But this is coming from someone who was also out of the loop until a few months ago.

Tomb Editor is great but a bit stand-offish with TRNG. You can setup TRNG triggers in the editor and get the script values, but you cannot go the other way by translating script values to readable triggers. You also cannot copy + paste triggers. Despite these things I still enjoy using tomb editor, and feel it is quite a bit faster to build levels than NGLE.

Last edited by SSJ6Wolf; 26-01-20 at 00:16.
SSJ6Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 01:09   #3
SrDanielPonces

Trng is still the same mess
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 01:20   #4
LaraCablara

I'm an old time TREP+NGLE user who missed out on TRNG entirely. Tomb Editor is wonderful, TRNG is not. I know it really advanced the community and all but for some reason it feels off. Like even using the new features, it feels sloppy compared to levels before that era.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 02:18   #5
New Dwight
Inactive

thanks for the info guys. so tombeditor is still compatible with trng, just more modern to use?
Old 26-01-20, 13:30   #6
Caesum

Atm Tomb Editor can do everything ngle.exe can do with the exception of plugin support in the triggers window. Unfortunately Paolone abandoned the community without telling anyone how the plugins work exactly, so it is impossible/very hard to implement them without the source. Apart from that though, it should be able to do everything the old editors could do. TE also has some new features like the ability to set effect type in rooms (so eg. you can have water room without reflections or dry room with lighting effects), it can create diagonal walls, allows some fancy experiments with room portals etc.

Last edited by Caesum; 26-01-20 at 13:34.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 12:31   #7
New Dwight
Inactive

=Ok. I'd like to see to use tombeditor than old ngle.
and what's the WAD2? Is Wadmerger still being used/updated? Does meta2tr still work with? i only kept scarce few of my meta2tr mqo objects from before would like to use few.
still only can use 256x256 texs/no bumping mapping for meta2tr?

flep patches and 441k hz sounds still work? all my last sounds were in 44100 hz.

Last edited by New Dwight; 27-01-20 at 12:37.
Old 27-01-20, 16:52   #8
SSJ6Wolf

TombEditor is actually a suite of tools. They have WadTool to modify wads and SoundTool for sound effects. Wad2 is a format for WadTool only, but I haven’t used it yet. The TombIDE ties it all together and offers ng script editing.
SSJ6Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 17:45   #9
SrDanielPonces

No meta2tr, wad2/wadtool still not 100% complete.

Kisses
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 18:10   #10
Joey79100

TombEditor and its tools make levels, the engine is still the same. So your patches still work. Meta2tr is another story, since (if I remember correctly) it seems to except things a certain way in the level file and TE doesn't put them the same way (although it's still valid for the engine), so it's not compatible (and meta2tr the guy is gone so no way to know or to improve it).
Keep in mind that TE can directly import meshes into the level as imported geometry. Not as advanced as modifying whole rooms but it helps a lot.

WADMerger has not been updated in at least 10 years (if not 15), but as mentionned by SSJ6Wolf TE has its own tool, and mostly, its own WAD format. Don't get it wrong, TE accepts classic WADs just as well, but WAD2 has several features, like true UV mapping being possible, animations names being editable and saved into the WAD2 (state names aren't saveable inside WAD2 but it could be if people needed it (it's their own format so they can expand it however they want)).
WadTool has its animation editor which is more advanced than WADMerger's, it can import animations (FBX, DAE) directly (it can't export yet), it has a working chain mode, speed preview, sound preview...
Also, something TE offers regarding WADs is the ability to load multiple WADs/WAD2s in the same project (so you can have a LARA Wad for example that will be used for all your levels, no need to merge things into one single WAD).
Another thing is multiple texture sets, same thing: you don't need to merge anything.

In the future, when TR5Main is ready, TombEditor (and its tools) will be targeted at making levels for it, so it will probably evolve along with it to allow new things not possible in the TR4 engine.

TombIDE is the "replacement" for NG Center, but does more. I mean, sure all the additional tools aren't implemented (yet, some might be in the future), but it does several things automatically without you having to toiche the script or mess with your folder. It can create a clean project folder, make a playable package out of it, it allows to manage your levels easily... And thats all I know because I'm not an active level builder myself so I never really got to use it.

Oh and of course, TE and its tools are modern apps that use modern tech, with no performance/compatibility issues like what we're used to, and it has several devs behind it so it won't just be given up if Monty ever leaves the community (something I wish won't happen anytime soon though). So it has a solid future.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote