www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 04-12-19, 11:26   #31
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Are you for real? You call me out for twisting your words where I did nothing of the sort (and anyone who can read can see that) and immediately after that, in your very next sentence you put words in my mouth and LITERALLY twist my words to make your point? Again: are you for real?

As for the your statement that somehow more thought has been put into ending of Rise than ending of 13 - I already wrote this in my previous post so here: we just have very different ideas of what Tomb Raider can be as a game. Don't twist this one too and than attack me.

More thought has been put into the end of Rise when it comes to combat maybe (maybe, bc it all rests on top of a sad and obvious fact that deathless ones and that whole final battle sequence is a recycled and reskinned version of TR13 finale complete with final boss battle, other villain getting killed, artefact getting destroyed, literally the same thing) but when it comes to actually wrapping up a game (which requires to also end storylines and characters arcs in some sort of menanigful ways etc not just have cool combat scenario) Rise doesn't even come close to 13. And that's because Rise didn't have any character or story arcs to begin with, everyone is exactly the same from the begining to end and from the get go you know she is going to find a lost city and find the divine source.That's why I say TR13 ending is better than Rise. It7s more comlete and since it's first: it's also original for TR. That's my opinion.

If someone defends the new TR trilogy around here it's me (whenever I have the time) but I am also not blind and can see the bad as well as good. TR 13 and Shadow are very well connected and are both essential to Lara's origin story while Rise is a beautiful empty shell of a game which adds waaay too little to the overall trilogy idea (as I said, only adds some lore to this universe). Rise is why this doesn't feel like a trilogy at all. Nothing from that games changes TR13 and even worse, nothing from that has any impact on Shadow. It is completely self contained and it should've been one of Lara's future adventures instead.
You are blind too cause you clearly cannot see that I am not even talking about the story if it is good or bad.
Old 04-12-19, 15:20   #32
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
You are blind too cause you clearly cannot see that I am not even talking about the story if it is good or bad.
Hahahaha so you are for real, wow, calling me blind now because you are talking about combat and I am not - than why did you even reply to my post where I clearly talked about the overall content of Kitezh vs Libertalia including story and character moments on top of exploration and combat? You remember you were the one replying to me first right? Pls explain because I am now very interested to read your next reply if I don't get bored/tired of being trolled by then

Last edited by jackoimina; 04-12-19 at 15:21.
jackoimina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 15:31   #33
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
You twisted everything I said in a futile atempt to prove your right. Oh sorry I forgot that is not platforming if you dont spend 1 hour to position Lara before jumping and press 7 buttons to grab a ledge. Yes it is just combat but not a mindless one like you try to make it sound. It is not great but more thoughts have been put into it than at the end of TR2013.
No wonder you spend 1 hour in every jump in the classics if you press 7 buttons to grab a ledge.

Automatic platforming with white ledges is not platforming, its a QTE without button promps.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 15:47   #34
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Automatic platforming with white ledges is not platforming, its a QTE without button promps.
Oh, but holding a key for manual grab, now that skillful, complex and fulfilling
Old 04-12-19, 16:08   #35
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
No wonder you spend 1 hour in every jump in the classics if you press 7 buttons to grab a ledge.

Learn what sarcasm is. I was exaggerating obviously cause you don't actually spend 1 hour.
Platforming is jumping from point A to point B. From one platform to another. Some devs add some extra stuff to it to make it a bit more challenging. But not having that extra thing does not mean is not platforming .
Old 04-12-19, 16:15   #36
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Oh, but holding a key for manual grab, now that skillful, complex and fulfilling
Well, it is more engaging than hovering from platform to platform automatically, that's for sure.

Costel, i know what sarcasm is, maybe you didnt catch mine.

Platforming may essentially be what you say, but if it is done automatically, then is just a qte. Not more engaging than RE4/5/6 jumps are.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 10:12   #37
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Learn what sarcasm is. I was exaggerating obviously cause you don't actually spend 1 hour.
Platforming is jumping from point A to point B. From one platform to another. Some devs add some extra stuff to it to make it a bit more challenging. But not having that extra thing does not mean is not platforming .
The quality of platforming sections in a game is defined by what comes between those platforms A and B though. Good platforming is when you have an environment in front of you that is designed in a way to use all Lara's (or Nates, or chloes etc in adventure games) traversing abilities plus some patience, speed and so on in order to get to platform B. Only Shadow has that done mostly right.

So you're right, not having 'that extra thing' in between doesn't mean it's not platforming but it means it's bad and lazy. And that's what should be the goal, to have something (whatever that is, story, character arcs, environments, tombs, anything) DONE RIGHT in a game, not just..done. And Rise is simply a done game with a TR name on it. TR can be so much more, building off of 13 and Shadow.
Old 07-12-19, 10:00   #38
_Tomb_Raider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post

U cannot have a trilogy and your goal to be to separate the games and have new players be able to come into that trilogy at any point (which was obviously CDs 'genius' plan with Rise but definitely not EMs plan with Shadow).
This is definitely not true.

The transition from TR2013 to Rise is handled so much better than from Rise to Shadow. Everything is cohesive and well connected between the first two.

Shadow, on the other hand, plays like a game that has nothing to the with the previous games and events that took place. OR, in other words, it was obviously meant to be playable for players who never touched the previous two games.
Old Yesterday, 16:50   #39
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Rise doesn't follow from the reboot well at all. Lara feels like a completely different person with different motivations. The entire trilogy is segmented as hell and it honestly feels like a 'choose your own origins story' situation for every installment.