www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 12-05-17, 13:41   #11101
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Villainous doesn't have to mean evil, it can mean undertaking criminal behaviour - which of course she does. She steals antiquities and other things, breaks into places she shouldn't and kills people. She's a crook and so she's a villain.... I don't think it matters whether she sells them or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
But doesn't this apply to all Laras ?
You know, thinking on this, I don't think it does apply to reboot Lara.

I don't think this Lara steals antiquities. Or breaks into places she shouldn't.

She didn't in TR2013 and she didn't in Rise either.

In TR2013, she was on an expedition to discover something, but my impression is that she was undertaking a legitimate archaeological expedition (I mean they were filming it for a show fgs to broadcast to the world....) to find and document something, not break into something unofficially and steal it for herself.

Her intentions were very different from classic Lara.

Classic Lara doesn't go on archaeological expeditions, she locates things for personal whim or obtains them for others (eg, Willard) and she doesn't care how she does it, or where she breaks in - the Louvre, the British Museum, Area 51, etc.

Reboot Lara went on an archaeological trip and was shipwrecked and then attacked by crazies. Everything she did once there was to save herself and others, the actions of self-defence.

And she didn't go to the island to loot, she went to discover and that is the difference between classic Lara and this Lara.... and the same difference between a tomb raider (thief) and an archaeologist....legal v. illegal.

In Rise, it was slightly different - because she went to pursue something to prove her father was right in his studies. But again, my understanding is that her intention was to reveal this to the world (to prove her father right) and use the item for good - which again means sharing it with the world.

This is different from classic Lara, who was always looking for things for herself or on behalf of others and had nothing to do with noble motivations. Sometimes good came out of what classic Lara was doing and she sometimes "saved the world" (eg, TR4) but it wasn't the original intention. Her intention always was to LOOT. Reboot's Lara's intentions are different..........

I'd say original Lara is a crook and reboot Lara is not (yet anyway). Sometimes original Lara does good as she has a good core (in the same way that Hans Solo is a crook who does good) and sometimes reboot Lara does things that aren't strictly legal, although I'm actually struggling to think of what I've seen her do that is criminal... You'll have to remind me of the specifics if there are any. All of the killing she does could be considered "self-defence" against people who are villains who are after her, whereas classic Lara will kill under other circumstances.

The two are definitely not the same people and it's because one has been made heroic and the other is anti-hero. And one is definitely a crook and the other is dabbling her toes in possible criminal behaviour (although again, I'm struggling to see where she actually does this...) whilst pursuing other motives.
Old 12-05-17, 16:19   #11102
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

I see , and I think you've made some really good points .

The only anti-heroic glimpse we've seen from Reboot Lara so far is the prison cutscene , how she was willing to let Jacob being imprisoned , only until he hinted at valuable information that might be useful for her , only then she frees him .

I'd love to see a more grey approach to Lara in Shadow , that she comes down to the conclusion that pursuing mysteries for her own curiosity isn't a noble motivation , and hopefully she gets to discover her dark side and accept it .
Old 12-05-17, 17:54   #11103
lizardspock110
Professor

New Renderr Lara goes to town

-----------
Edit: I also love this intense conversation happening here, so many good points :'D

Last edited by lizardspock110; 12-05-17 at 17:56.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 18:18   #11104
lance6439
Legend

Audio is a bit pitched because of copyright reasons I'm assuming but WOW. I loved this portion of China shown in the movie. The entire scene is so beautiful.

4:27

edit: also the scene where Lara plays that Chinese game and helps the man win <3

Last edited by lance6439; 12-05-17 at 18:22.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 19:26   #11105
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I see , and I think you've made some really good points .

The only anti-heroic glimpse we've seen from Reboot Lara so far is the prison cutscene , how she was willing to let Jacob being imprisoned , only until he hinted at valuable information that might be useful for her , only then she frees him .

I'd love to see a more grey approach to Lara in Shadow , that she comes down to the conclusion that pursuing mysteries for her own curiosity isn't a noble motivation , and hopefully she gets to discover her dark side and accept it .
Yes, I think what reboot Lara is doing is possibly stepping slowly in that direction. She maybe will drift slowly into more ignoble things.

And you're right, that Jacob scene is pivotal. It shows her character acting in a way that is understandable considering the situation, but not expected for her. She has a cold and tough attitude when necessary....
Old 13-05-17, 17:46   #11106
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Those deleted scenes from the 2nd TR movie are iconic. My favorite one is when angelina jolie is on the boat thing on the water with the food and fish.

Last edited by peeves; 13-05-17 at 17:51.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-17, 17:25   #11107
lizardspock110
Professor

Something interesting I thought of relating to the discussion, when Jacob talks to Lara after pulling her out of the river, she says she would have thought about it if it where him - as opposed to just rescuing him, so maybe she is changing from "hero" like.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-17, 13:20   #11108
BluenoseGames
Relic Hunter

The Tomb Raider Suite Kickstarter launches on the 26th May
Old 15-05-17, 16:13   #11109
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

^Yep, saw the video this morning. Looking forward to the 26th.

EDIT: Also here's the link to the new website: tombraidersuite.com

Last edited by NoahCrofRaider; 15-05-17 at 16:27.
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-17, 00:30   #11110
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

I'm interested to see the deleted scenes from the first TR movie since it's the better of the 2.