www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-09-17, 20:04   #11621
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

I blame all that on TR3 . That game was totally unnecessary (I mean , in the way it was designed , it looked barey different to TR2 , hell even the model remained the same) , by the time TR4 arrived with all of its new ideas , new gameplay elements , new puzzle and level design , more ambitious and coherent story and juicy length , most people (outside the fandom) thought that it's another reskin of TR2 , and that damaged the sales and reception of the game in a very unfortunate manner

Best case scenario would've been :

TR1 1996 - TR2 1998 - TR4 2000 , or TR1 1996 - TR2 1998 - TR3 2000 (with the new ideas and design ideology of TR4) and then TR4 2002 as the first next gen Tomb Raider .
Old 06-09-17, 20:13   #11622
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I blame all that on TR3 . That game was totally unnecessary (I mean , in the way it was designed , it looked barey different to TR2 , hell even the model remained the same)
That's because originally TR3 was supposed to be TR2.5 but Eidos insisted making another full title. Right? Hence why most things stayed the same and it was mostly some graphical improvements and new moves. Gameplay overall remained the same.

I now appreciate TR4 for how much it improved on the variety of gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think people were just getting bored by the time TR4 came out, because they were saying "oh the gameplay is exactly the same!".
Yes it annoys me when people say that because surely don't fix what's not broken. Why would Core Design completely change the styles of the games when they worked. Obviously improve on the games though.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 06-09-17 at 20:16.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 20:35   #11623
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
That's because originally TR3 was supposed to be TR2.5 but Eidos insisted making another full title. Right?
Really ? This this the first time I hear that it isn't mentioned in Meagan's book either though it would make sense . If only Eidos weren't those incredibly greedy individuals...
Old 06-09-17, 20:38   #11624
Revenge
Archaeologist

Quote:
Really ? This this the first time I hear that it isn't mentioned in Meagan's book either though it would make sense . If only Eidos weren't those incredibly greedy individuals...
It's true tbh. TR4 was supposed to be TR3 and TR3 was just a TR2.5, but since Eidos wanted a game every year and TR2.5 became kinda well developed, they decided it to be TR3. (IIRC)
Old 06-09-17, 20:56   #11625
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Can you imagine having to put out a new game every year? It would give you no time to dream up new ideas never mind make it very difficult to keep on top of new technological trends. :/
Old 06-09-17, 21:15   #11626
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I only learnt of it a few years ago but I can't remember where. It makes sense considering the story is pretty simple and it allows you to choose your own path through the game.

It's kind of like The Lost Legacy. Originally UC4 DLC and then changed to be a standalone title. Uses UC4 Engine, gameplay features etc... People were saying "it looks just like UC4" ... well duhh. So that's why TR3 is very similar to TR2. Just more of the same with just a few new stuff.
Old 06-09-17, 21:53   #11627
Revenge
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Can you imagine having to put out a new game every year? It would give you no time to dream up new ideas never mind make it very difficult to keep on top of new technological trends. :/
A game every year was definitely too much, Core was so pressured that many had to work like crazy at night, and it was impacting their personnal life. They delivered us some really amazing games with all that pressure, and for that they are amazing.

And tbh I don't care if TR3 looks similar to TR2, because there is still a huge graphical improvement between the two for me, with colored lighting and weather effects, 3d pickups, and fire effects...
To me TR3 looks really beautiful, but TR2, not that much
Old 06-09-17, 22:03   #11628
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
To me TR3 looks really beautiful, but TR2, not that much
Tomb Raider 3 Gold is definitely more beautiful than both TR3 and TR2 , but I think that TR2 looks better than TR3 . Never mind colored lighting and slightly ..very slightly better graphics , TR2 was pretty much consistent at the very least , but while TR3 looked great at places (South Pacific) but blatantly ugly and messed up at others (London) , there were some serious problems in the texturing and the geometry and an overall feeling of rushing .
Old 11-09-17, 20:30   #11629
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I randomly came acrosss this video, I thought it was quite funny.

Old 12-09-17, 18:59   #11630
irishhips
Tomb Raider

New render by me

HD Version: https://irishhips.deviantart.com/art...Lara-704115641